What's that message at the top of the forums? We're upgrading

Raa, on 26 Aug 2014 - 07:39, said:

It's already responsive as it is.

I believe by responsive it was meant that the theme/general look of the forum adjusts to the available pixels in the browser viewing it instead of requiring mobile and non-mobile variants of it.

The news page does this and does it rather well.

Yeah, you can't force desktop into mobile and mobile into desktop with responsive sites. Responsive reacts to the size of the screen/window. If you adjust your browser window you will see. The User Agent, which is normally used to detect mobile vs desktop is not being used here.

The admins have already said to those with font issues turn DirectWrite on in about://flags in chrome.

It be nice if Google was using responsive web design more for their services. I only notice G+ using it. Gmail's right side gets cut off making you have to resize to get to all the controls(no horizontal scroll appears), and it would be nice if YouTube videos fit the available width.

Thanks for fixing problems that Google a multibillion dollar company can't.  :rofl:

It be nice if Google was using responsive web design more for their services. I only notice G+ using it. Gmail's right side gets cut off making you have to resize to get to all the controls(no horizontal scroll appears), and it would be nice if YouTube videos fit the available width.

Thanks for fixing problems that Google a multibillion dollar company can't.  :rofl:

Gmail uses device specific ID'ing to tailor the design basd on the device you have. They do this, rather than using responsive design, as the y need to make vast structural and backends changes, not just style changes.

Been going to your site a pretty while now, and the new layout is absolutely NOT helpful/pretty/nice looking. It's not practical. I don't know where to look, it's just one page with a bunch of big images and text.

There is(/was...) a reason why I went here, you just straight up served me with my daily dosis of tech news.

If this is permanent, I think I'm just gonna switch to sites like hackernews or even better, skimfeed.

Please make an option to switch back to the normal layout!

What's witht he terrible font rendering on titles of articles ?

both in the latest opera and chrome releases(non beta).

It looks fine in the new Opera Dev, but fonts on the Web shouldn't require DirectWrite (or whatever lack of support in existing Chrome/Opera causes this) to render correctly. Opera 12.x is another where this shows up.

Please offer some accommodation on this, as even body text doesn't look as good as it should (though it looks fine on other sites).

One other thing I noticed: comments are missing in Opera 12.x.

It looks fine in the new Opera Dev, but fonts on the Web shouldn't require DirectWrite (or whatever lack of support in existing Chrome/Opera causes this) to render correctly. Opera 12.x is another where this shows up.

Please offer some accommodation on this, as even body text doesn't look as good as it should (though it looks fine on other sites).

One other thing I noticed: comments are missing in Opera 12.x.

I will say again what I said in another thread earlier today

Opera 12 uses a now obsolete engine that is no longer being updated to support newer features/protocols

it is not Neowin's job to make sure the site supports legacy browsers that don't themselves support standardized code

I will say again what I said in another thread earlier today

Opera 12 uses a now obsolete engine that is no longer being updated to support newer features/protocols

it is not Neowin's job to make sure the site supports legacy browsers that don't themselves support standardized code

It still shouldn't require you to enable experimental functions in your browser. 

Been going to your site a pretty while now, and the new layout is absolutely NOT helpful/pretty/nice looking. It's not practical. I don't know where to look, it's just one page with a bunch of big images and text.

There is(/was...) a reason why I went here, you just straight up served me with my daily dosis of tech news.

If this is permanent, I think I'm just gonna switch to sites like hackernews or even better, skimfeed.

Please make an option to switch back to the normal layout!

Unfortunately they're trying to copy The Verge. I don't mind the verge as a tech news site, I quite like some of their articles. but their front page is horrible. 

Then again, the verge hides the top banner but keeps the navigation bar visible when you scroll down, this is something neowin should maybe get inspired by, not the annoying big blocks design. (no it's not effin metro, it's nothing like metro. Metro is clean and organized, this stuff is messy and unorganized)

• Like 2

WOW! At first I assumes I mistyped the url and was on some domain for sale site.

I will hold my judgement for now but this is so totally different, bigger switch than win7 --> windows 8. It will take quite some time to get used to it.

It still shouldn't require you to enable experimental functions in your browser. 

it doesn't. as of today chrome stable has DirectWrite on by default. so that's all 3 major browsers that support DirectWrite (IE, FireFox, Chrome)

Unfortunately they're trying to copy The Verge. I don't mind the verge as a tech news site, I quite like some of their articles. but their front page is horrible. 

Then again, the verge hides the top banner but keeps the navigation bar visible when you scroll down, this is something neowin should maybe get inspired by, not the annoying big blocks design. (no it's not effin metro, it's nothing like metro. Metro is clean and organized, this stuff is messy and unorganized)

Jeez, How is this site design anything like theverge's? I'm all for people saying ite looks like other tech sites, but thats one site it looks nothing like. And once again, metro... please tell me what is metro about this design? Pictures are squared shape, should I round them up like the avatars to avoid this so called "metro look"? Please give me your suggestions on how to fix this broken design. 

• Like 2

Timan, honestly I really like the current design. While I don't agree with the round avatar and feel the top story images are a bit too big. I really do like the design. I think a lot of people are frustrated with this design because a lot feel strongly about the site they love and use on a daily basis.

I appreciate everything all the staff behind Neowin has done with this update and I do have things I dislike about it as I noted above. The biggest thing is the lack of notifications, which I honestly feel should have been rolled out with the update and not done separately.

Overall, don't get discouraged. People aren't complaining to be ###### and a good chunk of them are not complaining about the change for the sake of change. A lot just don't express their criticism properly and I apologize if this post also felt a bit scattered. I just understand how frustrating it is to do work that doesn't seem to be appreciated at all by people and do not want to see you get discouraged or angry over it.

On a non-design related note, could we get load-as-you-scroll comments on articles over X comments? This doesn't scroll that smoothly with all those comments loaded in one go.

• Like 2

Bug: The "^" link at the very bottom of the comments section under a news story doesn't take you to the very top of the article, it's about 50px too short.  You have to scroll the rest.  Expected behaviour is to be taken to the very top of the article with the vertical scrollbar at the very top.

Jeez, How is this site design anything like theverge's? I'm all for people saying ite looks like other tech sites, but thats one site it looks nothing like. And once again, metro... please tell me what is metro about this design? Pictures are squared shape, should I round them up like the avatars to avoid this so called "metro look"? Please give me your suggestions on how to fix this broken design. 

I said it doesn't look like metro. 

As for the Verge. you use the EXACT same blocks for the main stories, only  can only see three massive blocks on neowin and without the color gradient overlay, while on the Verge I can currently see 7 of them ( believe this actually changes).

Pro to Verge for having more featured/top/latest stories at the top.

Con to Verge for the layout with the blocks being a messy pile of bile. 

I don't mind the blocks as such, but they're to damn big, make them smaller. and don't blend them so much, and it will increase usability of the UX a lot.

and as I said, kee the main bar visible all the time. don't hide the main nav bar when you scroll down... this has been good UX design principle for years now since sites learned form the first horrible over designed Web 2.0 sites where everything hid when you din't "need" it  

I don't pop in the forums anywhere near as much as I used to, but I just had to pop in here to congratulate and compliment the whole team on an amazing job with the site re-design! Looks really fresh and very visually pleasing to the eyes, a grand job. You guys should be proud! (Y)

Notifications will eventually be added. They're always added later. Right now we're working on fixing some backend bugs we've had over the past few days. Then little front page tweaks, such as missing tooltips, browser bugs, responsive quirks. 

So if Opera doesn't render text like that on every other site that I use (and I use a lot), but does on Neowin, then the problem is Opera?  Really?  I can assure you that very few other sites are bending over backwards to support Opera; they never have. Yet they look good. Why?