Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Feedback with suggestions instead of negativity should be posted in site & forum issues.

So feedback from assorted topics not in that area (like this one) aren't being taken on board? Pity. :/

So you're comparing a horizontal screenshot on a tablet to a vertical screenshot of an old layout on a phone? Ok...

Just tried it on my old phone (which has a 480x360 display). Still get the same number of articles.

So 600 vs 480 high.

I don't come here for fancy graphics, just good content.

So feedback from assorted topics not in that area (like this one) aren't being taken on board? Pity. :/

No, this thread just is not the place to keep track of everyones feedback. You're better off with your own thread, or reply to one of the others in that forum.

Can't find a "view desktop version" button anywhere, and now the front page completely ignores the button in Chrome mobile to force desktop view. It just refreshes the page, in mobile view again. 

It looks pretty good.  I don't see as much on the screen as I did before.  Also have to scroll down to really see ANYTHING. 

Then there's this: (pictures look overlapped and jumbled.)ScreenShot.png

Okay being a few days in.. There are some annoying parts.

The biggest one for me is the "Related Stories" horizontal bar on the article page. It's between the text of the article, and the comments, and it's HUGE. I mean between the Social Network Links, Previous/Next stories, and the dead space around the Related Stories bar, it's taking up almost my whole Window on a 1920x1080 screen. It's what, ~350px + another 20 or so padding top and bottom ? 

I think it would fit much better if it was moved along the side, under the Trending Stories. I don't like having to scroll so far between the story and the comment, it's wasted space, and really annoying if you are scrolling back up again to check things that might be said in the comments. Other option would be to remove the thumbnails..

I'm fine with the large font, but I do agree that I think the top bar could be made a little thinner.. I'd also like to see the featured stories along the top of the home page shrunk down some.  I'd personally say to about half the current size. It's just so big.

95% of the way there I'd say :)

Can't find a "view desktop version" button anywhere, and now the front page completely ignores the button in Chrome mobile to force desktop view. It just refreshes the page, in mobile view again.

There is no "desktop" and "mobile" views now, it's the same page that adjust itself based on the screen size of the viewing device.

That being said, "desktop view" in browsers should probably fake the screen size reported to content to work around that.

The large elements are by design, folks...

Well duh.  It'd take a real idiot to do that accidentally.

By design doesn't mean GOOD design, it just means they MEANT to make it look that crap.

• Like 3

There is no "desktop" and "mobile" views now, it's the same page that adjust itself based on the screen size of the viewing device.That being said, "desktop view" in browsers should probably fake the screen size reported to content to work around that.

Sadly it doesn't.

Has as been mentioned earlier, things are too big.  Take this for example:

That's the page I get when clicking to read this article.

Having to scroll before I can read anything is a bit ridiculous.

Anyone that thinks UI design like that is acceptable clearly should never be allowed near website design.

• Like 2

Sorry, for trying to defend our crappy design decisions. You should apply for a developer position here and show everyone what you can do. Will be happy to step aside.

• Like 3

This is obnoxious for desktop user. Everything is too big. It might look good on mobile devices, but I don't need to sit back ten feet from my desktop screen to see what's going on.

You're just forcing me to use the RSS feed aren't you neowin? Don't you want traffic from desktop user? Then scale the site down for desktop user please. It doesn't have to look like every other hipster news site now.

Sorry, for trying to defend our crappy design decisions. You should apply for a developer position here and show everyone what you can do. Will be happy to step aside.

I already have a job as a programmer, thanks; an industry I've worked in since 1988, so I know something about UI design thanks.

What you've done here, though it's very pretty and all that, is to sacrifice function for form.  The balance is off and it's irritating your users.

Irritated users become ex-users quite rapidly, especially when they see dismissive posts like yours was.

The biggest 2 problems with the redesign are the "floating" menu bar that reappears when to scroll up, and the massive images used for the spotlight stories.  I'm sorry, but those things are FAR too large. You're taking up 60 to 80% of the viewport on a 1920x1080 screen (if you full screen your browser which I do not), and that is just too much.  You shouldn't be taking up more than 40% for things like this before showing the site content.

It's just too big.  Fix that, and most of the complaints will go away.

I'm gonna close this thread due to the attitudes of some of the members who feel we must obey by their demands.

I REALLY appreciate most of the feedback, we have a list of some of the most popular gripes, and will look into changing those in the future. As with EVERY neowin design, things get tweaked over time. Heck in a few months it could look drastically different.

If you find any bugs, or have some feedback that may not have been mentioned in any of the threads already. Please post in Site & Forum issues.

Thanks.

• Like 3