Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

It ISN'T good for Xbox gamers, unless they take pleasure in PC and PlayStation gamers being unable to play the game (which would be rather sad). This just screws over fans.

Titanfall was a new franchise that was Xbox exclusive and it didn't generate much of an 'uproar' - people don't like exclusives but they're understandable. Dead Rising 3 was worse, as it took a multiplatform game and made it an Xbox exclusive - it would have generated more controversy if it was actually a decent game.

Taking existing franchises and paying to make them platform exclusive is a sleazy business tactic and people are right to criticise Microsoft for it.

Dead Rising 1 was an exclusive xbox360 game.

holiday 2015 means xmas.   so i would not expect the game on PC until at least summer 2016 :(

I don't know, it's easier than ever to port these console games to the PC and it's not like the game itself and it's engine aren't for the PC already, I really doubt it'll be that long, they're going to do another special edition type deal once the XB1 exclusivity is over, same thing they did when they took the PC version of TR and ported it to the XB1 and PS4 however many months later, and sold it as new.   It's basically the same old same old in the games business the way I see it.

It ISN'T good for Xbox gamers, unless they take pleasure in PC and PlayStation gamers being unable to play the game (which would be rather sad). This just screws over fans.

Titanfall was a new franchise that was Xbox exclusive and it didn't generate much of an 'uproar' - people don't like exclusives but they're understandable. Dead Rising 3 was worse, as it took a multiplatform game and made it an Xbox exclusive - it would have generated more controversy if it was actually a decent game.

Taking existing franchises and paying to make them platform exclusive is a sleazy business tactic and people are right to criticise Microsoft for it.

Initially, Dead Rising was only on Xbox...then went multiplatform for the second, then the third went to exclusive. It's not sleazy, I secured the rights to make it exclusive, no matter what. Money, development, whatever. Titanfall was going to be timed, then it went exclusive for the first game. There was definitely an uproar over that game. Many news articles were made about the exclusitivity of that game, I remember that. Man, people who were getting PS4's and not having a PC were mad.

Just like how Dead Rising 3 "was" an exclusive to the XB1 but is now coming to the PC last I saw.  There's really nothing new going on here, MS just snagged a big name sequel instead of, in most cases, getting timed exclusivity on the first version of a game and then the sequels all being multiplatform.  Like Mass effect 1, Dead rising, we also know that Titanfall is going to go multiplatform with it's sequel as well, unless my memory is off.   So yeah, when we break it down there's really nothing new going on here IMO.

because the backlash would be at MS just as much as at Square and MS would pretty much have to allow the agreement be broken

Microsoft will dissolve the contract to appease other platforms users? lol WHAT?

But Dead Rising 2 was multiplatform. Fans of the franchise on PlayStation and PC were let down by the exclusivity agreement.

It's not sleazy, I secured the rights to make it exclusive, no matter what. Money, development, whatever. Titanfall was going to be timed, then it went exclusive for the first game. There was definitely an uproar over that game. Many news articles were made about the exclusitivity of that game, I remember that. Man, people who were getting PS4's and not having a PC were mad.

Don't get me wrong, making a new IP exclusive is bad but taking an existing and hugely popular franchise and doing the same is wrong. I'm annoyed at both Microsoft and Square Enix for this. If this impacts the PC version, which it presumably will, it serves as further proof of Microsoft's contempt for PC gaming after repeatedly lying about how the company was recommitting to PC.

Just like how Dead Rising 3 "was" an exclusive to the XB1 but is now coming to the PC last I saw.  There's really nothing new going on here, MS just snagged a big name sequel instead of, in most cases, getting timed exclusivity on the first version of a game and then the sequels all being multiplatform.  Like Mass effect 1, Dead rising, we also know that Titanfall is going to go multiplatform with it's sequel as well, unless my memory is off.   So yeah, when we break it down there's really nothing new going on here IMO.

Just stating that DR1 was an exclusive and was never ported to any other system, the series didn't start out as muti platform. The only true exclusive will always be first party, many third party exclusive will always get ported to pc and the sequels will end up muti platform. 

I'm also happy MGS5 is coming to pc and other platfroms!

MS provides PC gaming in other ways than just letting PC get games (DX12). It's not like MS is getting that money from those PC sales, majority of those go to Steam/Origin/UPlay. Now if games started going to the Windows Store (which I think they will with Windows 9)...then yea, I can see them being more encouraging to third party devs to make games for PC...but for now, not really.

I swear people are so easily upset sometimes.

Hint: people aren't really upset. I mean on the scope of life and things happening around folks, this isn't even a blip on the radar. However, the topic is trendy as is the hate on Microsoft (even if Sony has used similar tactics on exclusives in the past), and folks loooooove trendy.

In short, this is a bunch of whiny folks generating fake outrage to have a voice on line and join the mob mentality. It will wear off soon enough.

Just stating that DR1 was an exclusive and was never ported to any other system, the series didn't start out as muti platform. The only true exclusive will always be first party, many third party exclusive will always get ported to pc and the sequels will end up muti platform. 

I'm also happy MGS5 is coming to pc and other platfroms!

Yeah, I'm just expanding on what you said about DR1, and I agree with you about MGS5, one less reason to get either of the new systems now.

Hint: people aren't really upset. I mean on the scope of life and things happening around folks, this isn't even a blip on the radar. However, the topic is trendy as is the hate on Microsoft (even if Sony has used similar tactics on exclusives in the past), and folks loooooove trendy.

Is this as much of a concern as the current ebola outbreak or fighting in the Middle East? Of course not. Is this an issue that matters to a lot of people? Absolutely.

Microsoft saw that the PlayStation 4 version of Tomb Raider was massively outselling the Xbox One version and decided to pay to delay the PC and PlayStation versions. It's a desperate move designed to antagonise gamers. Moves like this are why people don't like Microsoft as a company.

• Like 2

Is this as much of a concern as the current ebola outbreak or fighting in the Middle East? Of course not. Is this an issue that matters to a lot of people? Absolutely.

Microsoft saw that the PlayStation 4 version of Tomb Raider was massively outselling the Xbox One version and decided to pay to delay the PC and PlayStation versions. It's a desperate move designed to antagonise gamers. Moves like this are why people don't like Microsoft as a company.

No, it really isn't a real issue that matters to most people. People like to jabber and feign outrage and indignation. History proves this.

So, when Sony has exclusives, or pays more for beta rights, or to delay xbox items, or offer special offers, it's OK? If you answer yes, please don't ever reply to one of my posts again.

Not true.

Dead Rising 1 is a special case as it launched on the only next gen console available at the time. Same goes for many of the games on 360 in 2006. Prey, GRAW, Oblivion etc etc. It took years but most of them were eventually ported to the other consoles, including Dead Rising 1 which came to the Wii (albeit downgraded for the hardware).

No, it really isn't a real issue that matters to most people.

It matters to me and the other people posting here.

So, when Sony has exclusives, or pays more for beta rights, or to delay xbox items, or offer special offers, it's OK?

No.

It matters to me and the other people posting here.

No.

Well, you and a few others are not most people, nor a blip on the overall world front. No offense.

Good. Then direct all the hate and vitriol against Sony along with Microsoft. Heck, many other companies as well. What I'm seeing here and all around the net is how Sony is a god and Microsoft is the horrible child stealing evil grumpkin in the world. It's a one sided complain fest that is sad and frankly noise for noise sake from most internet warriors.

PS. I love you.

It's a good deal for MS, it's the status quo for Xbox gamers, the gamers aren't getting anything special. TR is a multiplat game, it's not the first time it's been on the Xbox or anything like that. PS and PC gamers are getting a bad deal, but Xbox gamers are just getting what was expected when the game was announced at E3.

In fact if anything, what will happen now as it usually does whenever it does get released to PC/PS4, it will probably come with all the DLC and possibly extras. Obviously getting to play it earlier is superior, but if people do hold off they'll no doubt get the better package later...

Not if Microsoft pulls a Titanfall again and buys exclusivity for "the life of the title". I am hoping they buy it just to annoy gamers expressing faux outrage.

This is business as usual and nothing else. It is pointless to say "it was okay if this was a new IP". NO - it was not ok when MS bought Titanfall. I remember reading similar faux outrage.

Capcom has gone on record saying that Dead Rising 3 was not happening if not for MS funding it. Any uproar over DR3 is just ignorant.

Sorry to break it to you, but the majority that complained about this on Neowin have been PC users (myself included). You know, people that use some little known software MS makes, called Windows, but don't let me #### on your little MS vs Sony parade.

Where were you when Sony bought "Everybody's Gone to Rapture"? I didn't see any thread started to criticize sony for it. Or was it ok because "it is a new IP"?

Wow, get a grip people.

It's not Microsoft's job to announce when a game is coming out on PlayStation 4. If the game is exclusive to Xbox One for the 2015 holidays, they didn't deceive anyone when they said "exclusive to Xbox One for the 2015 holidays"

And as for PC gamers, shut up because you should be playing Star Citizen at 4K resolution on 3 monitors driven by GTX Titans for the 2015 holidays.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, making a new IP exclusive is bad but taking an existing and hugely popular franchise and doing the same is wrong. I'm annoyed at both Microsoft and Square Enix for this. If this impacts the PC version, which it presumably will, it serves as further proof of Microsoft's contempt for PC gaming after repeatedly lying about how the company was recommitting to PC.

Let me ask you something, what do you want MS to do to prove that it cares about pc gaming? Is it a requirement that they put out content or can that commitment be in the form of making it easier for anyone else to make games for the platform? The pc is not like consoles. MS is not in a position where it must create first party games to drive adoption, there is already a very healthy, independent development market that MS can foster.

Again, the big problem here is that MS makes a gaming console. That console needs exclusive games to drive adoption. So anyone that is going to blast Sony or MS for securing exclusive titles is basically just saying that they need to stop making consoles. It really is a tough balancing act. Basically, any exclusive on the Xbox One is technically one less game on the pc (lets assume these games would have been made on the pc in the first place), so if MS wants to properly support the X1, they must take games away from the pc. So is there any middle ground that pc-only gamers would accept, or is it pretty much all or nothing?

The other part of this that always gets me is that when an Xbox title is coming out for the pc and Xbox, people will jump all over it, saying MS doesn't have enough exclusive games, too many go to pc as well. Then when MS secures titles that don't come to the pc as well, there is an equally loud backlash that MS is hurting gamers, especially pc gamers, and not showing any support for that platform. Where are the supporters when an X1 game comes to the pc as well? That happens far more often then say for Sony titles to do the same.

It is not designed to antagonize anyone, its designed to get exclusive content to X1 owners. Now, that does not mean there isnt a side effect that some gamers get angry, but its not the intent. Its the same reason why Sony secured an early alpha and beta release of Destiny.

I just think its interesting that a move that is also done by competitors results only in MS being hated. It really shows how hard it is for MS to operate in multiple markets. They can't support one without hurting the other. Sony benefits from not having a hand in pc gaming.

• Like 2

All I see is speculation and anger everything. We don't know the full details of the deal, nor the term of it, and until then everyone needs to calm down and put the pitchforks away.

For all we know, Square might have wanted to pass on making a sequel, we all know they weren't exactly happy with the originals sales, and the other reason this game is even getting made is because of this deal - much like Bayonetta 2. Although if that hypothetical scenario was the truth; we are the on internet and I'm sure MS would still be the worst people in the world.

Capcom has gone on record saying that Dead Rising 3 was not happening if not for MS funding it. Any uproar over DR3 is just ignorant.

Given how badly it turned out it would have probably been for the best had it not been made.

Where were you when Sony bought "Everybody's Gone to Rapture"? I didn't see any thread started to criticize sony for it. Or was it ok because "it is a new IP"?

Never heard of it and the situation is different with new IP. I still don't like such exclusivity deals but at least they don't antagonise at existing fanbase. For what it's worth I just looked up the game and now I'm disappointed, as it's being made by the creators of Dear Esther which was a really atmospheric, standout game. :(

It's not Microsoft's job to announce when a game is coming out on PlayStation 4. If the game is exclusive to Xbox One for the 2015 holidays, they didn't deceive anyone when they said "exclusive to Xbox One for the 2015 holidays"

Microsoft paid for it not to be released on PlayStation 4 and PC, making it Microsoft's fault. No amount of word play can change that.

And as for PC gamers, shut up because you should be playing Star Citizen at 4K resolution on 3 monitors driven by GTX Titans for the 2015 holidays.

I'm already playing the Star Citizen alpha and loving it but that doesn't mean I don't play other games.

Let me ask you something, what do you want MS to do to prove that it cares about pc gaming? Is it a requirement that they put out content or can that commitment be in the form of making it easier for anyone else to make games for the platform?

I want Microsoft to stop paying to have games not be released on PC. That would be a start. I'd like Microsoft to release proper sequels to existing franchises like Age Of Empires, rather than tablet, pay-2-win and TV versions. I want Microsoft to not tie DirectX releases to Windows versions for arbitrary reasons, like it did with DX10 and Vista, and not make DX12 all about the Xbox One as it has done. I'd like Microsoft to support the XB1 controller on the PC like it did the X360 controller.

Again, the big problem here is that MS makes a gaming console. That console needs exclusive games to drive adoption. So anyone that is going to blast Sony or MS for securing exclusive titles is basically just saying that they need to stop making consoles.

Console exclusive doesn't mean outright exclusive. The PC isn't competing with the XB1 or X360, so there is no excuse for screwing over PC gamers. Personally I'd be happy if Microsoft stopped making consoles and went back to focusing on its core strength, which is PC.

Again, the big problem here is that MS makes a gaming console. That console needs exclusive games to drive adoption. So anyone that is going to blast Sony or MS for securing exclusive titles is basically 

ng that they need to stop making consoles. It really is a tough balancing act. Basically, any exclusive on the Xbox One is technically one less game on the pc (lets assume these games would have been made on the pc in the first place), so if MS wants to properly support the X1, they must take games away from the pc. So is there any middle ground that pc-only gamers would accept, or is it pretty much all or nothing?

I'm not a console gamer and have no interest in becoming one. I have been gaming on PC for the past twenty-five years and all I see is Microsoft going out of its way to prevent games being released on PC. As a PC gamer Microsoft is hurting my gaming experience.

The other part of this that always gets me is that when an Xbox title is coming out for the pc and Xbox, people will jump all over it, saying MS doesn't have enough exclusive games, too many go to pc as well.

Not my problem.

• Like 1

Then when MS secures titles that don't come to the pc as well, there is an equally loud backlash that MS is hurting gamers, especially pc gamers, and not showing any support for that platform.

Gee, I wonder why.  :rolleyes:

Where are the supporters when an X1 game comes to the pc as well? That happens far more often then say for Sony titles to do the same.

The only one that comes to mind is Dead Rising 3 and given that it's 'optimised for 30fps' PC gamers are far from impressed. It's a dodgy port rather than a proper PC game.

It is not designed to antagonize anyone, its designed to get exclusive content to X1 owners.

It's designed to prevent gamers from being able to buy the game on their chosen platform and to go out and get an Xbox - that's antagonistic. As you can see, a lot of people are upset about this exclusivity deal.

Now, that does not mean there isnt a side effect that some gamers get angry, but its not the intent. Its the same reason why Sony secured an early alpha and beta release of Destiny.

And I fully understand why that would upset Xbox gamers and don't approve of such behaviour, though that's not at all comparable to this.

I just think its interesting that a move that is also done by competitors results only in MS being hated. It really shows how hard it is for MS to operate in multiple markets. They can't support one without hurting the other. Sony benefits from not having a hand in pc gaming.

As I said, I have zero interest in the Xbox. I care about PC gaming and Microsoft seems to be going out of its way to screw it up, despite promises to the contrary. The difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Microsoft is responsible for Windows, the main PC gaming operating system - there is a clear conflict of interest. Microsoft should be supporting PC gaming, instead it's damaging it.

• Like 1