Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Jefferson Mangubat
Apple agrees to not collect fees for Facebook's paid online events for now
by Jefferson Mangubat
Apple is temporarily allowing Facebook to process fees for its online paid events through Facebook Pay, its digital payment system. That basically means the 30% App Store fee will be waived for the social networking giant's new feature, which was announced last month.
The temporary easing of Apple's tax will run through December 31 and businesses that will create paid events on the platform will receive all of the earnings after tax deduction. Facebook spokesperson Joe Osborne has this to say:
However, this will not apply to game creators. Regarding this exception, Facebook Gaming Vice President Vivek Sharma said, “We unfortunately had to make this concession to get the temporary reprieve for other businesses.”
Facebook announced in August its paid online events for small businesses. In an effort to help them monetize their live streams, Facebook said it won't take a cut from the money page owners would collect from viewers and that it asked Apple to do the same. However, the Cupertino-based company refused to waive its App Store fees.
Apple's latest concession is a welcome development for small businesses. The reversal comes after Facebook's series of moves calling out Apple to reverse its initial decision.
By Jay Bonggolto
Facebook will ban ads claiming victory on election night
by Jay Bonggolto
While Facebook already announced that it would block political ads in the week before the U.S. elections, there were speculations that politicians could run new ones starting on November 4 right after the polls. Today, Facebook confirmed that it will reject ads claiming victory for either the Trump or Biden camp ahead of the official results.
Andy Stone, Facebook's communications representative, tweeted today that the company will ban this type of ads from running on the platform. Apparently, the goal is to prevent misleading information from flooding the social networking site.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently said the steps his company was taking would "encourage voting, connect people with authoritative information, and fight misinformation". He also noted that Facebook saw 24 million clicks to voter registration websites that it showed to users in the last three days.
Fast Company noted that official election results may face announcement delays due to mail-in voting, unlike in normal conditions when the winner would be announced by midnight. Stone's confirmation reiterates the company's efforts to "protect" the U.S. elections from meddling through misinformation campaigns.
By Jay Bonggolto
Facebook launches new tool to let creators claim ownership of their images
by Jay Bonggolto
Facebook is letting creators and publishers control how their original images are shared across its platform, including Instagram, in order to protect their copyrights. The social networking giant today announced an update to its Rights Manager tool that will allow content owners to claim ownership of their images - in addition to their videos - and submit takedown requests to Facebook, provided they are the real owners.
Rights Manager lets creators add their unique content that they want to protect to a reference library. The tool will then search for posts on Facebook and Instagram that match your content. When an infringing post is found, creators can then choose whether they would like it to be blocked or monitored. Owners can also take action to have an attributing credit added to that post through a link. There is also an option to exempt certain partners from the tool's matching system.
In addition, content owners can decide which territories their images can be viewed in by adjusting the match settings. From there, they can choose whether their ownership applies worldwide or only to specific regions. Facebook says Rights Manager is built for "creators and publishers who have a large or growing catalog of content".
Open letter asks tech firms to stop targeting ads at users under 18
by Paul Hill
An open letter has been signed in the U.K. by a member of parliament (MPs), academics, and children’s rights advocates to bring an end to advertising to users younger than 18 by big tech firms such as Facebook and Google. Among those signing were Caroline Lucas MP, Amnesty International, Privacy International, and Friends of the Earth.
The letter was published just days after a lawsuit was lodged against Google accusing it of breaking U.K. and E.U. data protection laws by targeting under-13s with addictive programming and using their data for advertising purposes. The letter calls on protections to be extended to all children under the age of 18.
A section of the open letter reads as follows:
In the case of Google, it allows all users to disable ad personalisation within a user’s account settings. To address some of the concerns being raised by the signatories, it could automatically set this toggle to disabled for all children’s accounts. While this may not address some of the tracking that Google performs, it will eliminate the problem of behavioural advertising.
By Garg Ankit
TikTok interim CEO invites Facebook and Instagram to support litigation against Trump ban
by Garg Ankit
Donald Trump has moved ahead with the executive order to ban TikTok and WeChat from the Google Play Store and the iOS App Store. The app will not be available to download or update come Sunday, but you can use it if it's already downloaded on your device. Vanessa Pappas took to Twitter to invite Facebook and Instagram to present a united front against the ban, citing freedom of expression and due process of law.
Pappas, who recently became the interim CEO of TikTok after Kevin Mayer quit last month, was replying to Head of Instagram, Adam Mosseri, who tweeted that the US TikTok ban would be bad not only for Facebook or Instagram, but the internet in general.
We'll have to wait and see if Zuckerberg owned Facebook and Instagram will publicly oppose the order. After all, it was he who reportedly persuaded the Trump administration to launch the attack on TikTok.