What's that message at the top of the forums? We're upgrading

Marshall, on 24 Aug 2014 - 12:00, said:

Not logged in, can't view the mobile version at all.

So we should be able to see the news page now? I still get "Site update in progress.....". :(

Not liking the comments so far, and i have not seen the new design.... :(

However, tastes differ, and I am really hoping it will be good (and not as bad as some say)

When is ETA for frontpage for general users?

Not liking the comments so far, and i have not seen the new design.... :(

However, tastes differ, and I am really hoping it will be good (and not as bad as some say)

When is ETA for frontpage for general users?

Here's what I see on the front page:

ScreenShot2014-08-24at20.03.32.png

• Like 4

Frank B., on 24 Aug 2014 - 13:04, said:Frank B., on 24 Aug 2014 - 13:04, said:Frank B., on 24 Aug 2014 - 13:04, said:

Not a fan of the round avatar. The images above the Latest Stories block could be slimmed down height-wise a bit too.

Edit: The quote box insists on putting the Frank B. information in it as text.

Edit 2: Every time I save text, should show three times after this edit.

• Like 2

Hey that's pretty nice! Only thing I don't like is that your avatar up on the top is a circle! Works for NSA logo, but I always thought it looked silly for everything else.

Sadly, thats one thing thats not possible.

Sorry for being frank, but nor should it be. People are becoming too obsessed with this notion that there needs to be ways to revert backwards each time something changes. This of course, is just my two cents.

Just for the record, y'all are doing a great job at maintaining and updating the site. The new design feels fresh, modern, clean, and responsive. Neowin is finally joining the modern web. It looks great on my tablet, and on my desktop. I didn't get a chance to look at it on my phone before you took it down again, so I can't wait to see how it looks and feels there.  

• Like 3

Sorry for being frank, but nor should it be. 

Quite agree.

Excessive opinionated people are holding back progression in design (and most other things too). I can guarantee that Stephen got all sorts of hate thrown at him for Neowin V2, But does any one want Version 1 back now? I don't think so (or hope not at least). 

Sorry for being frank, but nor should it be. People are becoming too obsessed with this notion that there needs to be ways to revert backwards each time something changes. This of course, is just my two cents.

Just for the record, y'all are doing a great job at maintaining and updating the site. The new design feels fresh, modern, clean, and responsive. Neowin is finally joining the modern web. It looks great on my tablet, and on my desktop. I didn't get a chance to look at it on my phone before you took it down again, so I can't wait to see how it looks and feels there.  

I have to agree with you on both points. The new design looks good, and I can't wait to see it ported to the forum as well eventually. 

ScreenShot2014-08-24at20.03.32.png

Thats really nice, it may follow some basic design trends thus losing some uniqueness but it's clean and professional... the old design was looking extremely dated and didn't have a professional edge. well done to all involved.

Thanks for posting that image.   However, I do agree, it looks like it was designed as a mobile version of the site.   This will make it possible to read everything on 5" screen perfectly.

For my 24"  monitor and 55" tv, this looks like a seriously wasted space!            

Shrinking it down will make it so much more useful.   

Otherwise, it is as useful, as a fully loaded desktop site on mobile = NOT VERY!

Looks like a hack, between old and new.  Taking the "new and cool" design like many sites employ now, and modifying it to fit the old paradigm of neowin.  Just does not work well together.

Also,   Gradients????   Why, for the love of god, why??  Horrible horrible gradients....

EDIT: I apologize for the design/development team... tastes differ.  I am just expressing my serious dislike of where this is going.

Hopefully, when applied to forums, it will work much smoother, and will allow us to see THE SAME AMOUNT OF CONTENT, as we do now.

I had really hoped you would have made it look like the Windows 8 version of MSN or something similar. I do like what I see, though. Thank you for sharing the image, Frank B.

Sadly, thats one thing thats not possible.

We welcome feedback, constructive criticism. Just hating and saying it sucks, will just make you be ignored at least on the dev front :p.

Things will 100% be tweaked, only the staff/subs have had a play with it, so we did the best we can based on theirs. Now the members have their turn.

Are you serious? If someone says the new design "sucks", you're just going to ignore it?

The reason they don't offer "constructive criticism" is probably because it's not the details they dislike, it the whole new design.

I think a general comments saying the new design is crap, is just as valid as any that merely wants a few things tweaked.

But, it's pretty clear that Neowin decided on this quite some time ago, so just like Microsoft and others, they're not going back to make their users happy.

Usually once a design is agreed on, egos enter the picture, and it's not likely anyone is going to admit that they may have done a sloppy job.

I imagine this thread will continue for a while, and then fade away due to no response from Neowin, or it will be closed by the moderaters.

Again, just my opinion. Not going to change anything.

Saying 'it sucks, change it back' is hardly constructive criticism. 

Just my 2?.

remove the gradients!  use colored squares, or rectangles, ok.  not gradients. that is not ok.

use smaller font,  more content on the front page (smaller boxes too!), so you are getting same amount of information as you were before.  

it is that simple! keep the metro language, just do it right!

(and please do not dismiss desktop users, just to please mobile crowd... there should be a separate mobile version of site)

i think this are fair suggestions, and can easily be implemented, with a few very simple tweaks!

Thanks for posting that image.   However, I do agree, it looks like it was designed as a mobile version of the site.   This will make it possible to read everything on 5" screen perfectly.

For my 24"  monitor and 55" tv, this looks like a seriously wasted space!            

Shrinking it down will make it so much more useful.   

Otherwise, it is as useful, as a fully loaded desktop site on mobile = NOT VERY!

Looks like a hack, between old and new.  Taking the "new and cool" design like many sites employ now, and modifying it to fit the old paradigm of neowin.  Just does not work well together.

Also,   Gradients????   Why, for the love of god, why??  Horrible horrible gradients....

EDIT: I apologize for the design/development team... tastes differ.  I am just expressing my serious dislike of where this is going.

Hopefully, when applied to forums, it will work much smoother, and will allow us to see THE SAME AMOUNT OF CONTENT, as we do now.

On my 23" screen I see the same amount of content on the new design as I did on the old without scrolling.

• Like 1

Are you serious? If someone says the new design "sucks", you're just going to ignore it?

The reason they don't offer "constructive criticism" is probably because it's not the details they dislike, it the whole new design.

I think a general comments saying the new design is crap, is just as valid as any that merely wants a few things tweaked.

But, it's pretty clear that Neowin decided on this quite some time ago, so just like Microsoft and others, they're not going back to make their users happy.

Usually once a design is agreed on, egos enter the picture, and it's not likely anyone is going to admit that they may have done a sloppy job.

I imagine this thread will continue for a while, and then fade away due to no response from Neowin, or it will be closed by the moderaters.

Again, just my opinion. Not going to change anything.

You can't just universally hate a design. There has to be reasons you dislike it; otherwise, it comes across as "I hate it, because I don't like change."

The idea of constructive criticism is that it can be used to construct something better. That's why saying "this sucks" isn't valid. It offers no points to go forward on. Nothing to do. If you expect them to revert to the old design because a few people don't like it, you're crazy. But it's not unreasonable to point out the flaws you see in the hope that it might get fixed.

As far as your Microsoft analogy, I'd point out that the biggest criticism people had of Windows 8 was the lack of a start menu - which they went back on, and are adding back in, because it was a specific problem that they could address.

• Like 2

Every time the site is changed or any policy is changed we have folks that say they hate the site and they are never coming back. Sadly it is just the nature of change.

• Like 3

On my 23" screen I see the same amount of content on the new design as I did on the old without scrolling.

ok, i will wait till i see it on my real screen.