Poll: Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?

Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Should Windows 9/Threshold be X64 only?

No, there's way too much x86 software out there that's still in use.. that's just stupid, killing compatibility with zero gain. Even the Server editions which are x64 only now still have the WOW64 subsystem available. If I wanted to install an OS that only runs a fraction of the stuff I need I'd toss on Linux.

Windows On Windows should be off by default for Professional and Server.

On for Home Edition.

Microsoft will kill off WoW64 when we get 64bit CPUs that can't run 32bit code, which will be never basically (Since 64bit support in consumer CPUs is done as an extension of 32bit mode). There is absolutely no need to remove WoW64 on a consumer OS, and allowing the user to do so would be a easy way for them to brick their system.

It is now 2014... So I absolutely say yes to this.

We should have been in a 64/128bit world by now.

No consumer CPU on the market actually supports a 64bit address space, they max out at around 48-50 bits. And when was the last time you needed over 18 EB of RAM in your system that would require a move to a 128 bit CPU?

As others have stated, yes, Windows should go x64 only with the x86 support intact. Enterprise needs it. For consumers on the other hand (casual gamers, facebook, skyping type) pure x64 could almost work except for one flaw in the computing world. When a Windows version comes out that breaks certain tradition, the tech-world will scream "it sucks!"  and the consumers will parrot it without even thinking. Saw it with Vista, saw it with Windows 8.x. (funny enough it occurred in very small packets with pre SP1 XP).

I wish they would. I haven't installed a 32 bit version of Windows for a long time. I also keep getting annoyed when these vista 32bit systems keep coming into my office and I can't install more than 4gb ram. I say just keep 8 or 7 32 bit around for people that need 32bit.

Microsoft will kill off WoW64 when we get 64bit CPUs that can't run 32bit code, which will be never basically (Since 64bit support in consumer CPUs is done as an extension of 32bit mode). There is absolutely no need to remove WoW64 on a consumer OS, and allowing the user to do so would be a easy way for them to brick their system.

No consumer CPU on the market actually supports a 64bit address space, they max out at around 48-50 bits. And when was the last time you needed over 18 EB of RAM in your system that would require a move to a 128 bit CPU?

there's no real reason to get rid of WOW.. but there is a reason to get rid of the 32bit version of windows. microsoft desperately needs to simplify it's offerings.

Right now, you can buy tablets with 2 GB memory (I'm skipping the crazy cheap tablets with only 1 GB memory). These tablets need 32-bit Windows, if you install 64-bit Windows on them, it will have impact on the performance.

I'd say they need to get rid of the 32-bit full version, but keep a 32-bit upgrade edition for these older tablets.

Ditch WOW64? Never... there's no reason to. Microsoft would be shooting themselves in both feet by removing 32-bit compatibility.

Went to the dentist yesterday. While the assistant was doing a examination of my mouth using the dental software, I notice the same software was crashing, in addition to other custom apps they had on the system. While she went away to get that heavy straight jacket thing they put over you, I grabbed the wireless mouse and took a sneak peak properties. 64 bit Windows 7

I am sure if it is was 32 bit, these apps would not be unstable.

Also, if you say it should be 64 bit only, what about Microsoft Surface laptops running RT? Those are 32 bit only. There are many 64 bit systems that can't run 64 bit Windows 8.1 well, but they run 32 bit Windows 8.1 well.

kmov_kent_crazy.gif

LOL.. You crazy...  you were lucky that she would have came back and caught you doing that. If caught, they may kick you out.

The dentist may have 32bit software that runs on 64bit OS which they have WOW64. Even they may have XP Mode or VM for 32bit software.

My brother has Windows XP at his work. I was like "Windows XP?"   He said "Yeah."

Anybody who thinks it would be a good idea to remove the ability to run 32 bit software in 64 bit is off their rocker, and needs to be admitted into a metal hospital immediately as they are a danger to themselves and those around them.

• Like 2

there was a time where i would have said yes, probably a couple years ago. but tablets such as the dell venue 8 pro have proven that x86 still has some life in it

Only releasing a 64-bit edition of Windows 9, yeah... I'm all for that.

But stripping out the WOW64 layer from an OS to be released in months, not years, from now? That is some crazy concept right there. Why would you even consider such a thing? It's complete bonkers. I mean, what benefit would it give? WOW64 is only used by 32-bit software, it doesn't hinder 64-bit software in any way as that runs natively.  So I ask again... why?

The first step is to stop selling a 32-bit edition of Windows. That will then encourage developers to compile all their software for 64-bit, knowing that almost everybody has a machine that will run it. Only once the vast majority of software comes in 64-bit versions can you consider dropping 320bit support.  Doing so before then would be utter lunacy.

I doubt this will be feasible in the next few years, just too much legacy stuff, especially in enterprise to remove the WoW64 layer.

X64 Means no WOW or X86 Emulation layer.

That would be... stupid... we're at the very least 10 years away from that, since after we hit true 32 bit and then 64 bit, high bit bandwidth hasn't server a purpose anymore.

even releasing the OS as just a 64 bit version with not 32 bit version(as in just a plain old 32 bit version) is dubious yet. but personally I wouldn't have a problem with it, BUT seeing as it's kind of a rolling update on top of 8 wich still exists as 32 bit and runs fine on some old 32 bit hardware, unlikely to happen. 

While i think it would help out a lot there are plenty of reasons not to make it x64 only. such as standard tablets (not core i machines) and other such devices that run on Atom processors.

64bit only no 32bit disc or downloads only available in 64bit version get rid of 32bit already.

ppl who still buy 32bit are either elderly or retarded.

I think having a 64-bit OS is a great idea, but removing WOW64 is ridiculous.  List the apps that you have installed on your PC.  Are you saying that none of them are 32-bit?  By voting "YES", though, you're saying that you have no need for 32-bit application support because all the apps you run are 64-bit apps.  What does that have to do with being elderly or mentally impaired?

not dropping it would be dumber.

From your signature, avatar, and other info, it looks like you're not even running Windows.  Maybe you should head back into the Mac discussion area, because you clearly don't know what you're talking about, bro.

Yes. The few people with 32 bits only machine can simply install Windows 8.x 32 bits.

Seriously AMD has been doing 64 bits capable cpus for a good 10 years now.

[edit] I did not see at first you meant removing wow64 too.

They can't remove this. But making the os 64 bits only would help reducing the number of 32 bits only apps in the future.

I think having a 64-bit OS is a great idea, but removing WOW64 is ridiculous.  List the apps that you have installed on your PC.  Are you saying that none of them are 32-bit?  By voting "YES", though, you're saying that you have no need for 32-bit application support because all the apps you run are 64-bit apps.  What does that have to do with being elderly or mentally impaired?

Indeed anyone thinking about removing WOW64 should really go look at task manager and see just how many proccesses are still 32bit...

It's actually most of the apps on the average system.

Backward compatibility with applications is one of Microsoft's strong points. Before Windows 8 was officially released to businesses or consumers, Microsoft was generous enough to respond to a user's concern that he wouldn't be able to run 16-bit software on the operating system. I know that Microsoft must move forward eventually, but I would hate for Microsoft to do so with a release designed to fix the shortcomings of its predecessor.