Journalistic Integrity in the gaming press is shot

What do you think it stands for ? GamerGate isn't about what the small group of tweeners at 8chan is doing by spreading hate and threats. They are just idiots trying to ride the gamergate, while they don't really represent anythign about gamergate.

either way, after seeing how the media handles this, I'm more and more in support of GG regardless. Just look at polygon and the Verge and their coverage, they don't have ONE not a SINGLE story about the gamergate side, what they want and stand for, they haven't tried interviewing a SINGLE person. All their claims about what gamergate is comes from two claims, the stupid Quinn crap(whihc was before GG anyway, though it helped start the "movement") and Threats against mainly Sarkeesian.

on the other hand, if Sarkeesian farts, then they write an article about it, and at the same time even if she isn't talking about GG and threats against here in whatever they're writing about her, they threw in several paragraphs about how bad GamerGate is and how they're torturing her. 

Polygon used to be my gamer news goto, but during this I have lost all respect for them, they have show they have no journalistic integrity, they have shown that their so called journalists aren't even pretending to be journalists. They're covering a "major" case wich any serious news organization would know means they HAVE to cover both sides, they're not even pretending to cover the gamergate side. They're not saying anything negative about Sarkeesian.  They're not pointing out how she's lying and fabricating evidence in her anti game videos, They're not covering how she directly said she's not a gamer, yet bases all all anti video game videos on being a gamer. 

Look at their latest Editors not on gamergate again, it was a bunch of crap about how they have journalistic integrity and only covering sarkeesians plight is the right thing to to,  it's like I didn't read the document he quoted himself in the article. 

So what do you think gamergate is about. it's Certainly not about anything you'll read about in any of the major gaming news sites, since they're to busy painting it black and claiming GG is all about wanting to kill and rape women in games, because that's what Sarkeesian says, and whatever she says is correct. 

It doesn't really matter what he thinks it stands for or what you think it stands for. Fact is there are people that support gamergate that are sending all sorts of threats and that is what gamergate is. You can't ignore it under the pretense of gaming journalism not covering the other side.

And even if gamergate stood what you want it to stand for, what's the end game? It's not better games so I don't know what good could come of supporting it. Better gaming press from gaming sites? Whoop de doo.

• Like 1

It doesn't really matter what he thinks it stands for or what you think it stands for. Fact is there are people that support gamergate that are sending all sorts of threats and that is what gamergate is. You can't ignore it under the pretense of gaming journalism not covering the other side.

And even if gamergate stood what you want it to stand for, what's the end game? It's not better games so I don't know what good could come of supporting it. Better gaming press from gaming sites? Whoop de doo.

No there are people sending threats, but they have NEVER said they are from gamergate. that's the press. 

How is it not standing for better games. It's certainly more for better games than Sarkeesian is, her goal is merely to tear down gaming and making all games my little pony, no blood, no gore, no violence, all games should have a plain looking female as the main character, and all villains should be men, preferably drooling cavemen.

Claiming the attackers who are harassing sarkeesian represents GG is as stupid as claiming sarkeesian represents all female gamers, which ironically is what the gaming press does, despite the vast majority of female gamers being diametrically opposed to her. 

Oh look, it's the same old tired "they were just joking/trolling" cop out.

I wasn't aware a fact is a cop out. Biddle is a former editor at Gizmodo and is a nerd himself. The tweets are sarcastic.

No there are people sending threats, but they have NEVER said they are from gamergate. that's the press. 

How is it not standing for better games. It's certainly more for better games than Sarkeesian is, her goal is merely to tear down gaming and making all games my little pony, no blood, no gore, no violence, all games should have a plain looking female as the main character, and all villains should be men, preferably drooling cavemen.

Claiming the attackers who are harassing sarkeesian represents GG is as stupid as claiming sarkeesian represents all female gamers, which ironically is what the gaming press does, despite the vast majority of female gamers being diametrically opposed to her. 

If this Sarkeesian individual wants to be such an influence beyond being a whiny loudmouth, why doesn't she start a game studio, make one of these games and watch maybe three people buy a copy before her studio goes out of business?

The entire GamerGate movement is a joke. It was based on malicious and false accusations and revealed many gamers to be misogynists. We're talking about women and journalists who wanted to improve the depiction of female characters in video games, which everybody knows are usually highly sexualised.

There are many legitimate issues with journalistic integrity in video games but they aren't being highlighted by GamerGate - it is simply an excuse for misogynists to attack women under the guise of fighting for journalistic integrity.

I'm disappointed that you would make such an obvious straw man attack. I thought better of you. She wasn't trying to eliminate all gore, violence, blood and sexuality from video games - she was pointing out the gender inequality and campaigning for change. Further, many developers supported the campaign and wanted to help improve the depiction of women in video games. It's not that I even agree with all of her criticism and I find her a very dislikeable individual but many of the points she raised were valid and the misogynistic attacks against her only highlight that.

GamerGate has revealed a nasty side to gaming, one that people were aware of but didn't fully appreciate. All too often such behaviour is attributed to teenagers whining on Xbox Live but the reality is that it's much more widespread than that.

The GamerGate movement is associated with misogyny and abuse - one cannot support it without the inherent associations. I consider video game journalism to be gutter journalism and want to see it improved but supporting or associating with the GG movement is not the way to go about that.

If this Sarkeesian individual wants to be such an influence beyond being a whiny loudmouth, why doesn't she start a game studio, make one of these games and watch maybe three people buy a copy before her studio goes out of business?

That makes no sense. :pinch:

She is attempting to highlight and counter gender inequality, sexism and misogyny in the video games industry - starting her own studio wouldn't achieve that. If there is police corruption the answer isn't to start your own police force, it's to eliminate the corruption.

She is attempting to highlight and counter gender inequality, sexism and misogyny in the video games industry - starting her own studio wouldn't achieve that. If there is police corruption the answer isn't to start your own police force, it's to eliminate the corruption.

Ok so there's things she doesn't like. You know what? She doesn't have to buy or play those games.

I don't like rap music, so I don't buy it. I don't run around complaining about it though.

Also, your analogy of 'starting your own police force' is nonsensical because government entities are outside of the rules of free markets.

PS, there is no gender inequality in the video games industry. There is a lack of interest in females of getting into the industry (and pretty much most industries that involve science/math/technology).

The GamerGate movement is associated with misogyny and abuse - one cannot support it without the inherent associations. I consider video game journalism to be gutter journalism and want to see it improved but supporting or associating with the GG movement is not the way to go about that.

Associated by the press and GG is against the press. I'll let you do the math.

It's interesting to think they actually thought they had integrity to begin with.  We all know advertising dollars generate good reviews. There is a huge amount of politics in the media since they get their revenue from who they review.   It's been like this for over 20 years I don't know why its such a big deal now.  The whole sexism is a smoke screen to generate interest.  It exists in every form of business and just recently managed to affect the gamer community since it was so male heavy for years.

The entire GamerGate movement is a joke. It was based on malicious and false accusations and revealed many gamers to be misogynists. We're talking about women and journalists who wanted to improve the depiction of female characters in video games, which everybody knows are usually highly sexualised.

There are many legitimate issues with journalistic integrity in video games but they aren't being highlighted by GamerGate - it is simply an excuse for misogynists to attack women under the guise of fighting for journalistic integrity.

Ah there we go, the biased completely un researched media line. One that they got directly from sarkeesian.

Its not even what they're based on or what they want. Its what a small group of 8chan idiots are doing and sarkeesian is blaming on GG because they wont support her, obviously because misogonysts and anti feminists, because that's the only reason people wouldn't agree with her and support her, according to her and her spokespersons, namely the media that parrots her every word like canon.

I wasn't aware a fact is a cop out. Biddle is a former editor at Gizmodo and is a nerd himself. The tweets are sarcastic.

Pffftahahaha, sure he is. It's still a cop out though, just take a look at some feminist articles on "I was just joking".

Fact is there are people that oppose gamergate that are sending all sorts of threats and that is what anti-gamergate is.

And hey, the public perception of the Xbox One is a failure too, does that make it factually a failure? ;)

Your response makes far less sense, not only do sex-negative feminists like Sarkeesian seek to set back gender equality - but comparing stepping up and leading by example in media to the role of policing is utterly asinine.

I'm disappointed that you would make such an obvious straw man attack. I thought better of you. She wasn't trying to eliminate all gore, violence, blood and sexuality from video games - she was pointing out the gender inequality and campaigning for change. Further, many developers supported the campaign and wanted to help improve the depiction of women in video games. It's not that I even agree with all of her criticism and I find her a very dislikeable individual but many of the points she raised were valid and the misogynistic attacks against her only highlight that.

GamerGate has revealed a nasty side to gaming, one that people were aware of but didn't fully appreciate. All too often such behaviour is attributed to teenagers whining on Xbox Live but the reality is that it's much more widespread than that.

The anti-gamergate movement is associated with bullying, abuse, death threats, misogyny, rape, and body shaming. If you oppose gamergate that means you explicitly endorse and encourage all of those things.

But really all you and others in this thread have shown is your gullibility and ignorance, and willingness to jump on bandwagons with zero proof or justification of claims beyond accusations of muh-soggy-knees. Hmm, now where does that sound familiar. Oh right, it's the same kind of smear attack that was employed against Brad Wardell and then quietly forgotten and never retracted when the case was proven bunk.

And honestly as loath as I am to agree with HawkMan, he's probably right. Before the video series Anita Sarkeesian stated she doesn't like or play videogames and hates violence in games too, contrary to her later claims during the kickstarter that games were a big part of her life.

Considering she also actively misrepresents games (like Hitman for example) in her videos, yeah. Her "criticism" is without value.

• Like 2

It's amazing how quickly people who viciously victimize others jump to imploring that they're, in fact, the real victims. :rolleyes:

Ok so there's things she doesn't like. You know what? She doesn't have to buy or play those games.

I don't like rap music, so I don't buy it. I don't run around complaining about it though.

Consumer activism is a perfectly valid strategy. Do you honestly expect her to form her own multi-billion dollar game development studio to address issues of sexism and misogyny? Because if so you're being ridiculous. Even if she were successful in her own venture that wouldn't eliminate sexism and misogyny in the rest of the industry. It makes more sense to campaign for change and bring it to people's attention. You seem to be against it because you're afraid it will work.

Associated by the press and GG is against the press. I'll let you do the math.

The press isn't a giant collective working together for a secret agenda. GG exposed the nasty side of gaming and the press had to cover that. It went beyond video game journalism, being covered by respected publications.

Ah there we go, the biased completely un researched media line. One that they got directly from sarkeesian.

Its not even what they're based on or what they want. Its what a small group of 8chan idiots are doing and sarkeesian is blaming on GG because they wont support her, obviously because misogonysts and anti feminists, because that's the only reason people wouldn't agree with her and support her, according to her and her spokespersons, namely the media that parrots her every word like canon.

I don't agree with her on many issues?as I said I find her very dislikeable and she takes things too far?but that doesn't mean I would support the GG movement, which was based on malicious and inaccurate claims. There are many issues with video game journalism but those raised by the GG movement weren't legitimate.

Normally I respect your opinions but you're way out of line on this one.

Not sure why that's bad?

O9Y5IwB.jpg

Double standards are fun, I guess.

• Like 2

It's amazing how quickly people who viciously victimize others jump to imploring that they're, in fact, the real victims. :rolleyes:

Oh look, it's a affluent white suburban cismale minimising and erasing abuse.

Check your privilege please.

Consumer activism is a perfectly valid strategy. Do you honestly expect her to form her own multi-billion dollar game development studio to address issues of sexism and misogyny? Because if so you're being ridiculous. Even if she were successful in her own venture that wouldn't eliminate sexism and misogyny in the rest of the industry. It makes more sense to campaign for change and bring it to people's attention. You seem to be against it because you're afraid it will work.

I don't want outside influences changing gaming. Games should be made by gamers for gamers, not based on outside political influence. Sarkeesian isn't even a gamer to begin with. She just wanted to make noise and the gaming press provided her a channel to do so.

I think games should be made according to what people want. It is not a feminist's job to tell me what kind of games I want to play. If she wants people to play another type of game, there already are THOUSANDS of games that meet her needs, or so I would hope. People like her have absolutely no business in this matter.

You don't know how ridiculous you sound when you run around campaigning for people like her. It's so utterly stupid that I'm not surprised at the kind of response they get when they spout out these dumb ideas. They put on this "social justice" image of tolerance and then they violate their own principles like true hypocrites.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/17/6996601/on-gamergate-a-letter-from-the-editor

The editorial sums up quite nicely why 'gamergate' is a bunch of ######. 

it was a ###### article made by people afraid for their jobs but instead of 'not' continuing to ###### on it's readership they are digging in deeper. They don't realize that Anita Sarkeesian is jack Thompson with make up. it's amazing the amount of conservative ###### you can get to fly with liberals when you take up one of their beloved identities such as "feminist". I wonder if a feminist could convince liberals to hate the poor too.

Both sides of this argument are ridiculous. We have known that gaming journalism has been rigged for a long time. Jeff Gerstmann was the poster board for video game journalism corruption and this is a REAL issue that needs serious addressing. However, I don't recall the legions of 4chan and 8chan coming out over the Jeff Gerstmann incident, although the community was vocal with no result which could of antagonized the response this time. Lets face it, the response is shaped by two things, people being fed up after several instances of gaming journalism scandals such as the one involving Jeff Gerstmann, and the inherent sexism that all the chan boards and anon groups exhibit. Spend 5 minutes on B, R, or GIF and tell me the locals aren't sexist. That said, Anita is playing on gamer's emotions, while changes do need to be made in the gaming industry in both journalism AND portrayal of women, she comes in with no knowledge of the games shes describing grossly misinterpreting many things in games, and then makes a video directed at everyone BUT gamer's (as evidenced by needing to describe what an NPC what, a video directed at gamer's would not do this). This in turn makes gamer's feel as if outside forces are destroying their games without even knowing about the games. While she makes some good points, the only way to bring change that will be accepted better is for more women to become interested in gaming and make video games that match a gender neutral play style. Change must be sponsored by actual women gamer's who care about making good games that will appeal to women as well. More adventure games would be a start. My girlfriend is currently thoroughly enjoying The vanishing of Ethan Carter and said she thinks more games like that would appeal to women gamer's. If this does not happen, then video games will never change. For this change to ever really occur, then sexism in other forms of media such as movies and media need to be addressed at the game time. 

Except there isn't really any issues with sexism in video games. Did you know, for example, that the art designer of Bayonetta is a women?

Not only that but there are quite a few strong female characters in recent games that aren't overly sexualized. Bioshock Infinite and the new Tomb Raider games are good examples there. Outside of Bayonetta I have a hard time of thinking of any games where women are overly sexualized (not counting background npc like prostitutes in games series like Assassins Creed). And with Bayonetta you know from the start that she is a super sexualized character going in and if you don't like it then just don't buy it.

And all of that argument assumes that only straight males play video games. Completely ignoring the fact that transsexual, bisexual, and gay people play them too. For people who are supposedly arguing for equality they always conveniently overlook that little tidbit. That goes for movies, comic books, and whatever else that is under attack now, too.

The problem is the gaming industry did not make anything else than "rap" music in the last 10 years.

Thank god for indie gaming people who want to play something else than fps tailored for 14 years old boys can start playing video games again.

Playing just one game of COD on xbox live with my headset on gives me the urge to cut my veins ...

I don't want outside influences changing gaming. Games should be made by gamers for gamers,

They are not anymore and have not been for at the very least 10 years.

Non indie games are made by big international corporations who don't give a **** about games.

I don't want outside influences changing gaming. Games should be made by gamers for gamers, not based on outside political influence. Sarkeesian isn't even a gamer to begin with. She just wanted to make noise and the gaming press provided her a channel to do so.

I think games should be made according to what people want. It is not a feminist's job to tell me what kind of games I want to play. If she wants people to play another type of game, there already are THOUSANDS of games that meet her needs, or so I would hope. People like her have absolutely no business in this matter.

You don't know how ridiculous you sound when you run around campaigning for people like her. It's so utterly stupid that I'm not surprised at the kind of response they get when they spout out these dumb ideas. They put on this "social justice" image of tolerance and then they violate their own principles like true hypocrites.

If outside influences never tried to change anything we'd still be in the stone age. It's not like she or anyone is trying to bring about some massive change in gaming. She's not trying to legislate change. She's not blackmailing developers to change what they develop. She's shedding light on a legitimate social issue that people can act on of their own accord, but threats aren't an appropriate reaction.

• Like 2