Neowin Monthly Photography Challenge - Aug '14 (Frozen in Time)

I would take more if I could afford to replace my gear!

Aye,  I can't afford much either. I like the saying "if you cant replace it, dont buy it", easier said than done, but one time, too many, i've missed some awesome events because of not willing to risk it.  Too lazy to search, I got mob-bitch-slapped, ruined

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/791826-neowin-digital-gallery/#entry591228394

Took me around 2 years to replace :/

Aye,  I can't afford much either. I like the saying "if you cant replace it, dont buy it", easier said than done, but one time, too many, i've missed some awesome events because of not willing to risk it.  Too lazy to search, I got mob-bitch-slapped, ruined

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/791826-neowin-digital-gallery/#entry591228394

Took me around 2 years to replace :/

I know how you feel about taking the risks on going to the events...

That's the reason I go to the simple events such as zoo, car shows, etc..

Not concerts and ball games... because there are crazy/drunk people, chanting their team on and destroy stuff such as burning the couch, break windows, etc.

• Like 1

I know that the event is really fantastic and something I'd love to see but I would be super paranoid about taking my camera there, I've heard nightmare stories of that dust being so fine that regardless of what you do it gets inside your camera.

Most people had cameras under some kinda of protective case, but it really is fine and goes everywhere. I tried to only take pictures when the powder was initially thrown in the air but even so I can see it's picked up a lot of dust. Hopefully it hasn't damaged the camera, but I've used it a few times since and nothing obvious so far. 

Event was great definitely worth visiting. 

Well how bout posting in teh digital gallery more often :p

Don't worry will be trying more in the future. I've been a long time viewer but have only just started to actively post. :D

• Like 1

I know that the event is really fantastic and something I'd love to see but I would be super paranoid about taking my camera there, I've heard nightmare stories of that dust being so fine that regardless of what you do it gets inside your camera.

An old trick from when i was in the film industry, plain old clingfilm. pull tight over the lens and wrap around the back of the camera. 

Allows you to get decent shots, good access to camera controls and the really fine dust particles cant get through. Cheap man's splash proof casing ;)

• Like 1

My Entry :) - not the best in the world and more artistic than real -- really... love the color in the above shot :) 

IMG_6507.jpg

Next topic - My Favorite Snack - Artistic interpretation 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

:wacko: please don't kill us.

It's perfectly harmless. Practically held together by binder clips.

Of doom. :shifty:

What is that?

It's a laser.

Part of the optical path of a flow cytometer. We use it to analyze how cells, or fluorescent labels that we attach onto cells, interact with light.