Eset is on sale, should I go for it?

Eset Antivirus is like $20/year and the Smart Security will be like $30/yr. I have the Malwarebytes Premium already, would the antivirus be a good companion or should I get the full suite?

http://www.eset.com/us/back-to-school/nod32-antivirus/?elq_mid=1325&CMP=emc-bts-14&elq=b11bcab8ca924c45af9aa930da1d759b&elqCampaignId=766

• Like 2

I use ESET Smart Security and it's great. I use nothing else beside it and the system performance is barely affected at all. It cleans out adware and spyware from installers and it even labels Google Toolbar as adware. I haven't run into any problems with adware, spyware or virus in a very long time.

• Like 3

I use ESET Smart Security too and it's great, I unchecked the option to have toolbars and adware removed and potential unwanted software since it also blocks some software I don't want to be blocked in that case. So instead of checking that option at install I used malware bytes as a companion which is great for people who want to have more manual control over adware and toolbars and such.

Eset for trojans and other virusses is a absolute must, so many ads these days and download sites that serve viruses that malware bytes does not detect but ESET does.

What happens when you combine ESET with EMET?

EMET is just protecting against zero day leaks of windows itself and will also continue to work when a 3rd party anti virus is installed. Security essentials on the other hand will be disabled and replaced by ESET.

EMET is just protecting against zero day leaks of windows itself and will also continue to work when a 3rd party anti virus is installed. Security essentials on the other hand will be disabled and replaced by ESET.

Ok sounds good. I might combine the two.

• Like 2

Ok so I got the ESET on my Surface Pro 2 and a few desktops. They are discounted even more when you buy for multiple devices. So far from what I can tell, it is very fast and easy on resources. Didn't find any infected files which is good.

• Like 2

Ok so I got the ESET on my Surface Pro 2 and a few desktops. They are discounted even more when you buy for multiple devices. So far from what I can tell, it is very fast and easy on resources. Didn't find any infected files which is good.

nice, which version did you get?

NOD32 is fantastic. Least intrusive antivirus you can have with a spotless security track record.

• Like 3

Drop Malwarebytes and go for ESET.

Can't recommend NOD32 software highly enough! (Y)

Err thats some hilariously bad advice.

Malwarebytes is meant to compliment your antivirus and catch the things that leak through.

I used to use NOD32 until something slipped through, ended up using Avast + Malwarebytes Pro after that and haven't had anything since.

• Like 2

Drop Malwarebytes and go for ESET.

Malwarebytes is software with a different purpose and goal then ESET, Malwarebytes will never replace ESET and ESET will never replace Malwarebytes.

ESET is meant to stop the actual virusses that run in the background that you don't notice and can make your pc slow etc.

Malwarebytes on the other hand is meant to remove toolbars, adware, spyware and other crap that you certainly notice and hate everyday.

Currently for removing toolbars and other adware Malwarebytes is the best to get but don't expect it to stop normal trojans and other virusses like worms, those will easily get past Malwarebytes.

Avast > ESET

Although if you are set on ESET then I would ignore the Smary Security, chances are you're behind a router and routers all have firewalls now so a firewall on your PC is pointless.

NOD32 is fantastic. Least intrusive antivirus you can have with a spotless security track record.

Sorry Ambroos, have to disagree with you there :p  No AV company has a spotless record when it comes to updates allthough ESET is a lot better than most (i think the last was just a high cpu usage one back in ~2011). They also implememted the rollback feature in v6 i think...

As to the OP`s question. That sort of depends, if you just wan`t a no nonsense slightly configurable AV then go for Nod32 AV if you aren`t behind a router or don`t trust windows firewall then go for Smart Security (which also has an Anti Spam filter that the AV doesn`t).

The`re both very good at what they do.

Avast > ESET

Hmm depends have been using Avast for years even though it had the ridiculous metal circular UI back then:

217092-avast-free-antivirus-5-0-beta-the

After that it finally had a windowed UI but it was way too fancy and started blocking files I didn't want to.

I still wonder what they were thinking when they made that ridiculous UI in the past :/

• Like 1

I currnently use Symantec Endpoint Protection.....

Lol.

Given the advice (most of which is great) in this thread, I think you know what to do next!

Good luck, and enjoy ESET. (Y)

Hmm depends have been using Avast for years even though it had the ridiculous metal circular UI back then:

After that it finally had a windowed UI but it was way too fancy and started blocking files I didn't want to.

I still wonder what they were thinking when they made that ridiculous UI in the past :/

lol WTF is that thing? A malware player?

Anyway, considering I never used virus protection even in the wild west days of Windows XP, and that I recently moved data off 4 hard drives from my old XP PC to this one, ESET found nothing. I guess I was pretty good at safe internetting. But for this price I figured why not have some peace of mind.

• Like 3

Because obviously every UI had to look like a car stereo!?

• Like 2