Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

And I know I've said it before but I'll say it again...

Windows 9 is a great chance for Microsoft to hire a graphic design team to unify icons. To make things look consistent. If there is one thing Apple unquestionably does better than Microsoft, it's that their new OS actually feel new. Windows 8 just looks like a skin put atop Windows 7, which was just Aero Glass atop Win9x, etc. I just don't understand why they still have icons from 1995 in the OS. Yes, there are more important things, but on the other hand, wouldn't it be a relatively minor addition that could be made quickly?

I really think just consistency alone could do a lot to really help warm people up the idea of Modern apps and the Start screen. Just being able to use your desktop wallpaper in 8.1 was a much-requested addition. I would love for the Win9 desktop to have icons that actually look like they belong in the Modern environment.

But this is Microsoft. Nothing will ever change.

Windows 9 is a great chance for Microsoft to hire a graphic design team to unify icons. To make things look consistent. If there is one thing Apple unquestionably does better than Microsoft, it's that their new OS actually feel new. Windows 8 just looks like a skin put atop Windows 7, which was just Aero Glass atop Win9x, etc. I just don't understand why they still have icons from 1995 in the OS. Yes, there are more important things, but on the other hand, wouldn't it be a relatively minor addition that could be made quickly?

I really think just consistency alone could do a lot to really help warm people up the idea of Modern apps and the Start screen. Just being able to use your desktop wallpaper in 8.1 was a much-requested addition. I would love for the Win9 desktop to have icons that actually look like they belong in the Modern environment.

But, but, but legacy! :rolleyes:

/s

The vast majority of icons date not from Windows 95 but from Windows Vista. The entirely redesigned and overhauled Task Manager in Windows 8 is an obvious counter-example to the idea that nothing is ever changed in the OS. Redoing all the icons to be consistent would certainly not be an easy task, and while consistency is one design goal, legibility and visual distinction is another. So far all the options in the new Windows 8 control panels seem to share a very limited set of crude looking icons, this is hardly an improvement.

• Like 2

It's mainly a lack of consistency. Take the Control Panel, most options open within the app itself, but some older ones still spawn their own window. There is also the usage of the old battleship gray within certain Control Panel applets but not others.

It's things like that. Even within the same application, things don't look and work the same like they should. These are the things I would most like Microsoft to address.

I agree for the most part, but not with Notepad. Notepad is perfect how it is, a simple, no-frills text editor. I would like some minor enhancements to it, but nothing in the order of the Ribbon. We have WordPad for that.

Huh? I never said it should get a ribbon. Rather add code highlighting and stuff like gedit or notepad++

Modern UI != ribbon

Windows app = modern UI

Those images are fake, not even close to what Threshold looks like right now (hint, it doesn't look all that different, yet, Win 8 + lots of new features - Start screen for desktop users)

• Like 3

The vast majority of icons date not from Windows 95 but from Windows Vista. The entirely redesigned and overhauled Task Manager in Windows 8 is an obvious counter-example to the idea that nothing is ever changed in the OS. Redoing all the icons to be consistent would certainly not be an easy task, and while consistency is one design goal, legibility and visual distinction is another. So far all the options in the new Windows 8 control panels seem to share a very limited set of crude looking icons, this is hardly an improvement.

It doesn't matter that the "vast majority" of icons are from Vista. It's the fact that ANY of the icons are pre-Windows 8. Apple through their betas, have already updated most of the icons. However, there are not a ton of graphics stick in random dialogue boxes like on Windows.

Replace old icons sonds easy, but I think you underestimate it a lot. New icons will probably be larger then their old 32x32 px counterparts for the sack of scaling, and then (even if it wasn't for scaling), you can get a lot of trouble. There is a reason the Windows Installation still uses the old Windows Vista design too.

Interesting video demo from WinFuture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAsHWNRE

screen1727.jpg

They really need to get rid of legacy applications that have Metro counterparts. Calculator being a good example. We don't need two of those.

Interesting video demo from WinFuture:

I like the video, glad to see there is an option to revert back to the start screen

The only thing missing from the video is what the start menu looks like without any Metro apps pinned to it

It's a shame they haven't implemented the same organization options for the start menu/screen like you have on WP

Hopefully that is still coming

Interesting video demo from WinFuture: (tks to @milan90 of MDL for the heads up.)

screen1727.jpg

Really liking what I'm seeing so far. That Start menu looks fast and yet doesn't take away any of the advantages of the Start screen. And it does appear that both the Start menu and a few other elements have gotten re-styled to better blend into the Modern UI environment.

They really need to get rid of legacy applications that have Metro counterparts. Calculator being a good example. We don't need two of those.

I agree. And seeing them launch a windowed Modern Calculator from the Start menu was a great example. It would appear it does everything the built-in system Calculator does, so Microsoft should just drop the legacy apps.

I like the video, glad to see there is an option to revert back to the start screen

The only thing missing from the video is what the start menu looks like without any Metro apps pinned to it

It's a shame they haven't implemented the same organization options for the start menu/screen like you have on WP

Hopefully that is still coming

It's still so early in the process, I'm betting the menu itself will change even more before this goes RTM.

The legacy windows calculator has more features and options. But if they added them to the metro calculator then yes there is no need for 2

That's exactly what they should do. Isn't the main purpose of these "Modern" apps that they can, supposedly, be updated on a quicker basis than the OS itself? If so, they should just create Modern app equivalents of the built-in system ones and replace them. Calculator, maybe a Paint tool, etc.

So every news item on Windows 9, has a tonne of comments saying this is ugly, followed by people saying but its not final or UI will come last...

see im worried because im struggling to think of a time in any past Windows development cycle - at this stage - where that becomes true.  This isn't some leak from the start of the development cycle, this is at the point where they are showing it around - even if it is only for the partners or developers 1) they know from past experience first impressions count 2) when have we ever seen a major UI update this late in the game.  This thing is out next year not in some distant future

The only time I can recall is with Windows Whistler when it went from codename to XP they slapped on the iconic green button look of Windows XP.  But that was just a theme/skin, not a change in the structure, layout or functionality of the OS.

Look I hope I'm wrong and someone comes in and schools me on the times when this has occurred and why its definitely going to happen but I just have this sinking feeling that we keep saying its gonna be totes different in the final but what if that's not true.

see im worried because im struggling to think of a time in any past Windows development cycle - at this stage - where that becomes true. This isn't some leak from the start of the development cycle, this is at the point where they are showing it around - even if it is only for the partners or developers 1) they know from past experience first impressions count 2) when have we ever seen a major UI update this late in the game.

Does Windows 8 not ring a bell to you?

Windows%2B8%2BAlpha%2B1-2011-09-18-16-27

How about Windows 7?

Windows-7-M1-Reduced-Functionality-Mode-

Windows Vista also went through numerous design changes, before settling.

desktop.jpg

Do you remember Vista to Windows 7? Windows 98 to Windows ME? 

But that wasn't my point which I think you missed, take a deep breathe and re-read my comment im not having a dig at windows 9 but rather questioning if this radical redesign we are all hoping for is coming.  To get back to your screenshots they don't tell anything about what I am referring to, Windows 8 by this point was windows 8, some features were still locked out but the direction and die were cast.  Windows 7 was windows 7, there was no magical redesign that appeared at the last minute.. .

But that wasn't my point which I think you missed, take a deep breathe and re-read my comment im not having a dig at windows 9 but rather questioning if this radical redesign we are all hoping for is coming.  To get back to your screenshots they don't tell anything about what I am referring to, Windows 8 by this point was windows 8, some features were still locked out but the direction and die were cast.  Windows 7 was windows 7, there was no magical redesign that appeared at the last minute.. .

This is a preview build. And yes, Microsoft held Windows 7 close to the chest too. Don't you remember users had to hack preview builds to unlock features?

Not to hate on Australians, but you people really argue anything anyone does with design. First on Windows 8, then on  Neowin's redesign and now on Windows 9! I'm serious look at the location of prominent members of Neowin that completely hate on the new "flatter" designs.

Windows 8's development cycle was a lot longer than Threshold's, and the DP was WAAYYY different from the RP of Windows 8 in terms of design, functionality, features, and User Experience.

Your screenshots of Vista though aren't really the same thing.  I would agree longhorn to vista came out very different but longhorn was really a stand alone product that got scrapped in the end so its not the same as I originally ceded to it in my first post before removing it.  And features being locked out aren't the same as a UI redesign or a cut and polish which I think people are expecting.

I'm hoping for it too as the pics of Win9 so far look quite bad and a poorly mixed UI paradigm but historically I don't think theres much precedence of this happening and logically why would you preview something that is not your best foot forward? 

Not to hate on Australians, but you people really argue anything anyone does with design. First on Windows 8, then on  Neowin's redesign and now on Windows 9! I'm serious look at the location of prominent members of Neowin that completely hate on the new "flatter" designs.

Windows 8's development cycle was a lot longer than Threshold's, and the DP was WAAYYY different from the RP of Windows 8 in terms of design, functionality, features, and User Experience.

I think that's a pretty poor comment Ians, regarding location.  Im also not having a dig at Win9 but questioning this redesign which users (go look at any news item) are after and whether its actually going to come.  The closed mindedness of you and dot matrix to consider this and immediately jump to me bashing win8/win9 is akin to the cultist reaction you get in the mac forums and very disappointing.

And fwiw my comments regarding the design of the site were that the main news items were too large on high res display but I liked the overall design.  I shouldn't have to justify that though and don't appreciate my opinion being dismissed because of location anymore than you probably do being lumped in with myopic cultists.

Your screenshots of Vista though aren't really the same thing.  I would agree longhorn to vista came out very different but longhorn was really a stand alone product that got scrapped in the end so its not the same as I originally ceded to it in my first post before removing it.  And features being locked out aren't the same as a UI redesign or a cut and polish which I think people are expecting.

I'm hoping for it too as the pics of Win9 so far look quite bad and a poorly mixed UI paradigm but historically I don't think theres much precedence of this happening and logically why would you preview something that is not your best foot forward? 

I think that's a pretty poor comment Ians, regarding location.  Im also not having a dig at Win9 but questioning this redesign which users (go look at any news item) are after and whether its actually going to come.  The closed mindedness of you and dot matrix to consider this and immediately jump to me bashing win8/win9 is akin to the cultist reaction you get in the mac forums and very disappointing.

And fwiw my comments regarding the design of the site were that the main news items were too large on high res display but I liked the overall design.  I shouldn't have to justify that though and don't appreciate my opinion being dismissed because of location anymore than you probably do being lumped in with myopic cultists.

You think we are closed minded? Location doesn't matter, that was an observation... But, we are not closed minded. What you see to think is that Windows always = bad design. What we are saying is that the design will change, and we think it is way better than Yosemite or Android L's copy-cat designs.

That's exactly what they should do. Isn't the main purpose of these "Modern" apps that they can, supposedly, be updated on a quicker basis than the OS itself? If so, they should just create Modern app equivalents of the built-in system ones and replace them. Calculator, maybe a Paint tool, etc.

Fresh Pain is already a worthy replacement for Paint (they just need to simplify the UI).

Fresh Pain is already a worthy replacement for Paint (they just need to simplify the UI).

Fresh Pain?