Skype app for WP7 is not published anymore!

wrack

I loved and did a face palm when I saw those commercials knowing Windows 7 phones could not go to 8 were around the corner.  

Yeah MS did a nice straight face lie.

FunkyMike

Can't you just side load it? Get the XAP and whatever tools needed to root it.

wrack

Can't you just side load it? Get the XAP and whatever tools needed to root it.

1. I have the XAP but my phone is not developer unlocked so can't side load.

2. Even if I can load/install it, the app won't even login anymore. They have flicked the login switch off at their end, even for those who still have the app but they can't login :(

FunkyMike

That is a shame :/

The 800 is a really nice phone but I guess it might be time to switch.

Watch out .. I read somewhere that not all WP8 devices will get the newest update that is coming out right now. I do not recall if this is RAM / CPU bound or just a marketing/Telecom choice.

neo158

That is a shame :/

The 800 is a really nice phone but I guess it might be time to switch.

Watch out .. I read somewhere that not all WP8 devices will get the newest update that is coming out right now. I do not recall if this is RAM / CPU bound or just a marketing/Telecom choice.

That's one phone, the HTC 8S which only has 4GB internal storage and is being discontinued by HTC anyway. All other devices WILL get the latest update.

• Like 1
wrack

I will be getting either the 930 or 1520. Safe to say they will be supported for 2 years...

FloatingFatMan

Hah, whoa, that is a prime example of how not to treat your customers.

Don't worry, you're not alone. They've done the same to anyone using Android 2.2 or earlier, too.

Eventually, old OS's just go out of support.  It's sucky, but that's just how things are.

I will be getting either the 930 or 1520. Safe to say they will be supported for 2 years...

I wouldn't say it was safe to say that, tbh...  Just ask the folks who bought an HTC 8S...

Ambroos

Don't worry, you're not alone. They've done the same to anyone using Android 2.2 or earlier, too.

Eventually, old OS's just go out of support.  It's sucky, but that's just how things are.

Difference being that Android 2.2 and older are used by less than 1% of the market by now. Android 2.2 doesn't even support front cameras.

Windows Phone 7 is a relatively recent platform that shouldn't be hard to support.

They don't have to keep the app updated, but there is absolutely no reason why the old app should stop working.

Google still supports all their services on all old app versions. You can still use Google Talk on an Android phone with 1.6. You can still use the Play Store on 2.1. If a service is well-made it should not have any problems servicing requests from old versions.

Obry

Difference being that Android 2.2 and older are used by less than 1% of the market by now. Android 2.2 doesn't even support front cameras.

Windows Phone 7 is a relatively recent platform that shouldn't be hard to support.

They don't have to keep the app updated, but there is absolutely no reason why the old app should stop working.

Google still supports all their services on all old app versions. You can still use Google Talk on an Android phone with 1.6. You can still use the Play Store on 2.1. If a service is well-made it should not have any problems servicing requests from old versions.

The situation with Skype is a little different. Microsoft acquired the product form a third party and has been doing substantial changes under the hood that make things a lot more complicated than with Google Talk.

wrack

Problem is Nokia and in effect Microsoft are still selling Lumia 800 as new devices around the world. Gross arrogance/ignorance is the word that comes to mind.

wrack

Exactly the point I wanted to make. They unpublished the app and switched off the login servers too.

Ambroos

The situation with Skype is a little different. Microsoft acquired the product form a third party and has been doing substantial changes under the hood that make things a lot more complicated than with Google Talk.

Still. Trillian uses an ancient Skypekit.dll that hasn't been updated since the summer of 2012 and I can still sign in with it and use it just fine even though Microsoft has been saying they're going to shut it down since mid-2013.

It's just a dick move, especially considering it's Microsoft's own platform. If they dropped support for Android versions below 4.0 or iOS below 7 nobody would really mind.

Ambroos

Still. Trillian uses an ancient Skypekit.dll that hasn't been updated since the summer of 2012 and I can still sign in with it and use it just fine even though Microsoft has been saying they're going to shut it down since mid-2013.

It's just a dick move, especially considering it's Microsoft's own platform. If they dropped support for Android versions below 4.0 or iOS below 7 nobody would really mind.

Nevermind that, Microsoft has killed SkypeKit completely earlier today. Asshats.

Luc2k

Nevermind that, Microsoft has killed SkypeKit completely earlier today. Asshats.

I guess that means the workaround is no more. To bad Trillian has some contract of some sort with MS not reverse engineer Skype, or maybe they just don't do that stuff any more.

It's a pity really as I despise Skype messenger.