What's that message at the top of the forums? We're upgrading

rseiler, on 26 Aug 2014 - 18:06, said:

So if Opera doesn't render text like that on every other site that I use (and I use a lot), but does on Neowin, then the problem is Opera?  Really?  I can assure you that very few other sites are bending over backwards to support Opera; they never have. Yet they look good. Why?

It could be many different factors at play. Font family, size, any particular CSS changes that are done for those sites.

It could be many different factors at play. Font family, size, any particular CSS changes that are done for those sites.

OK, this all just surprises me, especially considering that Chrome has been the most talked about browser for years, and until today didn't support DirectWrite. I can't think of a site except here where that meant this kind of look:

RRAzm0iRRAzm0ikpdGXDZ.jpg

It should merely mean this:

RRAzm0i.jpg

So if Opera doesn't render text like that on every other site that I use (and I use a lot), but does on Neowin, then the problem is Opera?  Really?  I can assure you that very few other sites are bending over backwards to support Opera; they never have. Yet they look good. Why?

To be fair, the classic Opera is no longer supported not just by other sites but by Opera Software themselves, other than essential security fixes. And even while it was under active development I have had my fair share of seeing random small things break in Presto to having strange visual glitches. Those have gone away since their switch to the Chromium base and now they can focus on building in UI instead of also worrying about engine problems.

In an ideal world we'll have coders create sites that work on any standard layout engine but reality is coders only have so much resources and time to get their site working for the majority of its users.

The web was fine in its inception.

You had text, and everyone could read it (or set a machine to do it for you).

Then someone come up with the most brilliant idea: ``Hey, what if we could bring design into the web?''

Many years have passed and people still bring new band-aids for the design web.

This time is Adaptive/Responsive Web Design.

Let's see how this works out.

Few little tweaks

• Slightly slimmer header + slower/delayed autohide
  • Updated navigation, categories menus
  • Mobile tweaks, show comments/author/reply if screen is >480
  • Comments now show thumbs up, quote and reply, edit/delete appear on hover (if you have access)
  • Few other optimizations

The Promos div is WAY too big. It takes up too much real estate.

I'd suggest removing it completely and only having it there when you are running promos like the giveaway.

The only way to settle this is to make a poll.

Actually no, we take feedback into consideration, but a poll does not decide how the main page is designed. That is up to the site owners and developers.

Actually no, we take feedback into consideration, but a poll does not decide how the main page is designed. That is up to the site owners and developers.

So if a poll returned that 90% of people hated the new design it wouldn't impact future design changes?

That sounds like a Microsoft comment when they tried to enforce no start menu on windows 8, look how well that turned out......... 8.2 *cough* start menu back * cough*

So if a poll returned that 90% of people hated the new design it wouldn't impact future design changes?

That sounds like a Microsoft comment when they tried to enforce no start menu on windows 8, look how well that turned out......... 8.2 *cough* start menu back * cough*

There was a poll: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1226853-do-you-like-the-new-neowin-front-page-design/

The result? A majority is in favour of the new design. The thread had to be closed though because some members were acting highly immature.

There was a poll: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1226853-do-you-like-the-new-neowin-front-page-design/

The result? A majority is in favour of the new design. The thread had to be closed though because some members were acting highly immature.

fair enough, but the poll was only open for a few days and the inconclusive results almost show a heading towards a 50/50 split.

I see 62% out of 697 members voted in favour, as is or with tweaks. 50/50 split? Hardly.

The time on the poll was very short out of the thousands of users only 697 members voted.

The poll should be re-opened and put on the front page so novis users can even vote with at least a week open time to get true data.

There's a poll, and most votes indicate people like the new design. So that's your answer.

Edit: I should really learn to scroll down before replying :p Any way it appears no matter what the poll said, tomcoleman will try his hardest to twist it in his favour  :rolleyes:

The time on the poll was very short out of the thousands of users only 697 members voted.

The poll should be re-opened and put on the front page so novis users can even vote with at least a week open time to get true data.

Not all users who've signed up post here. Plus many more are defunct, banned, etc...

Besides, as was said, a poll isn't going to influence future design changes. You just can't revert back to previous designs, and expect to pull in new traffic.

Eh you're canadian, you can't say anything mean like these other folk :p

I'm Canadian too and I can say plenty of things that are mean, Timan is horribl...sorry I can't do it Timan is the greatest person ever!!!

I'm still getting an error when trying to reach a post from the notification panel.  It's on both mobile and desktop.

{"status":"ok","data":"

\n\nNot that it matters. Something so simple should have been found in testing.[\/quote']"}

Can this at least be acknowledged as an issue, even if it can't be fixed yet?

We've already stated a few times, notifications will be looked at in the future. They always come later. Right now (sadly :() we have some bigger issues backend wise we need to look at first.

I'll say. :p

I'm still getting an error when trying to reach a post from the notification panel.  It's on both mobile and desktop.

{"status":"ok","data":"

\n\nNot that it matters. Something so simple should have been found in testing.[\/quote']"}

Can this at least be acknowledged as an issue, even if it can't be fixed yet?

You Australians!   :rolleyes:  :D