Lumia 1520, WP8.1, and Cyan battery life

Since receiving the Lumia Cyan update my battery life has improved dramatically with Windows Phone 8.1. I would say it's at least three to four times better. On the developer preview after a day of average use my phone would always be at our below 20%. Since updating I haven't been below 50% after a day of regular use. This is amazing. I dare say it's even better than it was with Lumia Black with 8.0 GDR 3.

• Like 2

It was a developer preview after all, it wasn't really intended for daily use ;)

Nice, good to know.  I hope HTC pushes out some firmware of it's own for the 8X I have, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. 

It was a developer preview after all, it wasn't really intended for daily use ;)

It was called a developer preview, but just to get around the carrier approval process. It was extremely stable, the only problem I had with it was the horrific battery life. I'm loving this improvement I'm seeing now and I attribute it to the firmware update, which unfortunately isn't available with the preview program. Maybe that will change now that MS is running the show though.

Cyan most likely includes driver updates, which lead to improvements. Hoping Cyan restores battery life on my 920 too. :)

It was called a developer preview, but just to get around the carrier approval process. It was extremely stable, the only problem I had with it was the horrific battery life. I'm loving this improvement I'm seeing now and I attribute it to the firmware update, which unfortunately isn't available with the preview program. Maybe that will change now that MS is running the show though.

Most likely reason is that the DP did not have the firmware update. Nokia probably made optimizations to the firmware to make it play well with WP 8.1 and consume less battery. The DP by the way is the final bits but only pushed earlier.

The DP by the way is the final bits but only pushed earlier.

Somewhat false as they did update the DP at least three times between April and last week when I got the official release from AT&T.

Somewhat false as they did update the DP at least three times between April and last week when I got the official release from AT&T.

DP follows a faster OS update cycle so probably thats why. The consumer release cycle picks up whichever would be the latest at that point on the DP stream.

Cyan most likely includes driver updates, which lead to improvements. Hoping Cyan restores battery life on my 920 too. :)

Which is taking forever to get an update....