Adguard adblocker destroys adblock plus, less ram, cpu etc

Question

I was looking at the most popular downloads on softpedia and i saw adguard adblocker which i had never heard of, it turns out it is incredible!

Here is info about it: http://forum.adguard.com/showthread.php?1662-Adguard-for-Firefox-open-beta-test

It uses less cpu and memory, i tested with around 14 tabs and my ram usage was 53mb in chrome, adblock plus uses 101mb with the exact same tabs! The other amazing thing is that it is incredibly easy to manually block images, frames etc, here are some screenshots: 

x6k4yr.png

The addon is free for all browsers but if you want child protection filtering functionality enabling you have to pay. The chrome version is in the chrome store, firefox version is available here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adguard-adblocker/

• Like 3

Murray Hurps is a wack job, and it appears that Jeffrey Cole has abandoned ship. I think that goes along with Murray Hurps giving all his worldly belongings away, I think he owned the ship :)

Yet, he is still charging for 4.x of AdMuncher. Maybe he is not so committed to the sheading of all his worldly belongings in order to give away AdMuncher 5. 

Don't hold your breath on ever seeing AdMuncher 5, head on over to AdGuard to get an AWESOME AdMuncher replacement.

Make SURE you whitelist Neowin :)

No thanks I will stay with Ad Muncher.

You do know you can get a free Adguard license by becoming a beta tester, as explained here; http://forum.adguard.com/showthread.php?505-Adguard-5-beta-testing

The best beta testers *may* get a free lifetime beta license too, so there's that incentive to use it and report issues if you find any.

I believe with a BETA you get 2 or 3 licenses.

No thanks I will stay with Ad Muncher.

I have a lifetime for AdMuncher and after trying AdGuard for a couple of months I was hooked. I will admit that AdMuncher in it's present form is pretty much plug and play, where there are some configuring for AdGuard, and a lot of people just like plug and play.

worth a try I suppose. If nothing else they have a better graphic designer than adblock does lol.

Doing this at the edge of the network with a secure gateway/router is a far better solution imo

Is there a router that does this "out of the box" or do you need to hack your router with third party modifications to be able to do it?

There isn't a way to check or edit what each list is blocking.

you can edit your custom filters here: chrome://adguard/content/options.html

You can see which filters are used by the default "english" filter list by clicking on "edit filters list" then clicking on "homepage" next to the 'english list' then click "view all the rules", this will take you to this page: http://adguard.com/e...rules.html?id=2

I don't think there is a way to see which things are blocking on each individual page though if that is what you mean.

Is there a router that does this "out of the box" or do you need to hack your router with third party modifications to be able to do it?

Cisco routers like the 881w and 891w can do this ootb as can pretty much any business router. Ebay is your friend.

i just replaced adblock edge with this one. can't say much yet.. let's wait and see

I don't understand . Isn't Adguard a paid software ? Then how is Firefox and Chrome extension free . Or will it become paid later ?

adguard is paid but the extensions aren't. If you want child protection filtering enabled you have to pay. Also the adguard standalone app allows all browsers to share you blocklists etc, that software is paid. The extensions are still great though, better than adblock plus overall.

How can you see which ads have been blocked?

I like the selection feature, I used to use another addon for that, Easy Element Hider, or something like that. Anyway, I guess if you are using the full version, then this function isn't available?

Been trying this out since late yesterday, so far so good.....

Though every time I read "Adguard" it makes me think "Asgard" instead.

Memory usage is down between 1.4-1.5 GB in Firefox....but this is as a tab-junky with 100+ total tabs open. IIRC with ABP it would juggle around 1.7-1.8 GB, swelling up to 2-2.2 GB after a few days of opening/closing new tabs (which I won't know how much Adguard will swell up to until a few days from now).

I've whitelisted Neowin but I don't see Ads (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?). Any suggestions on ways to check or ensure it's allowing ads on Neowin?

I use Adblock Edge ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-edge/ ) . The main reason Firefox became my default browser again :) . ABP was just too heavy .

APE is a fork of ABP and is basically the same underlying code, just with the "allow unobtrusive advertising" option removed/disabled. I doubt its much lighter than ABP, if at all.

If anyone wants to make APB 'lighter', the best bet is do use a filter that doesn't have element hiding. The way Adblock Plus handles element hiding is the reason for its resource usage issues, because it injects huge css stylesheets into every page. There's a version of easylist with no element hiding: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist_noelemhide.txt

Doing this at the edge of the network with a secure gateway/router is a far better solution imo

• Centralised block list for all devices only need to update one.
  • Blocks adverts on all devices not just PCs with no software to install (Windows Phones, Smart TVs etc)
  • Using VPN Dial in it can block adverts on remote networks using the same centralised block list.

I like this. Can you tell me how to do that in my ASUS RT-AC68U router?

Seems a bit better than ABP, so far, of course whitelisted Neowin, still the only site I ever whitelist 

Been trying this out since late yesterday, so far so good.....

Though every time I read "Adguard" it makes me think "Asgard" instead.

Memory usage is down between 1.4-1.5 GB in Firefox....but this is as a tab-junky with 100+ total tabs open. IIRC with ABP it would juggle around 1.7-1.8 GB, swelling up to 2-2.2 GB after a few days of opening/closing new tabs (which I won't know how much Adguard will swell up to until a few days from now).

I've whitelisted Neowin but I don't see Ads (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?). Any suggestions on ways to check or ensure it's allowing ads on Neowin?

Got this from Boo Berry on page 2:

To whitelist Neowin, add this rule to your filters (I know I have!):
@@||neowin.net$elemhide,content,urlblock,jsinject

Works well and I'm seeing ads on here

Got this from Boo Berry on page 2:

To whitelist Neowin, add this rule to your filters (I know I have!):
@@||neowin.net$elemhide,content,urlblock,jsinject

Works well and I'm seeing ads on here

I saw that and wasn't sure if it was any different than simply adding neowin.net to the whitelist.

I changed to using that method instead and I still don't see any, but I also run noscript which seems to block the ads. Any suggestions on configuring noscript to allow everything through on Neowin or should I make a thread for that (I saw that you can configure ABE in Noscript to allow scripts from other domains only when on a trusted parent domain, but I couldn't get it to work properly)?