Lastpass was down today apparently.

At 3:57 Eastern Time this morning, one of the data centers that LastPass relies on went down. Our team immediately took action to migrate LastPass to run entirely on a different data center. As a result, many users experienced connection errors with the LastPass service, and LastPass.com has been intermittently unavailable throughout the morning. We have been engaged with our data center provider the entire time to resolve the issues. Please note this does not impact the security of your data.

We are doing everything we can to mitigate the impact and resolve the situation as quickly as possible, and apologize for the inconvenience caused. We strongly recommend users login through the browser extensions to access their vault, where most users should have access though some may still see warnings that they are in ?offline mode?.

We will continue to update our user base and appreciate your patience.

http://blog.lastpass.com/2014/08/update-on-lastpass-connectivity-errors.html

lot of angry comments.

There were a lot of upset users that were locked out of all of there logins. They have an offline feature don't they? Why don't people use it?

I use Roboform and only thing I rely on the roboform servers for is syncing between computers. I also have all my passwords printed out.

Do these people not even have hard copies?

http://blog.lastpass.com/2014/08/update-on-lastpass-connectivity-errors.html

lot of angry comments.

There were a lot of upset users that were locked out of all of there logins. They have an offline feature don't they? Why don't people use it?

I use Roboform and only thing I rely on the roboform servers for is syncing between computers. I also have all my passwords printed out.

Do these people not even have hard copies?

Please tell me your joking when you say that......

Please tell me your joking when you say that......

Of course i'm not joking, I have them in a safety deposit box at the bank :) It's a hard copy of all 350 Roboform password cards. Amounts to about 17 pages.

Roboform could drop off the face of the earth and I wouldn't be screwed, unlike apparently most lastpass users.

I mean I have backup copies of them as well as a cd backup, off site backup, and about 3 other places, but all of those could go away too and I still wouldn't be screwed.

Just imagine what would happen if your house burned down, the cloud failed you and so did your off site backup media. Imagine all things digital failed you. Then what?

Of course i'm not joking, I have them in a safety deposit box at the bank :) It's a hard copy of all 350 Roboform password cards. Amounts to about 17 pages.

Roboform could drop off the face of the earth and i'm not screwed, unlike apparently most lastpass users.

You of all people should know printing passwords is dumb.

Thats why you should have them backed up not relied on cloud lol

You of all people should know printing passwords is dumb.

Thats why you should have them backed up not relied on cloud lol

Me of all people should now printing them out is not dumb, because I see technology failures everyday. Plus they are in a secure safety deposit box so i'm not worried.

Most people don't have off site backups. (I have one of those also!) So if their house burns down they are screwed... I mean the cloud should save them, but still.

You should probably encrypt your passwords before storing them.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a hard copy. ....

The ones I do store do require a master password to open each one.

The hard-copy debate aside (bad idea imo)

I think a person is far more likely to be hacked than have their safety deposit box broken into. which requires a signature each time it's accessed and needs key!

The Safety Deposit box is Physical access.

I think a person is far more likely to be hacked than have their safety deposit box broken into. which requires a signature each time it's accessed and needs key!

The Safety Deposit box is Physical access.

Someone at the bank could gain access to that safety deposit box if they were determined enough. Maybe if a different key were to be required to access it, then maybe i'd put more faith in that.

The hard-copy debate aside (bad idea imo), this is one of the main reasons why i'm highly adverse to cloud-based solutions...

I'm with you on that.

Someone at the bank could gain access to that safety deposit box if they were determined enough. Maybe if a different key were to be required to access it, then maybe i'd put more faith in that.

It requires 2 keys. Mine and the banks at the same time. if you lose your copy of the keys you have to pay a fee. because they have to drill it out and change the box.

As far as worried about it goes that is so far down on my list  ....err it's not even on my list.

I didn't notice any downtime. It logged me off, but i was able to relogin.

i don't think i have a hard copy of my passwords, but i've been using lastpass for years now and never had any major problem that i can remember.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to store a copy of your passwords locally, from lastpass.

Anyhow I use lastpass and I didn't have any issues today at all.

It does by default, if you use the browser extension. Anyway, you can export passwords in a selection of different formats so backing up every once in a while is not an issue, unless, you decide not to care... :)

It requires 2 keys. Mine and the banks at the same time. if you lose your copy of the keys you have to pay a fee. because they have to drill it out and change the box.

This is true ask any banker.

Me of all people should now printing them out is not dumb, because I see technology failures everyday. Plus they are in a secure safety deposit box so i'm not worried.

Most people don't have off site backups. (I have one of those also!) So if their house burns down they are screwed... I mean the cloud should save them, but still.

So I'm guessing you do not regularly change any of your 350 passwords?  There's some good security.

I have over 200 LastPass managed passwords that are 12 to 18 characters (some sites just wont let me use more than 12...). I access many of those site regularly from 4 physical locations spread across about 100 miles.  All of the the passwords (yes ALL) get changed the last Sunday morning of every month. Are you proposing I now print these out, take them to my safety deposit box and store them on the Monday following the last Sunday of every month? No thanks. I keep a single encrypted copy of the list on a Sky Drive as backup. 

I have LastPass (and SkyDrive) on 9 desktops, 3 laptops, 2 phones and 3 tablets. I want my passwords available when and where I am.   I'm not going to the bank to get the password to my online banking account. Seems a little wrong.

So I'm guessing you do not regularly change any of your 350 passwords?  There's some good security.

I have over 200 LastPass managed passwords that are 12 to 18 characters (some sites just wont let me use more than 12...). I access many of those site regularly from 4 physical locations spread across about 100 miles.  All of the the passwords (yes ALL) get changed the last Sunday morning of every month. Are you proposing I now print these out, take them to my safety deposit box and store them on the Monday following the last Sunday of every month? No thanks. I keep a single encrypted copy of the list on a Sky Drive as backup. 

I have LastPass (and SkyDrive) on 9 desktops, 3 laptops, 2 phones and 3 tablets. I want my passwords available when and where I am.   I'm not going to the bank to get the password to my online banking account. Seems a little wrong.

So how long does changing 200 passwords take you?

In my case only a hand full of those 350 I even care about. Most of them are forums that require an account to post. or to download a file from the site.

I'm not going to the bank to get the password to my online banking account. Seems a little wrong.

You would if all digital copies failed you.

I don't use that as my sole copy of my passwords. Roboform has them, their server has them, my backup drives have them a CD has them. The paper copy is only as an absolute last resort.