'Crap' Australian parents raising a generation of spoilt brats by not setting boundaries

Full title: 'Crap' Australian parents raising a generation of spoilt brats by not setting boundaries, psychologist warns

A prominent Australian psychologist has warned Australia is currently raising a generation of spoilt brats, because their parents are "crap" and "never say no".

Dr Michael Carr-Gregg believes today's parents have a lot to answer for, and there may be serious long-term consequences for Australia. 

Dr Carr-Gregg attributes the rise of poorly-behaved children to five major parenting problems.

"The first [problem] is that there are too many parents being doormats for their kids. They have got what I call a vitamin N deficiency, which is a failure to say no.

"It's incredibly important that parents set limits and boundaries and I don't know that that's happening at the moment."

Dr Carr-Gregg identified the "helicopter parent" as another "model of crap parenting" he was targeting in his work.

"The high-strung, control-freak parents that want to smother their kids with so much love and attention and monitoring and supervision that they never, ever develop any self-reliance and can't solve their own problems later on."

Evidence of bad parenting 'in schools around Australia'

The Australian psychologist said he has seen ample evidence of the consequences to these types of parenting, not just in his own clinic but in schools around Australia.

"For the last 15 years I have been on the speakers' circuit in schools around Australia, and it's the teachers in early learning centres, the primary schools, the secondary schools that regale me with stories."

An evolution in parenting styles over the last 20 years is to blame for the influx of bad parenting, Dr Carr-Gregg said.

"We've had people moving to these artificial villages called cities, primarily to get jobs and in doing so, a lot of the kinship networks have been destroyed.

"A lot of the wisdom around parenting, which was derived from grandparents, for example, has no longer been so readily available."

The consequences of bad parenting has both short- and long-term effects, warned Dr Carr-Gregg.

"The short-term consequences you can see in restaurants and in waiting rooms and in airports throughout Australia, where you have these kids who are just completely feral, running out of control.

"Parents don't do anything about it because they're frightened of being seen as bad parents or frightened to say no."

Dr Carr-Gregg said this style of parenting has major effects on the mental health of children and adolescents as they grow up.

"Long-term, I think what we're doing is infantilising a lot of children into incompetence."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-23/crap-australian-parents-raising-a-generation-of-spoilt-brats/5691638

Probably not an issue isolated to Australia.

Parents are too sheltering in todays lifestyle. 
As a kid I could go out and play with friends, these days parents are too scared to let their kids outside because of pedophiiles and rapists and god knows what else. Thats why parents today are crap. Let kids be kids. 

• Like 1

That's not only in Australia...  Parenting seems to be a lost art.  Having kids is a checkmark is the "life todo list" and when they are born, well, lets hope they raise themselves.

And since parents don't want their life disturbed by the kids, well, they give them everything as long as they keep their mouth shut.

Education, school, is getting them dumb too, because hey, parents don't have time for homework, and kids don't like homework.  So they reduce, change the education program to fit in this new lifestyle.

We call them "Enfants rois" or child-as-king.

Ah, Carr-Gregg, the guy who wrote Princess Bitchface Syndrome is back trying to get more news coverage.

To counter his thoughts, its worth mentioning that we currently have so many prospective doctors that there are not enough hospitals for them to intern in, meaning some might not be able to finish their education (in Australia, immediately after graduating, at least). If this generation of spoiled brats turn out to be more educated, more passionate and larger contributors to society, then by all means lets continue to spoil them.

"We've had people moving to these artificial villages called cities, primarily to get jobs and in doing so, a lot of the kinship networks have been destroyed.

"A lot of the wisdom around parenting, which was derived from grandparents, for example, has no longer been so readily available."

ugh

But let me guess, he's got a book to sell.

• Like 1

'Crap' parents raising a generation of spoilt brats by not setting boundaries, psychologist warn.

Ftfu

fixed.

helicopter parents are a common trend with the "haves" even in non western countries.

'Crap' parents raising a generation of attention-seeking psychologists by not setting boundaries, scientists warn.

fixed.

fixed.

helicopter parents are a common trend with the "haves" even in non western countries.

fixed.

These guys are spot on. It's not just a Western thing ffs.

I work at a supermarket. It annoys and disgusts me the way parents allow their children to run amok in the store. Ripping out price tickets, disturbing stock, throwing balls around the store, running around with trolleys and just being a general nuisance to both staff and other customers. The parents don't say anything to the kids and us staff are told not too either.

Honestly, if you can't control your kids, keep them at home or better yet, don't have any if you don't a) have the patience or b) are to stupid yourself.

Sorry for the rant fellas, bad day at work haha.

Have noticed a lot of this since moving down here. The kids are largely dumb as bricks too

Got plenty of bricks up here in the USA, too. :wacko: