Slow CPU, not enough RAM, or both?

Every time I open Skype on my WP, it always takes forever, even if I opened it moments before and had to switch to another screen or app momentarily.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but basically:

- it has to load all over again every time because of limited RAM

- it is slow to load every time it does this due to lack of processing power

specs: 1GHz dual-core + 512MB RAM (Lumia 620)

note: sometimes, even loading up Settings or Messaging takes a moment (i.e. the "loading" screen actually appears for a brief moment). I figure this is also the CPU being slow at loading very basic things (when compared to Skype) which, again, were not stored in memory.

If you have cloud synced your contacts to Microsoft account and you don't care for old messages, I recommend you perform a full factory reset. Then you can rule out most of the hardware issues like CPU and RAM.

If you have cloud synced your contacts to Microsoft account and you don't care for old messages, I recommend you perform a full factory reset. Then you can rule out most of the hardware issues like CPU and RAM.

I was 100% under the impression that this sort of behaviour is normal for a budget phone like the Lumia 620.

Are you guys sure it isn't?

Also: I'm mostly asking because I'm going to be getting a new phone soon, and I want to know if I could actually "use" 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB. If what you're saying is that 512MB phones are supposed to insta-load "heavier" apps like Skype, then that answers my question.

Mobile apps are getting quite advanced, I would personally say 512mb is extremely low for a phone these days. 512mb was pretty much standard 3-4 years ago so I would suspect that is the issue.

The phone has enough ram to function, however not keep multiple apps in ram when you want to multi-task.

Even going from 1gb to 2gb+ on a phone you will notice a difference, especially if you multi-task a fair few applications.

Mobile apps are getting quite advanced, I would personally say 512mb is extremely low for a phone these days. 512mb was pretty much standard 3-4 years ago so I would suspect that is the issue.

The phone has enough ram to function, however not keep multiple apps in ram when you want to multi-task.

Even going from 1gb to 2gb+ on a phone you will notice a difference, especially if you multi-task a fair few applications.

I am not an app user at all. The only extra/demanding app I use is Skype, and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Also, I'd get 1GB, but all the Lumias that are not huge come with 512MB (except the 525, but that has the problem of a slow CPU, which is why I made this thread to try and figure out what is the bigger deal for the issues I posted, the CPU or the RAM).