Journalistic Integrity in the gaming press is shot

Not sure why that's bad?

O9Y5IwB.jpg

Double standards are fun, I guess.

the worst part...even if you did get the he-man build, there's no way on earth you can legally wander about the streets carrying a big sword, and an axe.

The problem is the gaming industry did not make anything else than "rap" music in the last 10 years.

Thank god for indie gaming people who want to play something else than fps tailored for 14 years old boys can start playing video games again.

Playing just one game of COD on xbox live with my headset on gives me the urge to cut my veins ...

nothing but rap for the last 10 years? what about ALL of nintendo? What about blizzard? what about square enix? what on earth makes you think that all AAA developers are grand theft auto ?

Not sure why that's bad?

O9Y5IwB.jpg

Double standards are fun, I guess.

If only society placed the same amount of weight on how a man looks as it does how a woman looks you might have a valid point. Even if we ignore that, nobody is saying objectifying men is okay either.

The problem is the gaming industry did not make anything else than "rap" music in the last 10 years.

Thank god for indie gaming people who want to play something else than fps tailored for 14 years old boys can start playing video games again.

Playing just one game of COD on xbox live with my headset on gives me the urge to cut my veins ...

You mean those indie developers that can't do anything but churn out Minecraft and Day Z clones? Those indie developers that get their journalist friends to write biased "reviews" for them? Those indie developers that release games via early access and abandon them in a barely-alpha state?

Or how about the IGF that recruits judges that don't even bother to play the games they're assigned and instead vote based on who they feel deserves the award more, not on the quality of the game.

Yeah, such a shining beacon of integrity and quality.

Oh and just saying but, if you don't like rap music, maybe you should pick a mainstream radio station instead of one specifically for rap. Rather than asking why RapFM isn't playing viking death metal.

If only society placed the same amount of weight on how a man looks as it does how a woman looks you might have a valid point. Even if we ignore that, nobody is saying objectifying men is okay either.

society doesn't place more weight on women. women put more weight on women. Women are their own worst nightmare with their cattiness.

If outside influences never tried to change anything we'd still be in the stone age. It's not like she or anyone is trying to bring about some massive change in gaming. She's not trying to legislate change. She's not blackmailing developers to change what they develop. She's shedding light on a legitimate social issue that people can act on of their own accord, but threats aren't an appropriate reaction.

I'm not interested in feminist politics coming into video games. I prefer to let the free market handle these things. If anyone really had a problem with these games, they wouldn't buy them. Feminists shouldn't be trying to dictate what I buy. They haven't provided any valid argument as to why I should not buy a particular game. I dislike their shady agenda and even more so the way they're going about it.

• Like 2

I think it's important not to go too far in the other direction and lump all feminists under the same banner (That makes you as bad as they are), not to mention this isn't really an issue of feminism in the first place, rather it's the result of the authoritarian "Social Justice" movement which is dominated by hypocritical sex-negative and other assorted radical feminists.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the majority of gamers probably don't have any issue with discussing feminism in gaming provided that the source of that discussion isn't agenda driven, heavily biased, manipulative and deceitful. They certainly do take issue to being hit over the head with poorly researched "criticism" and then told they're dead, worse than ISIS, and deserving of bullying.

It is still worth pointing out however that TERFs (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists) do very much exist and more mainstream feminists are slowly waking up to their toxic presence. I ask those condemning gamergate as purely a hate movement - does that not make feminism now purely a transphobic hate movement too?

• Like 2

I think it's important not to go too far in the other direction and lump all feminists under the same banner (That makes you as bad as they are), not to mention this isn't really an issue of feminism in the first place, rather it's the result of the authoritarian "Social Justice" movement which is dominated by hypocritical sex-negative and other assorted radical feminists.

In fact I'd go so far as to say the majority of gamers probably don't have any issue with discussing feminism in gaming provided that the source of that discussion isn't agenda driven, heavily biased, manipulative and deceitful. They certainly do take issue to being hit over the head with poorly researched "criticism" and then told they're dead, worse than ISIS, and deserving of bullying.

It is still worth pointing out however that TERFs (Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists) do very much exist and more mainstream feminists are slowly waking up to their toxic presence. I ask those condemning gamergate as purely a hate movement - does that not make feminism now purely a transphobic hate movement too?

Ok yeah that's what I was talking about but I didn't really know there were so many levels of feminist. I'll just refer to the manipulative ones I don't like as turbo feminists from now on.

Ok yeah that's what I was talking about but I didn't really know there were so many levels of feminist. I'll just refer to the manipulative ones I don't like as turbo feminists from now on.

Stick with "Radical Feminist", it's the most widely accepted term and is used to self-identify by some feminists. "Turbo" doesn't really convey the connotation of extremist views, rather just a strong conviction - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Just as much as there are feminists which think transpeople are gender traitors or "identity fetishists" (TERFs), there are feminists that strongly advocate for gender inequality issues that men face (believing that solving inequality for men equally empowers women in turn). Heck, on the other side there are self-identified Mens Rights activists like Karen Straughan who eschew feminism.

It's a complex mixed pot, just like gamergate. What we need is to reject those that seek to pidgeon-hole and reduce the conversation to generalised tribalism.

The problem stems from journalists misrepresenting #Gamergate as singularly comprising white misogynistic males who fear the notion that females are invading their space; Which is of course complete balderdash. The real reason for framing the argument this way is to deflect from the reality of questionable journalistic practices, namely, the quid-pro-quo going on between indie developers like Zoe Quinn, and Kotaku writers. That kind of corruption has always been there, bubbling at the surface, this scandal merely brought it to a head and encapsulated everything that is wrong with gaming journalism.

it should be noted for people walking into this; this didn't start with the quinnspiracy. This has been going on for years now.

/v/ the musical is probably the most awesome incarnation of  what we are currently calling #gamergate

best part is that a second musical is being made   <-Post #gamergate

so I came in here expecting something about how reviews are all purchased these days and its all corrupt, expecting some sort of scandal as is generally synonymous with using gate on the end of something and instead its just a disappointing tirade of feminism in gaming ranting...someone just clarify for me, the gate part, was that started because the female dev got the video taken down for xyz reasons?

and there's a reason why old media isn't trusted at all.

this is my favorite part:

A lot of the people calling for ?journalistic ethics? quite transparently don?t know anything about journalism ? to say that sites should clearly label what is and isn?t opinion, for example, is just plain weird, because a) that distinction is less and less relevant and is mostly a relic of newspaper days; and b) it?s a basic reading-comprehension thing; anyone who reads on a daily basis can tell, pretty simply from various cues in the narrative, whether they?re reading a work of ?straight? journalism [outdated, troublesome term], ?pure? opinion [again, bleh], or some combination of the two [which is what a lot of games coverage is].)

this hack is basically saying that there is no reason to have disclaimers. there's no reason to be objective. that's in the past. that's the way things USED to be.. you have to get on-board with being an opinionated shill rather than an objective journalist with integrity.

so I came in here expecting something about how reviews are all purchased these days and its all corrupt, expecting some sort of scandal as is generally synonymous with using gate on the end of something and instead its just a disappointing tirade of feminism in gaming ranting...someone just clarify for me, the gate part, was that started because the female dev got the video taken down for xyz reasons?

that's the quinnspiracy.

#gamergate came as a response to 20 articles being released within 48 hours, most in the first 24, that said gamers were dead. that was basically our confirmation that there was collusion between games journalists. the gamesjournopro email list actually showing the collusion happening was our final absolute evidence. just look at the videos i posted a couple posts up and you'll see what's going on. this started month/years before anyone even knew who zoe quinn was.

The fact that they say Depression Quest is a "well regarded indie title" tells you all you need to know about that article.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270170/

Just go read through some of the reviews it has on steam. 45% of which are negative, and of the 55% that are positive, most of them say the game has to be some sort of joke.

It can also barely even be considered a game.

that's the quinnspiracy.

#gamergate came as a response to 20 articles being released within 48 hours, most in the first 24, that said gamers were dead. that was basically our confirmation that there was collusion between games journalists. the gamesjournopro email list actually showing the collusion happening was our final absolute evidence. just look at the videos i posted a couple posts up and you'll see what's going on. this started month/years before anyone even knew who zoe quinn was.

Thank you for clarifying

The fact that they say Depression Quest is a "well regarded indie title" tells you all you need to know about that article.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270170/

Just go read through some of the reviews it has on steam. 45% of which are negative, and of the 55% that are positive, most of them say the game has to be some sort of joke.

It can also barely even be considered a game.

what's crazy is that they think "games" like that and gone home are the future of the industry.

let's put this into perspective

Gone Home - a non game that all you do is wonder through your parents house and invade your sisters privacy gets a freaking 10

https://web.archive.org/web/20141015075338/http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4620172/gone-home-review-if-these-walls-could-talk

Bayonetta - an awesome game. gets on 7.5 and the review involves constant bitching about the sexualization of the main character despite the fact it's made BY A WOMAN.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141017035952/http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/13/6957677/bayonetta-2-review-wii-u

The press isn't a giant collective working together for a secret agenda. GG exposed the nasty side of gaming and the press had to cover that. It went beyond video game journalism, being covered by respected publications.

You must have missed (or selectively ignored) the media blackout and censorship of anyone who dared talk about the whole quinnspiracy, and then, like magic, all the big gaming sites posted articles calling the term "gamer" dead, plus the mailing list. It's ok though, now you know.

• Like 3

I'd much rather see "Frank B comments on Brianna Wu using ableist slurs" honestly, but I'm guessing that'd be too far from your echo chamber.

An earlier anti-gamergate narrative was "gamergate isn't doing enough to condemn harassment", so where's your condemnation of Brianna Wu?

Or condemnation of any of the atrocities anti-gamergate has and continues to commit in the name of so-called "Social Justice".

Thread Closed

All right, any semblance of discussion in this thread has obviously gone away, if you guys want to discuss it further you can take it somewhere else.