Elementary OS Beta Freya... best linux ever!

To minimize just right click on a Windows border in the top and select "Minimize".

He can also install elementary tweaks and edit the settings in there to show the minimize button on apps.

tried it out for 5 mins in virtualbox and tried to remember the last time using it. either it got worse (which i dont believe) or i got even more used to kde and all its features because besides of the nice icon set and easy to use concept which will for sure appeal to many new to the linux world, all i see is featureless boredom :(

should add, that in general, the linux world should not have it necessary to call one linux the best linux ever.

tried it out for 5 mins in virtualbox and tried to remember the last time using it. either it got worse (which i dont believe) or i got even more used to kde and all its features because besides of the nice icon set and easy to use concept which will for sure appeal to many new to the linux world, all i see is featureless boredom :(

should add, that in general, the linux world should not have it necessary to call one linux the best linux ever.

The biggest difference might be the interface, saw the video "Why linux sucks" and the main problem was forking, really interesting.

used luna since its beta, that got me into Vala. did a lot of things for/with the team and did installed freya and yeah, it is good but the problem for me is the ubuntu base.. i know is nice, stable, etc but once you go arch you never go back =/

maybe if they use debian instead of ubuntu... but yeah :/

used luna since its beta, that got me into Vala. did a lot of things for/with the team and did installed freya and yeah, it is good but the problem for me is the ubuntu base.. i know is nice, stable, etc but once you go arch you never go back =/

maybe if they use debian instead of ubuntu... but yeah :/

The benefits between a linux distro or the other, its very confusing to me. why its arch better? i though ubuntu was based on debian?, why is debian better?

The benefits between a linux distro or the other, its very confusing to me. why its arch better? i though ubuntu was based on debian?, why is debian better?

Different ways of doing things in the configuration, how it's updated (and how often, rolling vs set releases), do you prefer to build-up from scratch or take an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink distro and tear down, different policies (some are strict about the FOSS thing, some are relaxed), etc. End result's going to be more or less the same, it's just how you get there and how you maintain it.

ubuntu is based on debian but despite using the same packaging system, i woundnt call it "debian based" anymore. it has gone too far in modifying it system that is a separated distro now.. arch gives you control over everything, you get always fresh and updated packages asap and theres AUR which is pretty neat.. ubuntu LTS also has a issue with the kernel being old (in a few years you will notice that). for instance when I installed luna in my laptop (asus vivobook with touchscreen) the touch wasnt working until i updated the kernel manually (by compiling it, adding another repo, whatever) and it was based on lts 12.04. Now ubuntu is using kernel 3.13 i guess and arch is already on 3.16

Different ways of doing things in the configuration, how it's updated (and how often, rolling vs set releases), do you prefer to build-up from scratch or take an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink distro and tear down, different policies (some are strict about the FOSS thing, some are relaxed), etc. End result's going to be more or less the same, it's just how you get there and how you maintain it.

ubuntu is based on debian but despite using the same packaging system, i woundnt call it "debian based" anymore. it has gone too far in modifying it system that is a separated distro now.. arch gives you control over everything, you get always fresh and updated packages asap and theres AUR which is pretty neat.. ubuntu LTS also has a issue with the kernel being old (in a few years you will notice that). for instance when I installed luna in my laptop (asus vivobook with touchscreen) the touch wasnt working until i updated the kernel manually (by compiling it, adding another repo, whatever) and it was based on lts 12.04. Now ubuntu is using kernel 3.13 i guess and arch is already on 3.16

I had to update kernel manually too, but nothing a command in the terminal couldnt fix. I had trouble with eos on my laptop also, had it with ubuntu too.

none is better per se than the other. it heavily depends on what you need your distro for and what hardware you can offer.

some prefer a very simple, light distro, yet easily to use, therefore l/xubuntu and also elementary are great.

arch is awesome if you are a pro, as you can get build it specially to your machine suitings and theoretically, thanks to it being rolling release, you never have to install it again.

others prefer to have a very complete distro and i think all of them out there falling relatively short of this. kubuntu is maybe the one going most in that direction, still if you install it you first have to configure your webbrowser to do adblocking, you will miss the latest java pre-installed, an allround download tool like jdownloader, the iconset looks a bit outdated and could come along more professional, libreoffice most likely is not up2date, the latest kernel is not included, etc. etc.

therefore i created snapshot-linux which comes a an over 4GB iso, but has the big advantage to have all these things above and a bit more.

generally i prefer debian based stuff, apt-get is awesome and reliable.

none is better per se than the other. it heavily depends on what you need your distro for and what hardware you can offer.

some prefer a very simple, light distro, yet easily to use, therefore l/xubuntu and also elementary are great.

arch is awesome if you are a pro, as you can get build it specially to your machine suitings and theoretically, thanks to it being rolling release, you never have to install it again.

others prefer to have a very complete distro and i think all of them out there falling relatively short of this. kubuntu is maybe the one going most in that direction, still if you install it you first have to configure your webbrowser to do adblocking, you will miss the latest java pre-installed, an allround download tool like jdownloader, the iconset looks a bit outdated and could come along more professional, libreoffice most likely is not up2date, the latest kernel is not included, etc. etc.

therefore i created snapshot-linux which comes a an over 4GB iso, but has the big advantage to have all these things above and a bit more.

generally i prefer debian based stuff, apt-get is awesome and reliable.

I love apt-get, ive found setting up linux its really easy and fast compared to windows. Downloading and installing an app with a simple command?, hard to live without after getting used to it!. the closest ive seen in windows is ninite.

I love apt-get, ive found setting up linux its really easy and fast compared to windows. Downloading and installing an app with a simple command?, hard to live without after getting used to it!. the closest ive seen in windows is ninite.

i agree. and apt-get update/upgrade is even far better than anything windows can offer. i am amazed how microsoft still manages it to bring updates to over 1GB size, that would be a whole distribution in linux world.

i agree. and apt-get update/upgrade is even far better than anything windows can offer. i am amazed how microsoft still manages it to bring updates to over 1GB size, that would be a whole distribution in linux world.

As a windows user since windows 1.0 after using eos for a few months and then coming back to windows, i noticed everything in windows its bulky and bloated.

Cant say windows doesnt work or that it crashes a lot, i just feel theres soo much stuff in the middle (UI), services running in the background and wasting space in my SSD.

Ribbon,Metro,Internet explorer, a lot of other features and services running in the background that i might never need.

need to download an app to keep me safe,

need an app to sort my desktop icons (fences),

need an app if i want customize my icons(iconpackager), theme(windowsblinds or uxstyle).

If a lib is missing in windows, have to download it somewhere without knowing what the hell is inside, if its safe or not. linux just know what it needs and where to get it from.

Its really clear that Linux its just smarter than windows in all ways, it feels that way. Mainstream or popular is not always better.

Linux its like a poor girl that loves you because who you are, OSX its a sexy gold digger, and windows its a dirty w#0r3.

• Like 2

Linux its like a poor girl that loves you because who you are, OSX its a sexy gold digger, and windows its a dirty w#0r3.

Linux is Shakira, OS X is Katy Perry and Windows is Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus

As a windows user since windows 1.0 after using eos for a few months and then coming back to windows, i noticed everything in windows its bulky and bloated.

Cant say windows doesnt work or that it crashes a lot, i just feel theres soo much stuff in the middle (UI), services running in the background and wasting space in my SSD.

Ribbon,Metro,Internet explorer, a lot of other features and services running in the background that i might never need.

need to download an app to keep me safe,

need an app to sort my desktop icons (fences),

need an app if i want customize my icons(iconpackager), theme(windowsblinds or uxstyle).

If a lib is missing in windows, have to download it somewhere without knowing what the hell is inside, if its safe or not. linux just know what it needs and where to get it from.

Its really clear that Linux its just smarter than windows in all ways, it feels that way. Mainstream or popular is not always better.

my best experience with this stupid windows explains it that way: till a very short time, i had use windows on my notebook running mediacenter software, as hdmisoundoutput did not work in linux because of some driver restrictions.

so everytime i wanted to record a tape, i booted windows and it offered me about 20 updates, all downloaded and installed before i even could login. after 20-30 mins everything was completed but by then i was in no mood anymore to tape the sound.

luckily now, hdmi soundoutput works with kubuntu so i dont need windows anymore.

clustered and bulky, especially if the user is not an advanced one. always ends up with at least 3 toolbars in his internet explorer just because of the software he had to install.

the endless security problems, windows 7 bluescreening after recent updates, updates pulled back because they were released unworking, viruses, trojan horses, and so on. the list just never ends.

with linux, if an update is not working i log into kubuntu developer channel, most by the time i report smthg its already worked on and fixed in an hour or so.

try to play .vox files with windows. not possible. you will have to download one of these dubious codec packs, where they can include anything, also backdoors and stuff.

with linux, it just works. period.

linux is like the ideal person YOU can create. you can chose hairstyle, clothing, body type and shape, you could even create hands with 2 thumbs on because it makes working faster and better. and you can always modify it to your current needs.

you can even have 2 or more partners like the mormons used to, everyone for the fun you are looking for.

osx is like an artificial "barbie" with lots of color in the face. very limited language and does always the same 2 or 3 things the same way. if you use it too long, you get plain dumb.

Edited by Geoffrey B.
Cleaned Up for language

every packaging system i`ve tried is awesome in its own way (apt-get, yum [very awesome], pacman [very very ultra blaster awesome], zyppy, portage) i think the distro itself is what really matters.. i have no problems with ubuntu based distros (nothing major) but im more into bleeding edge software because im a developer, i like to see new stuff even if they have bugs, etc

freya is bugged now (as it was luna on its beta 1). it is usable, no doubts but knowing the team i do know it will get better later this year :)

i only dislike the lts base and thats not their fault, is LTS fault. the support is long but the software tends to be obsolete after some time, even with the long support, that i dislike

but then you have the non-lts which requires a new install every 6 months or so, which i also dislike.

if freya could be rolling-release, it`d be the god of the distros (thats why they should be debian based or something hehe or they can optimize ubuntu stuff to be rolling as well idk), you shouldnt have to reinstall a linux os never imo, unless you have major problems or want to switch to another distro

windows could be better, it has potential but lack of perception perhaps... they dont really need a Unix base (like osx) to do something good. in fact windows kernel has some linux based stuff as well, they all share stuff..

UI is not a problem in windows (i dont like metro but the regular windows 8 interface is pretty good), is something that they can change or give the user power to do so (which they dont seem to want to)

they way things were coded in windows seems like they never re-code a bad function, they only add bloat/fix few things in it, thats why its not really changing since forever

maybe the M$ programmers miss/are still stuck in DOS era hahaha not even linux that is powered by a CLI interface (essentially) has such limitations

I have done some cleaning on the thread, try to keep on topic about the Distro and not about dissing Microsoft or other OSs

• Like 3

The nice thing I found about Elementary is that once you get the keyboard shortcuts in your fingers and configure hot corners the way you like them, the window management is amazing.

Over the last year I've spent over a month using Elementary OS for at least 7 hours every week day at work right at the release of Luna (yay for OS freedom at work). I really came to love the window management and missed some of it when I went back to Windows.

Windows is excellent too, and because it doesn't use virtual desktops it may feel a little more coherent yet chaotic at times, depending on if you run everything maximized or combine multiple windows in the same view. OS X did less good for me, also used it at work for about five months on an iMac, with a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Once I got some custom gestures set up with BetterTouchTool it was OK, but I still felt like I lost windows at times.

If I didn't rely on Microsoft Office from time to time and if my laptop didn't have serious compatibility issues with any Linux I'd run Elementary full-time. I might switch over to Freya once I move to a desktop.

The nice thing I found about Elementary is that once you get the keyboard shortcuts in your fingers and configure hot corners the way you like them, the window management is amazing.

Over the last year I've spent over a month using Elementary OS for at least 7 hours every week day at work right at the release of Luna (yay for OS freedom at work). I really came to love the window management and missed some of it when I went back to Windows.

Windows is excellent too, and because it doesn't use virtual desktops it may feel a little more coherent yet chaotic at times, depending on if you run everything maximized or combine multiple windows in the same view. OS X did less good for me, also used it at work for about five months on an iMac, with a Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad. Once I got some custom gestures set up with BetterTouchTool it was OK, but I still felt like I lost windows at times.

If I didn't rely on Microsoft Office from time to time and if my laptop didn't have serious compatibility issues with any Linux I'd run Elementary full-time. I might switch over to Freya once I move to a desktop.

I just made chrome shorcuts to microsoft word web app to run as a window, its not as responsive as a native app since my internet connection is kinda slugish, but it worked pretty well.

https://office.com/start/default.aspx

can you provide a download link? i will give it a try in virtualbox but it will never replace my kubuntu 14.04 :)

I'm trying to fire it up in Virtualbox but I can't get VB to start.

That's just not true. I do like linux a lot and I actually started with SCO System V but I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  Windows works across a very large amount of hardware/software combinations and generally works.  Get a network scanner/printer working in Linux with accounting.  Or get Outlook connected to an exchange server with a 3rd party plugin.  Or try using some hardware dongle based software.  You just can't make statements like that without giving it a specific context.

That's just not true. I do like linux a lot and I actually started with SCO System V but I wouldn't go so far as to say that.  Windows works across a very large amount of hardware/software combinations and generally works.  Get a network scanner/printer working in Linux with accounting.  Or get Outlook connected to an exchange server with a 3rd party plugin.  Or try using some hardware dongle based software.  You just can't make statements like that without giving it a specific context.

Windows advantage is hardware compatibility,and software/game compatibility. But linux system changes and optimizes its own experience faster. How much time it took windows to get virtual desktops?, not there yet but coming sooner or later