Snapshot-Linux x64 v0.7

Living up to my name, it seems. :rofl:  I broke it.

KCMInit is segfaulting at login (and thereby causing a whole slew of other failures) using the recommended Nvidia proprietary drivers and causing the whole session to fail when attempting to log in. I hadn't even gotten around to making a different user account yet.

It's dead, Jack. Suggestions? :shiftyninja:

Living up to my name, it seems. :rofl:  I broke it.

KCMInit is segfaulting at login (and thereby causing a whole slew of other failures) using the recommended Nvidia proprietary drivers and causing the whole session to fail when attempting to log in. I hadn't even gotten around to making a different user account yet.

It's dead, Jack. Suggestions? :shiftyninja:

i have no possibility to try it with nvidia drivers, therefore can't really help you with it sorry.

does it work with the free nouveau driver?

what you mean with stutter and hang? graphics related or generally? if the latter, use it a week or 2 it should improve drastically because of preload demon working in the background; also applying one or two ram/system tweaks in the ultimate tool might help depending on your system specs.

Yes, it's graphics-related with the open source driver. Nothing you or I have any control over. :)

sorry to hear :/

if it helps i also have never luck with the proprietary catalyst driver, always issues with xorg memory leaks and suspend function.

• 1 month later...

i am proud to announce:

Snapshot-Linux 1149 x64 0.5

snslinux2.jpg

What's new:

• Knode
  • KDE Conky 2xcore1 theme
  • Qupzilla 1.8.4 (replaces firefox)
  • Ubutricks 14.11.17
  • Libre Office updated

Download Mirror 1: Dropbox (2.1GB)

More Mirrors tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...

uh .... look.... who's that?

i think it's santa! :woot:

he brings some awesome stuff. in short:

santa2.jpg

have a look at this big changelog:

- Updated Qupzilla (1.8.4 -> 1.8.5)
- IPV4 over IPV6 preference fix. 
- New LibreOffice Icon Theme
- Inconsolate Konsole Font
- KDE 4.13.3 -> 4.14.2
- Breeze Colors Transition Pack to KDE Plasma Next
- Updated Dolphin+ File Manager
- K9 Copy reloaded
- Color Folder
- KShredder - Shred Folders and Files in Dolphin+
- Libre Office 4.3.4 -> 4.3.5
- New Splashscreen - Transitional to KDE Plasma Next
- DEB/RPM Converter for Dolphin+
- Konsole Gimmick (cowsay+fortune)
- New Wallpaper
- Spamassassin Spam Filter for Kontact/Kmail

About 0.6: I have long thought about when i should start introduce plasma next and while the progress is there, i have also seen it's not yet stable ennough for daily work. however, as it might be included anytime soon, i have now included a transition pack to KDE plasma next, which means you get the breeze flat design, fresher colors and a new splashscreen while you still can count on the incredible reliability of KDE 4.

Screenshots:

BWfqwjK.jpg

EfRsOdL.jpg

K0yCR6H.jpg

MnKY7hm.jpg

7EvkZvJ.jpg

Find the Screenshots Album here

:D

Download Mirror 1 (Dropbox | 2.1GB): HERE

if someone can show me how i can make torrent seeding work preferably in transmission, than go ahead. other stuff i can find myself on wikipedia sorry but get a grip.

Why don't you use Ktorrent? I think it's much better than Transmission.

If your provider has blocked torrents, there's a simple way around it: (in Ktorrent, at least)

In Settings > Network, change "Port" and "Udp Port" to something completely different, e.g. "42042" and "42142" (as we know, 42 is the answer to everything ;) )

Settings > Bittorrent, check all four check boxes starting with "Use Vht", and change the port here to something else as well, e.g. "42242".

On the same page, check "Use protocol encryption", and uncheck "Allow unencrypted connection".

There, all set. No traffic on the usual torrent ports anymore, and since all traffic is encrypted, no torrent traffic can be found out. Another useless attempt at internet censoring ruined :rofl:

Hi, mate,

?It's nice work you've done there! I'm trying out the Snapshot 0.6 version.

I like the look of KDE5 a lot, and it's all very fast. Good selection of software too.

What's the morse code at the start? And at the end? Nice touches!

I like too how you set the gimp up in window mode like Photoshop. I always do that manually when I set up a new system. It's surprising it's not the default.

When I installed the system, though, it didn't give me the opportunity to set up a user. So I guess it deviates from normal Ubuntu installers in that regard. Still, one can set them up after the fact. Still, some tools (user setup and others) wanted admin privileges, but I never knew what that password was, so I couldn't access them.

I'll have to keep playing around with it. If I think of more, I'll let you know.

It's really cool, though.  :D

EDIT: PS I have got one other issue, but it's not with you, but rather it's with the kernel found in Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. It contains a flaw that makes it impossible to run 16-bit Windows program in wine. If you could build off of 14.10, then that issue would be fixed, as it was fixed in the later kernel used in 14.10.

EDIT: PS I have got one other issue, but it's not with you, but rather it's with the kernel found in Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. It contains a flaw that makes it impossible to run 16-bit Windows program in wine. If you could build off of 14.10, then that issue would be fixed, as it was fixed in the later kernel used in 14.10.

James, please clarify this one for me: is it ubuntu related or kernel related? if it's the latter, check the Snapshot-Linux ultimate tool in the start menu. contains a kernel updater too (i think up to kernel 3.18 or so). check if that fixes it for you.

James, please clarify this one for me: is it ubuntu related or kernel related? if it's the latter, check the Snapshot-Linux ultimate tool in the start menu. contains a kernel updater too (i think up to kernel 3.18 or so). check if that fixes it for you.

Yes, it's kernel related. I'll check out the update--thanks!

• 2 months later...

the games depending more on your hardware than anything else, i can't add tweaks for games. gaming under linux is still in it's early days but it has gotten better thx to steam.

maybe some linux gamer can share his experience a bit?

So the news with Steam for Linux was true .

Is here any Linux gamer ?

From your user experience , in 3 years , it could be way better for distributions like this when we talk about games ? [ it's the period when it's kind of a probability for me to give up at Windows ] .

I gave it another spin. Still needs a bit of finish around the edges (the EXTREME edges, nothing that the average user will run into and likely things that were caused by me) but it looks and plays well so far. The earlier troubles I had seem to have vanished.

It gets a 5 out of 5 stars from me -- nice going, Jack. You've got a winner here.

I gave it another spin. Still needs a bit of finish around the edges (the EXTREME edges, nothing that the average user will run into and likely things that were caused by me) but it looks and plays well so far. The earlier troubles I had seem to have vanished.

It gets a 5 out of 5 stars from me -- nice going, Jack. You've got a winner here.

maybe you could clarify a bit what you mean with extreme edges? too bold/fat/big??? might show me on a screenshot and depending on what you mean i will fix it in v.0.7

edit: does this answer to the quote shows font: comic sans???

maybe you could clarify a bit what you mean with extreme edges? too bold/fat/big??? might show me on a screenshot and depending on what you mean i will fix it in v.0.7

edit: does this answer to the quote shows font: comic sans???

Wait ... Is this yours ... ?

I'm shocked ... It got my interest from the 1st screens and now the interest for it is even bigger .

Wait ... Is this yours ... ?

I'm shocked ... It got my interest from the 1st screens and now the interest for it is even bigger .

yep it's mine. and i can confirm the screenshots are from the current version 0.6. enjoy. :)

if you wanna know more about the project Snapshot-Linux is on FB and Google+ as well.

• Like 1

Nothing that needs addressing, boss. It was a minor issue. Google Chrome (my preferred browser) reverted to default GTK+ decor until I fiddled around with the settings. Users can do that themselves. Not sure why GTK applications misbehave theme-wise so much in KDE/Plasma, but it wasn't limited to Chrome.

From my research, it's a known issue, so I'm not sure how much control you have over it.