Windows 9 and Windows 365 expected to See The Light Of Day

Misspelling of Fresh Paint.

I was wondering if he had a "painful" experience with Fresh Paint, just like people call Windows Windblows or Android, Fandroid.

I was wondering if he had a "painful" experience with Fresh Paint, just like people call Windows Windblows or Android, Fandroid.

I am sorry that I misinterpreted your comment.

certainly not :laugh: it was just a...painful typo.

So every news item on Windows 9, has a tonne of comments saying this is ugly, followed by people saying but its not final or UI will come last...

see im worried because im struggling to think of a time in any past Windows development cycle - at this stage - where that becomes true.  This isn't some leak from the start of the development cycle, this is at the point where they are showing it around - even if it is only for the partners or developers 1) they know from past experience first impressions count 2) when have we ever seen a major UI update this late in the game.  This thing is out next year not in some distant future

The only time I can recall is with Windows Whistler when it went from codename to XP they slapped on the iconic green button look of Windows XP.  But that was just a theme/skin, not a change in the structure, layout or functionality of the OS.

Look I hope I'm wrong and someone comes in and schools me on the times when this has occurred and why its definitely going to happen but I just have this sinking feeling that we keep saying its gonna be totes different in the final but what if that's not true.

The Windows 8 RTM got a whole redesign in the desktop after the RC. Some apps got a whole redesign in Windows 8.1 RTM compared to the preview too.

Things such as icons, sounds, etc. can be added in very late in development, since they usually won't cause any major issues. I believe during Vista's development, the final login and logout noises didn't show up until a late RC. 

For Win9, it's possible that new icons, sounds, etc. may very well show up in a future beta. I doubt what we are seeing now has been entirely set in stone.

If the rumor that MS has different internal builds with different levels of UI changes floating around MS HQ then I'd say it's a safe bet what we're going to get in this first preview isn't anything close to final.  I think it's good to think of this as a M3/Milestone 3 preview before they enter the beta stage of development. 

Seems MS is planning(or actually, planned) a beta-testing for win9, but I don't have much details yet: the tester first installs a win7(or SP1?), then he would upgrade on-line to win9TP, after that, he shall receive internal updates and could upgrade all the way to RTM, expected next Fall. This would be done under NDA because the updates are all internals, and the first win7->win9TP update is expected around end-Sept or early-Oct.

So MS is seemingly testing the win7->win9 upgrade path, I don't know if the users installing a public pre-release would be able to do it too. :)

Seems MS is planning(or actually, planned) a beta-testing for win9, but I don't have much details yet: the tester first installs a win7(or SP1?), then he would upgrade on-line to win9TP, after that, he shall receive internal updates and could upgrade all the way to RTM, expected next Fall. This would be done under NDA because the updates are all internals, and the first win7->win9TP update is expected around end-Sept or early-Oct.

So MS is seemingly testing the win7->win9 upgrade path, I don't know if the users installing a public pre-release would be able to do it too. :)

I havent heard that specifically, but it aligns nicely to my rapid update path for Windows in this post: https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-threshold-rapid-release-is-getting-really-interesting

Wait, so you're saying that it's possible for Microsoft to allow selected people to partake in a test which allows them to upgrade from an internal development channel rather than the public one?

I havent heard that specifically, but it aligns nicely to my rapid update path for Windows in this post: https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-threshold-rapid-release-is-getting-really-interesting

Wait, you reckon Microsoft has already begun testing Windows 7 > Windows 9 upgrades? I assume this is a private test as of right now?

I only have a preliminary doc but it's under NDA, hopefully if I do receive the update then I could post something, but I also heard the rumor that this particular win7-win9TP update could be public, the following updates are not(do take all these as rumors). :)

Could someone do me a favor?

This is codeproject:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/4410/Hide-scrollbars-from-a-CListCtrl

This is a really really old project.

Ther is this link inside it:
Download demo project - 36.2 Kb

Inside this project in the "Release folder" there is an old MFC4.2 app.

This program is running with win8.1.
I'm interested in "is it still running on win9".

Or do you have to go to "Control panel->Add/Remove Windows Features"
And check the "legacy language package" checkbox to run.
I think that MS is deprecating some things.

Kind of funny though really those are two different issues, the tech preview image looks like a bug/error in the DWM not refreshing the desktop right.   The other is just old Windows error popups repeating for some reason.

Kind of funny though really those are two different issues, the tech preview image looks like a bug/error in the DWM not refreshing the desktop right.   The other is just old Windows error popups repeating for some reason.

Fair enough. That said, if you were to remove the title bars, that would make for a killer wallpaper. :D

Brad has blogged about win9 would recognize the PC device (screen-shot courtesy of VB in QQ group) :)

104527ty16sjv557jotcq1.jpg

The image does not appear. 

Brad has blogged about win9 would recognize the PC device (screen-shot courtesy of VB in QQ group) :)

screen1737.jpg

I will admit that this is a trivial complaint, but it is slightly irritating that "pc" is not capitalized. I hope that this changes in the final release.

• Like 2

I want the F8 key back. None of this trigger safe mode from inside Windows Crap. None of this F8 + Shift key crap... Just let us turn the computer on and start tapping F8 god dammit.

I want the F8 key back. None of this trigger safe mode from inside Windows Crap. None of this F8 + Shift key crap... Just let us turn the computer on and start tapping F8 god dammit.

Huh?

They removed this because it's almost impossible to do, if I go to the Task Manager, it says bios time is 0.3 seconds. Way to less to hit the button. Beside, the PC Settings app now provides these options, what's the problem?

Then you want Vista - F8 was shown the door in (believe it or not) Windows 7.

They removed this because it's almost impossible to do, if I go to the Task Manager, it says bios time is 0.3 seconds. Way to less to hit the button. Beside, the PC Settings app now provides these options, what's the problem?

As if Shift + F8 is any easier, if you can even get it to work.

PC Settings app? You mean the one INSIDE OF WINDOWS WHEN WINDOWS WON'T BOOT? For the love god, can people stop telling people We don't need no stinking hot key because you can tell windows to boot into safe mode from PC Settings. While this is true, the entire point of Safe mode is a mode to be used when you can't boot into regular mode.

Yes you can create a recovery USB key, yes you can maybe get it to work from inside recovery. I'm just talking about walking the average user through it over the phone so I can establish a remote assistance connection, which is almost impossible to get the average user into safe mode with Windows 8 if the PC wont' boot.

Then you want Vista - F8 was shown the door in (believe it or not) Windows 7.

Nope F8 still works just fine in Windows 7 (Believe it or not)