Files App - Does it See ALL Files?

Here's an example:

I have some sort of YouTube app that allows me to download youtube videos to watch later.

Does the Files app from MS allow me to see these videos and move them elsewhere?

Windows Explorer doesn't as it only shows me a few folders, not individual app folders.

Can't check as I am still waiting for WP 8.1 (Lumia 920 - Eurpoe)

Thanks

Depends on how that YouTube app works. If it is downloading the videos in the user folders, then yes. If it is downloading them in an isolated storage, then no.

Oh, and if you can't see the files in Explorer, you won't see the files in the Files app either. It is just a very basic app that is not useful at all, it serves no purpose. It doesn't even show the true filesystem. Think of it as a simple Libraries viewer, nothing more.

There's isn't any real reason a user needs access to the Windows Phone file system. The Files app allows you to manage music, videos, and pictures should you want to move them back and forth between an SD card and the phone.

There's isn't any real reason a user needs access to the Windows Phone file system. The Files app allows you to manage music, videos, and pictures should you want to move them back and forth between an SD card and the phone.

Sure there is. Please stop with that nonsense. When videos keep going in the Pictures folder, and there is no way to transfer them into the Videos folder, you know there's something wrong. Also, whenever an audio file is "downloaded" by an app, it should be put in a user folder if the user wants to, not in the isolated storage for that app, making the audio file inaccessible for every other app. Furthermore, if an X file is unreadable by any system app, it should be downloaded wherever I want, and not the OS to block it because it couldn't care less what my intentions were.

Artificial limitations are just that, stupid artificial limitations, and the do not serve any purpose.

Files sees your phone and an SD card, if there is one. However, it does not give you root access. You cannot see the app data, app download, app source files, OS files etc.

WP 8.1 allows you to install certain apps to the SD card. If you installed the YouTube downloader app to the SD, I think the stored data (like downloaded videos) should be on the SD, where you could move them into a seen folder from a Windows PC then files should see it.

Sure there is. Please stop with that nonsense. When videos keep going in the Pictures folder, and there is no way to transfer them into the Videos folder, you know there's something wrong. Also, whenever an audio file is "downloaded" by an app, it should be put in a user folder if the user wants to, not in the isolated storage for that app, making the audio file inaccessible for every other app. Furthermore, if an X file is unreadable by any system app, it should be downloaded wherever I want, and not the OS to block it because it couldn't care less what my intentions were.

Artificial limitations are just that, stupid artificial limitations, and the do not serve any purpose.

I don't have a problem with Files only having access to the libraries.  However, the problem here is that apps are saving files to their isolated storage rather than the libraries.  With any luck this will change pretty quickly as WP8.1 roles out and developers get used to the new features.

Looks like it is a no then :/

That's a shame as the app (not YouTube, but similar) has put a video file in it's own storage so I can't move it to a "safe" place so I can un-install the app.

As I have a Lumia 920 then there is no SD card and I don't really mind about that either.

Will have to download the file elsewhere and transfer it as a separate video.