Gamescom 2014 News & Discussion

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an Xbox One exclusive... Why would Square Enix do that?!

That's a pretty solid gain for MS, and something they needed, quite frankly. Real glad it's not the other way around, but sucks for PS4 owners that were looking forward to it.

And CoD by the looks of it. Not a terrible deal.

I haven't done the math but outside of the hideous design (each to their own) I think it would be cheaper to buy the 500GB kinectless model, an External HDD and CoD and it still work out cheaper.

Pure speculation but seeing as kinect isn't pictured on the box I'd guess no.

Judging by the picture I'd say without...so yikes ?100 for 500GB and CoD, I'll stick with a USB powered external drive ;)

Edit - You have CoD too, so not a bad deal I guess

Agreed, Judging by the box alone I would say it doesn't

Also, not watching the conference so just hearing things randomly  :(

Pre loading pre-ordered is coming too with FIFA 15 and Horizon 2

I haven't done the math but outside of the hideous design (each to their own) I think it would be cheaper to buy the 500GB kinectless model, an External HDD and CoD and it still work out cheaper.

?70 for a game on day one and 500GB HDD would be a pretty good deal. If you shopped around you could probably do it, but I'd say it's a decent deal.

Well of course it will, but that's pretty standard practice ;)

Also the Halo Channel looks pretty sweet. Wonder if it'll straight replace Waypoint, at least for Xbox One.

That's a pretty solid gain for MS, and something they needed, quite frankly. Real glad it's not the other way around, but sucks for PS4 owners that were looking forward to it.

Completely agree, huge win for Microsoft. I just hoped it was coming to PC too, but I do have an Xbox One so I'll probably still get it :P

I just bought this: http://goo.gl/DKii2C (I know you're UK) for $60 shipped and it works great!  Easy to transfer games already installed to it and easy to set all new games to install to it.

Dear Beloved Non-Xbox Customers,

We love your money, but there is just one small problem...

You didn't give us enough the last time around.

That is why we must (with some regret) announce that we are accepting the kind offer of Uncle Phil at Microsoft to shower us with many bucketloads of money. 

He promises that he will give us more than you ever did.

We know that some of you might be disappointed by this decision, but we truly feel that this is the best way for us to move forwards in a manner that means that we all win. Hopefully you understand.

Love, 

Darrell and friends

:D

I do wonder if MS are trying to snap up Tomb Raider sorta as a counter to Uncharted...

I just bought this: http://goo.gl/DKii2C (I know you're UK) for $60 shipped and it works great!  Easy to transfer games already installed to it and easy to set all new games to install to it.

Right now I think I'm nowhere near the limits of the internal 500GB so I'm not really in any rush however I have my own illogical trust issues with external drives :(

I see MS is very dedicated in supporting PC gaming by throwing money at a dev for a xbox exclusive.

If this game is not coming to PC i'm done with Microsoft. Will never buy any product from them again outside of OS.

Personally i think it's a stupid move. Don't mind exclusivity for new ips. But if this is not coming to PC this is just another reason given to PC gamers to stop supporting Microsoft. I just wish Directx would die and be replaced by a multiplatform technology.

If this game is not coming to PC i'M done with Microsoft. Will never buy any product from them outside of OS.

Give it a few days, journalists will hit them hard to try and see if it's a timed exclusive for a year or so. Given what Square Enix said about TR sales, my bets are it will launch exclusively in 2015 on XB1 and come to other platforms in 2016/2017.

• Like 1

If this game is not coming to PC i'm done with Microsoft. Will never buy any product from them again outside of OS.

Personally i think it's a stupid move. Don't mind exclusivity for new ips. But if this is not coming to PC this is just another reason given to PC gamers to stop supporting Microsoft. I just wish Directx would die and be replaced by a multiplatform technology.

Microsoft will pay lots of money to make you see the error of your ways:

Is there a game you really like? Don't worry, it's coming to Xbox One!

You didn't buy it for XB1 because you have a PC/PS4? No worries, it's now exclusively on Xbox One!

Going without both the game and the XB1? Have a discounted Xbox!

See? Microsoft's liberal application of Money solves all your gaming woes! 

:D

Give it a few days, journalists will hit them hard to try and see if it's a timed exclusive for a year or so. Given what Square Enix said about TR sales, my bets are it will launch exclusively in 2015 on XB1 and come to other platforms in 2016/2017.

This must be. Buying a full exclusivity for this title would cost many millions. One day or another shareholders will be done with ms pouring money on the xbox without good results.

Right now I think I'm nowhere near the limits of the internal 500GB so I'm not really in any rush however I have my own illogical trust issues with external drives :(

I was in the 90% range.  This brought me down to the mid 20's.

This must be. Buying a full exclusivity for this title would cost many millions. One day or another shareholders will be done with ms pouring money on the xbox without good results.

Microsoft are publishing the game though so I doubt there will be much in the way of it appearing on PS4. PC perhaps after a year but PS4 - I don't think so...

What you have to watch at these shows is the ways things are worded (aimed at every company, Sony, MS and Nintendo). Unless they flat out say fully exclusive, like Sony said MGS4 is fully exclusive, chances are it isn't. If they say "coming exclusively to Xbox One in 2015", then it's probably timed.

Here's the sales figures for the last TR (and enhanced editions) by the way

PS3 - 2.2 million
X360 - 1.71 million
PS4 - 0.46 million
PC - 0.27 million
XOne - 0.17 million

Microsoft are publishing the game though so I doubt there will be much in the way of it appearing on PS4. PC perhaps after a year but PS4 - I don't think so...

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/499200247416242176

Trying to get more clarity on Tomb Raider. Xbox tells me Microsoft Studios is not publishing game and listing on web is an error.

"This doesn?t mean that we?re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

Source

They might change their mind from the backlash, but it looks like it's intended to be a full exclusive.

"This doesn?t mean that we?re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

Source

They might change their mind from the backlash, but it looks like it's intended to be a full exclusive.

As part of the agreement with timed exclusives you usually cannot say, as that could impact the sales potential and/or make the deal less lucrative. The whole idea about anything timed is also to create confusion and panic, as if it isn't clear people will and do walk away assuming it could be fully exclusive and not hold off. As I said above watch wording

As you may have seen, we?ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox

Sure it seems normal and innocent to mention the release date continually, but its interesting if a statement about exclusively ever gets released where holiday 2015 isn't mentioned in the same sentence.

Exclusively on instead of exclusively FOR, again suggests it being on the Xbox in 2015, but possibly ON other platforms later. /tinfoilhattime

• Like 1

Considering they were disappointed with the reboot selling over 3 million copies - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/square-enix-disappointed-by-sales-of-tomb-raider-wants-to-maximise-profits-during-development/ , it must of been a crap load of money.

You don't go console exclusive to the slower selling platform when sales are on your mind unless your costs and then some are covered.

well crap. I really enjoyed the reboot on PC and I definitely wanted sequel on PC.

might have to borrow xbox one from someone just to play it :(     but i don't expect a great experience, considering i have a powerful gaming pc

MS must be paying them a LOT of money during the development, as the sales volume on xbox one will surely be less then multiplatform.    i doubt pc/ps4 owners will buy the game...

As part of the agreement with timed exclusives you usually cannot say, as that could impact the sales potential and/or make the deal less lucrative. The whole idea about anything timed is also to create confusion and panic, as if it isn't clear people will and do walk away assuming it could be fully exclusive and not hold off. As I said above watch wording

I did get their vagueness as far as 2016+ is concerned, however it's still a dick move and they fully deserve the ####-storm coming their way (both MS and Squeenix).

Source

They can't change their mind. There's a contract signed with Microsoft.

The contract is either for a full exclusivity or timed exclusivity. There might be a sales number associated with it like if it doesn't sell 3 millions Square-Enix can release it for other platforms but that's it. No company big like Square-Enix will give an exclusivity for free without any contract.

Let's just hope it is a timed exclusivity and the contract stipulates they can't announce the other versions before a fixed date (like for the first Splinter Cell).

• Like 1

I don't get what is so complicated in this, they've said, "in 2015" a few times, it's timed.  Relax, step back from the ledge.   It's not the first, nor will it be the last, time some multiplatform goes timed exclusive for one system, it's happened before.

MS is not against X1 exclusive titles coming to the pc, so why get up in arms over this now? No need to abandon everything MS because of an exclusive game.

It sounds like a timed exclusive anyway.

Its funny how MS gets slammed when one of their games remains on a console, but then when games are on both, MS gets slammed for not having enough X1 exclusives because having it on pc negates any X1 value. Tough spot for MS. This is one area where Sony gets no such blow back since there is no expectation in place.

If your looking for MS' support for pc gaming, then look at the tech they are bringing, such as the new DirectX release, don't focus so much on the games they bring. The best thing MS can do for pc gaming is not releasing games, its improving the OS all games run on so everyone can have a better experience. PC gaming is all about a wide range of developers putting out content as easily as possible.

• Like 3