Microsoft

My point was Apple makes money, quite a lot of it in fact from their hardware offerings. Microsoft doesn't. Surface, Zune, Kin, Xbox, Kinect, Lumia. None of them make a profit.

But for long time they really didn't make money from their hardware. They don't make any money from their software are you saying that apple should get out of software business?

My point was Apple makes money, quite a lot of it in fact from their hardware offerings. Microsoft doesn't. Surface, Zune, Kin, Xbox, Kinect, Lumia. None of them make a profit.

That's why Apple was always a hardware company, software always took a back stage to hardware design... and still kind of does... MS has always been a software company, sure they have SOME hardware products, the mice, keyboards, router at one point, tablet and now some phones, but they are always going to be a software company who has a hardware niche market... which is why I always find it hard to compare apple to MS because they are two totally different beasts in the end

But for long time they really didn't make money from their hardware. They don't make any money from their software are you saying that apple should get out of software business?

Well, by that logic, Apple should ditch IOS and put Android on it instead :rofl:  </joking>

4%? Microsoft wishes. 2% and falling according to the latest figures. Even units shipped has declined YOY this quarter.

Things are looking bleak for Microsoft's Phone OS. No developer traction, poor quality and selection of apps, unpopular Metro tile UI, lack of features that are present in every other major OS, no long term support and abandoning of users (WP7), inferior hardware, poor selection, only one major OEM (Microsoft). Could it really get any worse?

ironically, WP 8.1 has closed the feature gap. I have windows phone Nokia 820. Since WP 8.1 OS level the feature gap does not exist any more. Tiles and Metro Ui are awesome imo on phones. 

but yeah its very hard for Microsoft to crawl out of the hole they've dug themselves. I think its game over for MS as far as Mobile Os is concerned.

The only thing that might remotely give them a fighting chance is android runtime on WP phones. so android apps can run on windows phones finishing the 'no apppz" talk once and for all.

ironically, WP 8.1 has closed the feature gap. I have windows phone Nokia 820. Since WP 8.1 OS level the feature gap does not exist any more. Tiles and Metro Ui are awesome imo on phones. 

but yeah its very hard for Microsoft to crawl out of the hole they've dug themselves. I think its game over for MS as far as Mobile Os is concerned.

The only thing that might remotely give them a fighting chance is android runtime on WP phones. so android apps can run on windows phones finishing the 'no apppz" talk once and for all.

windows mobile is not dead. it's really just getting started. they needed to solidify a design experience first. they were wildly behind before but I think google will run people off.  their business model is too creepy and as people become more aware of privacy I think people will veer away from the company that tries to collect so much information on you that they probably know you better than you do.

I only hope that they keep making them until I can actually afford one.  It would be nice to get one before they disappear.

But there's the catch isn't it. To reduce the price they have to take a bigger hit in the revenue stream, considering they're already losing, I can't see them reducing prices.

windows mobile is not dead. it's really just getting started. they needed to solidify a design experience first. they were wildly behind before but I think google will run people off.  their business model is too creepy and as people become more aware of privacy I think people will veer away from the company that tries to collect so much information on you that they probably know you better than you do.

Yes google's business model might be soviet style creepy but how many people have closed their gmail account because google scans their mail and mines it for data and adwords? how many people have stopped using google maps because google tracks their location , where they are going to and where they are currently ?

people in the last few decades have prefered convenience over privacy and it doesnt look like its going to change anytime soon

people in the last few decades have prefered convenience over privacy and it doesnt look like its going to change anytime soon

funny considering that there is zero proof that the email scanning Google has done is malicious.  Just a lot of claims and paranoia.

funny considering that there is zero proof that the email scanning Google has done is malicious.  Just a lot of claims and paranoia.

malicious or not . the fact that google are scanning your personal emails , mining it for keywords , understanding the intent is a matter of concern.

its analogous to post office opening your letter to your mom about vacation with your family, reading it, adding leaflets on vacations and air travel in your letter and delivering it your mom's address. now things get trickier, if the letters were documents regarding your health , legal situation...

malicious? i dont care about their intent. the very fact that its been done is a breach of privacy.