FreeNAS Questions.

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

f0rk_b0mb    697

Alright! I just set up a basic FreeNAS box from old parts laying around my house. Setup was easy, and I am using it for data backup/share and a Time Machine for both of my macs.

I just have a few questions in regards to performance.

Specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 B50 | ASUS M4N98TD EVO (NFORCE 980a) | 4GB of ram | WD Blue 60GB HDD (OS Drive) | WD Red 3TB (Data)

Currently just one drive, I plan to get more when I get the coin. I have 2 different backups plus this so I'm not concerned about redundancy at the moment. I plan to consolidate in the near future and make the NAS my main backup. 

Networking hardware: (I know its basic, its all I can afford now. I'm a college student. :D)

Linksys E1000 Router | Motorola Modem | AT&T 3 mb/s | both computers are wired and right next to each other.

So questions:

1. When transferring data from Windows using CIFS, I get horrible transfer rates. Is there something I forgot to enable? Suggestions on what to check please. 

2. Time machine backups are slow. It took an hour to backup a fresh install (11gb) of data. Is that common? Are official time capsules that slow or is it my server? 

Thanks in advance! 

10 answers to this question

+BudMan    3,748

your router/switch on the E1000 only has 10/100 connection. So your going to be limited to lets say 95mbps max (100) - you never actually see full wire speeds.

If you actually mean 10-11MBps then your about right at the max you can expect to see B is Bytes, b is bits..

1MB is a bit slow - but what are you moving lots of smaller files are few large ones?

freenas has iperf built in.. I would suggest you do some testing with this.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Iperf

Speeds from this would give you max speed you could expect over the wire, not counting disk read/write speeds or overheads of the protocols being used. Here is the thing at 100mbps connection I don't think your going to notice the different between smb2 or smb3.. Yes smb3 has less overhead than 2, but your current bottle neck is your 100mbps connection.

You can buy a gig switch for peanuts these days.. Something like this should give you a drastic boost in your speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

$19.99 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

$18.99 with free shipping

Both have lots of reviews at 5 stars.. Connect it to your router port, then connect your devices to the gig switch and now what is your read write speeds. I see that MB you list ASUS M4N98TD EVO has gig nic, but do your windows and os x hardware have gig interfaces.. I would assume yes unless its some really budget or old hardware.

Here is iperf when connected at gig

post-14624-0-85669100-1407790662.png

Here hard coded it down to 100 -- moving files at this speed would be like watching paint dry.

post-14624-0-06211200-1407790701.png

• Like 1
Lant    70

How slow is the transfer getting? What are the numbers?

The router is going to limit the speed you can transfer at, so even though the motherboard has gigabit ethernet, it won't be able to transfer at those speeds as the router is a 10/100.

What version of Windows are you using?

Makes sure to configure FreeNAS to use SMB2, SMB2.1, or SMB3. The SMB2 dialects have much better performance compared to SMB1 (although if you are on Windows XP you won't be able to take advantage of those performance improvements).

What version of OSX are you using? The most recent version switched over to their own custom implementation and the SMB2 client is incredibly buggy. Limiting the FreeNAS to SMB1 may even help performance.

Are you doing this over the LAN? Some quick calculations ((11*1024) / 1 / 60 / 60) gives me 3 MiB/s which is suspiciously close to your AT&T speed.

f0rk_b0mb    697

How slow is the transfer getting? What are the numbers?

The router is going to limit the speed you can transfer at, so even though the motherboard has gigabit ethernet, it won't be able to transfer at those speeds as the router is a 10/100.

What version of Windows are you using?

Makes sure to configure FreeNAS to use SMB2, SMB2.1, or SMB3. The SMB2 dialects have much better performance compared to SMB1 (although if you are on Windows XP you won't be able to take advantage of those performance improvements).

What version of OSX are you using? The most recent version switched over to their own custom implementation and the SMB2 client is incredibly buggy. Limiting the FreeNAS to SMB1 may even help performance.

Are you doing this over the LAN? Some quick calculations ((11*1024) / 1 / 60 / 60) gives me 3 MiB/s which is suspiciously close to your AT&T speed.

I'm using Windows 8.1.1 x64 and OS X 10.9 Mavricks and I'm getting about 10-11mb/s burst but goes as low as 1mb/s. Looks like my router is rated for fast ethernet (10/100). I will try to play around with protocols.

I am doing this on my local network (I think). I'm simply typing in \\-ipofserver- into file explorer. Is there a better way to do it?

f0rk_b0mb    697

OK. I used this as a reference: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/CIFS

and I did this so I can share with Vista and up. There is no smb1 option. Changeing them both to smb3 has no speed advantages.

post-447111-0-99926300-1407786772.jpg

f0rk_b0mb    697

your router/switch on the E1000 only has 10/100 connection. So your going to be limited to lets say 95mbps max (100) - you never actually see full wire speeds.

If you actually mean 10-11MBps then your about right at the max you can expect to see B is Bytes, b is bits..

1MB is a bit slow - but what are you moving lots of smaller files are few large ones?

freenas has iperf built in.. I would suggest you do some testing with this.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Iperf

Speeds from this would give you max speed you could expect over the wire, not counting disk read/write speeds or overheads of the protocols being used. Here is the thing at 100mbps connection I don't think your going to notice the different between smb2 or smb3.. Yes smb3 has less overhead than 2, but your current bottle neck is your 100mbps connection.

You can buy a gig switch for peanuts these days.. Something like this should give you a drastic boost in your speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156250

$19.99 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

$18.99 with free shipping

Both have lots of reviews at 5 stars.. Connect it to your router port, then connect your devices to the gig switch and now what is your read write speeds. I see that MB you list ASUS M4N98TD EVO has gig nic, but do your windows and os x hardware have gig interfaces.. I would assume yes unless its some really budget or old hardware.

Yeah I have a Crosshair Formula V-z on my Windows PC. My mac probably has gigabit as well. If I were to go gigabit what would my speeds more than likely be? 

+BudMan    3,748

see my above screenshots for iperf.. Here is a ropocopy of moving a file

post-14624-0-33474000-1407790938.png

I do see faster than that quite often..

Here is write

post-14624-0-75032200-1407791055.png

I don't always believe the dialog on the windows copy, and it does fluctuate, etc.. Here I grabbed something bigger so I had time to grab a screenshot

post-14624-0-18927400-1407791417.png

• Like 1
f0rk_b0mb    697

Ok thanks budman! I'll just get a new gigabit router. I should be able to pick one up pretty cheaply. 

+BudMan    3,748

You don't need a router - you just need a switch.. Sure your router can handle your "Motorola Modem | AT&T 3 mb/s" - what it can't handle is gig lan speeds..

• Like 1
Bigkaye    33

You don't need a router - you just need a switch.. Sure your router can handle your "Motorola Modem | AT&T 3 mb/s" - what it can't handle is gig lan speeds..

Exactly. You cascade the router to the switch (one port on each), and the router still handles all the routing/IP/DNS/etc, but anything connected to only the switch will get the gigabit speeds. Generally gigabit switches are cheaper than routers, as they are 'dumb' and have no wifi and consume less power and usually come with 5-8 ports rather than the standard 4. I picked up a cheapie d-link for $30 at staples years back, when gigabit routers were still $80

+BudMan    3,748

I pointed out 2 gig switches that get great reviews for less than $20.. I doubt your picking up a gig router for anything close to that that is any good.

That being said if you were in the market for a GOOD switch, then I would suggest more like the SG300-10 from cisco - but your looking at $200 then which prob a bit steep for student ;)  So don't be surprised if you don't see 900Mbps on the cheap switches..  They are clearly not rated for 20Gbps switching like a higher end switch.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hamza Jawad
      Azure NetApp Files gains cross region replication and further enhancements
      by Hamza Jawad

Earlier this year, at its virtual Build conference 2020, Microsoft announced that its Azure NetApp Files service had achieved 99.99% availability. Today, the tech giant has unveiled a flurry of new enhancements in preview for the file storage service, with the headliner being cross region replication.

Cross region replication is essentially a disaster recoverability mechanism, enabling the replication of volumes from one Azure region to another. As one would expect, failure of one such region will still allow the replicated data to be kept safe in a separate region. With the NetApp SnapMirror technology being utilized, only changed blocks are sent over the network in a compressed manner, making the process cost-effective with reduced replication times.

Over the next few months in preview, users can expect the following additions to this capability:

Currently, cross region replication is available in popular regions from U.S., Canada, AMEA, and Asia. The preview waitlist can be joined here. Three pricing tiers are available - minutes, hourly, and daily, with each corresponding to a replication frequency of 10 minutes, one hour, and one day, respectively. You can learn more about pricing per region here.

Among other free enhancements that have been introduced, for starters, volume snapshots can now be defined at a frequency desired by the user. Hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly options will be offered. The service level of an existing Azure NetApp Files volume can now also be changed by moving it to another capacity pool, and a volume can now also be created with simultaneous dual-protocol (NFS v3 and SMB) access. The preview for dynamic volume tier change can be signed up for here.

Moving on, NFS client encryption in Kerberos modes (krb5, krb5i, and krb5p) with AES-256 encryption is now supported in order to enhance data security. And finally, the NetApp Files service is now generally available in some Azure Government regions, starting with U.S. Gov Virginia. Other regions to which the service will soon be expanded include U.S. Gov Texas, and U.S. Gov Arizona. The region roadmap for Azure NetApp Files can be checked out here.

• By News Staff
      Save 97% off this Complete CompTIA Training Bundle & Certification
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 97% off this Complete CompTIA Certification Training Bundle. Catalyze a career in IT with 14 expert-led courses for CompTIA's hottest certification exams.

This bundle includes the following courses:

CompTIA A+ (220-1001)
      Grasp Basic IT Literacy & Today's Core Technologies and Pass the Industry Standard for Entry-Level IT Career CompTIA A+ (220-1002)
      Complete the A+ Series & Expand Your IT Support Skills Including Mobile Devices, Networking Technology, Security, and More CompTIA Network+ (N10-007)
      Further Your Career in Network Administration with 40+ Hours of Instruction on Troubleshooting, Configuring & Managing Networks CompTIA Network+ (N10-007): Accelerated
      Upgrade Your Network+ Series with the Latest Trends & Technologies in the Networking Domain Plus Critical IT Concepts CompTIA Server+ (SK0-004)
      Prepare to Work Anywhere In the IT Industry with 28+ Hours of Instruction on the Changing Server Environment CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-004)
      Acquire the Competencies Required for an Early Career on System Administrator with This Thorough Linux+ Exam Study Guide CompTIA Cloud+ (CV0-002)
      Become a Versatile System Administrator with High-Quality Skills in Maintaining & Optimizing Cloud Infrastructure Services​​​​​​​ CompTIA Project+ (PK0-004)
      Efficiently & Effectively Manage Small to Medium-Sized Projects with Essential Skills in Planning, Coordinating, and Managing Projects Inside or Outside of IT​​​​​​​ CompTIA Core Blockchain
      Comprehend the Underlying Technology Behind Cryptocurrencies & How They're Used for a Wide Variety of Applications​​​​​​​ CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501)
      The Benchmark for Best IT Security Practices: This Course Covers Core Cybersecurity Knowledge & Skills in Pursuing an IT Security Career​​​​​​​ CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501): Accelerated
      Ace the Security+ Series with an Accelerated Instruction Course on the Essential Principles for Network Security & Risk Management​​​​​​​ CompTIA CySA+ (CS0-001)
      Prevent, Detect & Combat Cybersecurity Threats with Security Analytics, Intrusion Detection, and Response​​​​​​​ CompTIA PenTest+ (PT0-001)
      Combat Network Attacks with the Most Up-to-Date Penetration Testing & Vulnerability Assessment Management Skills CompTIA CASP+ (CAS-003)
      Get Advanced Competency in Risk Management, Enterprise Security Operations & Architecture, Research & Collaboration, and Enterprise Security Integration Good to know
      Length of time users can access this course: 1 year Certificate of completion included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and instructor info, click here.

Here's the deal:
      This Complete CompTIA Certification Training Bundle normally costs* $3,486, but you can pick it up for just $89 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $3,397 (97%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Online Courses on offer. This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By zikalify
      Linux Mint is working on a new tool called Web App Manager
      by Paul Hill

In its monthly update, the Linux Mint project announced that it’s working on a new app called Web App Manager that’ll let users turn their favourite websites into stand-alone applications that can be found in the start menu and be pinned to the taskbar. The Mint team is developing the tool in collaboration with the Peppermint OS team which has built a similar tool before.

As things stand right now, the Peppermint team has a tool called ICE that lets you turn websites into web apps. In a thread on GitHub, the head of Linux Mint, Clem Lefebvre suggests that the ICE back-end be separated from the interface so that the Mint team and Peppermint team can use their own respective interface. This plan isn’t definite yet but has been suggested.

Gallery: Web App Manager
      According to the images that have been made available, users will be presented with a list of web apps that they have already created. Users can remove and edit these or add a new web app. When creating a new web app, users will need to supply the app’s name, web address, an icon, which category it should be included in on the menu, which browser it should open in, and there’s a toggle to hide the browser's navigation bar.

Another nice aspect to these web apps is that they’re created with their own browser profile and appear in their own window. Not only does this give users help to separate their general browsing from their web app browsing but it also makes switching between apps on the Alt-tab selector a bit easier.

The Web App Manager is currently available for download but keep in mind that it is beta quality and isn’t fully translated. Around November or December when Linux Mint 20.1 launches, the new Web App Manager will probably be included.

• By zikalify
      How to install the Kali Linux's Win-KeX desktop on WSL 2
      by Paul Hill

In the last week or so, Kali Linux 2020.3 was released for download. The new update introduced lots of new features but we want to focus on the Windows + Kali Desktop EXperience (Win-KeX), a GUI that can be used with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) 2.

To get started, you need to have updated to Windows 10 version 2004, if you are running this version you’ll want to install Kali Linux in WSL 2 next.

According to the Kali Linux documentation, you’ll first want to open PowerShell as administrator and run Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux then restart. Once you’ve done that, open up PowerShell again as the admin and run dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart and dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart then restart again.

Next, you’ll want to download the WSL 2 Linux kernel. After you’ve installed it open PowerShell as administrator once again and run wsl --set-default-version 2. Once all of that’s done, head into the Microsoft Store and install Kali Linux.

If you have Kali Linux installed on WSL 1, it will be necessary to upgrade it before continuing. Run wsl --set-version kali-linux 2 then open up Kali Linux in WSL to finish the setup.

At this point, you should have Kali Linux running on WSL 2, to get Win-KeX up and running, you’ll need to run sudo apt update && sudo apt install kali-win-kex within your Kali Linux installation. Once installed, type kex to run the Win-KeX interface.

The Kali Linux documentation also contains some extra commands that you can run to further customise your installation, however, these are beyond the scope of this guide.

• By zikalify
      Google tells Android developers to get ready for a 5G world
      by Paul Hill

In a new blog post over on its Android Developers website, Google has asked developers to transform their apps and games for a 5G world which it imagines will be more immersive.

In its post, Google suggested four new enhancements that 5G enables. With 5G, what was previously only possible at home on WiFi is now available outdoors. Google hopes more developers will leverage the new speeds to incorporate high-quality video chat in apps and multiplayer modes to games.

For those apps that are photo-centric, Google suggests that videos or augmented reality content could become the new default. In the past, videos and AR content would need time to buffer but now they can slot into app interfaces more seamlessly.

The third recommendation is to prefetch content. This will let users get started watching content more quickly than before. While this setting will be great for those with unlimited data, users are still likely to be capped for the foreseeable future, so hopefully, Android’s data saver will rein in apps that leverage content prefetching.

The fourth recommendation to developers is to put content streaming into the mainstream. Google said that in the 4G world, streaming content was the exception but with faster speeds, streaming can be done reliably and should have a more prominent role inside apps.

The search giant said it has been working on and adding new APIs to make features such as these possible. It has also added features to the Android SDK emulator that let developers build and test apps using these APIs without needed a 5G device or network connection.

If you’re an Android developer and these enhancements seem interesting to you, Google has launched a new page collating all of the new features and how you can build them into your products.