Mom arrested for swearing around her children

According to WSPA television news, a South Carolina mother was arrested for swearing at her children while she shopped in a North Augusta grocery store.

A fellow shopper overheard the alleged abuse and informed a police officer, who issued a citation for disorderly conduct.

"He was like, 'You're under arrest' ... right in front of kids, in front of my husband, in front of customers," Danielle Wolf says she was told by the officer.

She goes on to say that her obscenity was directed at her husband, who had placed a frozen pizza on top of the bread in their cart.

Theresa Edwards of the Mommyish blog says this is just the latest example of parenting policing getting out of hand.

"I have a really filthy mouth, and so does my husband, and while I've made a half-hearted effort to improve my language, we often say profane things to each other that aren't even spoken in anger," she writes. "Our daughter may or not be present sometimes."

Did it do the children any good to witness their mother getting arrested, she asks.

"More and more, I feel like I have less to fear from the outside world than I do of getting in trouble when someone doesn't like the way I parent," she concludes. "I used to let my child walk to the park solo, but I haven't done that for a while, since that's apparently a criminal offense."

In case you're wondering, a North Augusta defines disorderly conduct, in part, as uttering "while in a state of anger, in the presence of another, any bawdy, lewd or obscene words or epithets".

more

Define Irony:   Attempting to filter what kids are subjected to, in hopes of them growing up to be level-headed & not use bad language, moreover without problems... you arrest their mother, right in front of them.... because that wont cause any problems.... :rolleyes:

So she was arrested, & issued a citation - this brilliant cop didnt think a warning of disorderly conduct, even a citation for it wasnt enough to get the point across ? :|

I hope the people who notified the police feel good about their decision

This just goes to show that people are getting arrested today for the stupidest of crimes, hell, swearing shouldn't even be considered a crime. 

I thought we were living in 2014, not 1614.

Im bad about it.  I do it all the time without thinking.  Then when I hear others cuss in certain situations - it sounds bad.

Im careful not to do it in professional (work) enviroments, but in a personal surrounding - I have been known to do the Trifecta of F-bombs !  "F*&^ You, you F$%&ing F#$% !!"

A fellow shopper overheard the alleged abuse and informed a police officer, 

Replace "fellow shopper" with busybody. 

• Like 3

What parent doesn't cuss to and around their kids?  The things I said around my kids ... if arrested for it, I'd be serving a life sentence

Truth. When my kids were little bitty I'd filter my language but I drop F bombs all the time now particularly when they're being punks! ;)

I went golfing with a guy from Scotland once. He was visiting stateside for some reason. Anyway, his language was epic. He'd be doing 8 life sentences after that one round. The funniest thing he'd say when he hit a ball was "DROP YA SLUT!" LOL

People need to lighten up. The lady who heard the foul language needs to reexamine her priorities. The police need to also. Hopefully the judge will agree that it's a colossal waste of time and throw it out of court.

• Like 2

Kids, this is what happens when you put frozen food on top of non frozen food -  Mommy gets arrested and daddy sleeps on the couch for week.

- Learn from dads mistakes (families throughout time series).

• Like 2

That's good, now the kids won't swear in public because they will think they'll get arrested.

I never understood why some people swear so much, they think they are cool or something when they do?

They just sound ignorant to me when they do, I personally don't want people swearing in-front of kids but also if its their kids they can parent them however they please but this lady was swearing in public which is why she got a citation.

There are too many spoiled little brats with mouths like sailors these days whom have no common sense what-so-ever and its probably cause there parents act like the ones in this article.

Sure some laws suck, but realistically some of these laws that baby grown adults need to be in place because some people are just idiots.

Language is just sounds. It baffles me that we still live with the notion that some sounds are good and other sounds are bad, or we lay blatant judgement on someone because of how we interpret the sounds coming out of their mouth, rather than how the sounds were intended.

• Like 2

What parent doesn't cuss to and around their kids?  The things I said around my kids ... if arrested for it, I'd be serving a life sentence

Present.  I don't cuss around anyone.  If you have to use vulgar language all the time, like this woman does (she admitted she has a filthy mouth, even when not angry), you've got some social skills that need work.

• Like 3

Language is just sounds. It baffles me that we still live with the notion that some sounds are good and other sounds are bad, or we lay blatant judgement on someone because of how we interpret the sounds coming out of their mouth, rather than how the sounds were intended.

What kind of idiotic reasoning is that?  Language is just sounds?  Tell you what, try using some vulgar sounds around your boss, and customers, and see if you can use your reasoning above to explain it away.  It's called manners and decency, and yes, as a society of civilized people, we have determined which words are considered vulgar and rude. 

What kind of idiotic reasoning is that?  Language is just sounds?  Tell you what, try using some vulgar sounds around your boss, and customers, and see if you can use your reasoning above to explain it away.  It's called manners and decency, and yes, as a society of civilized people, we have determined which words are considered vulgar and rude. 

vulgar and rude based on what?

Language is just sounds. Intention or meaning behind words is the real issue. A word in and of itself isn't rude or indecent or vulgar.

Oddly enough, calling his reasoning idiotic was far more impolite and rude than any string of vulgarities I could put together.

I do. and you know what? I get promoted because my 'vulgar' sounds generally mean I found or figured out something out that'll help the crew... They care about what I do, not how I do it. I never call people 'vulgar' words. I don't work with **** or ******* or a *****. I call inanimate objects that. I see this discussion isn't meant for these forums either.

• Like 1

Language is just sounds. Intention or meaning behind words is the real issue. A word in and of itself isn't rude or indecent or vulgar.

Oddly enough, calling his reasoning idiotic was far more impolite and rude than any string of vulgarities I could put together.

But idiotic is just a sound.  How can it be considered offensive to anyone?  If cussing is okay in all situations, why do most sites like this have swear filters?  Because they're all a bunch of prudes?  

But idiotic is just a sound.  How can it be considered offensive to anyone?  If cussing is okay in all situations, why do most sites like this have swear filters?  Because they're all a bunch of prudes?

...I see you have learned nothing. Its not the word, its how the word is used. Like this video I do NOT find offensive 

<Snipped>

yet it uses the F-word which is considered to be an offensive word, continuously.

Also I have no idea why it has filters. This is the only forum I partake in which has such features.

Edited by Nick H.
Video removed.

I remember in a documentary years ago about how the words "breast" and "thigh" would never be used when talking about cuts of meat. "Dark" and "white" or "light" were used instead because you would never describe anatomy, especially sexual parts in polite company.

I know of no butcher today who doesn't sell "breasts" of chicken or "Chicken thighs".

Because you insulted his intelligence. Your feeling; in this case intellectually superiority, was made clear. That was condescending.

I think you're confusing being abused with certain language which can emphasis feelings and swearing in general. Swearing in general among adults rarely raises and eyebrow except among those who think they are socially superior because they don't swear. An entirely odd thing to feel superior about.

As far as the filter question goes: isn't Neowin owned by another company? It might be their policy to censor it because they believe it is better to err on the side of caution and try to offend no one than to allow it. That is probably the reasoning for a lot of companies who discourage swearing around clients.

you+sir+just+got+owned+_5915a5d7cb7cac19