Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Dude points out that features are missing, and your response is that it "acts like an app"?  Surely, it is less so!

I would assume they're still ironing out bugs.

ahaha, just halfway done to dumbification, now just imagine when neowin forum are to be formated with similar stuff, full with social buttons. 'show more' buttons.

above just a mock-up concept to how the dumbification could go to, just replace the vogons with neowins for more effect.

Huh?

Anpther thing that irks me: Use transparent PNG if the picture has no background(i.e app/software icons)

tMH4NuL.png

I agree with the slide in menu on a touch screen, would prefer just a fixed menu. Love the rest of the design, clean, modern, the comments look great, full width absolutely makes a difference You've come a long way from that pinstripe and windows-logo-watermark background, xp beta site way back in the day. Here's to another ... 13 years :)

Edit: I also suggest fixing the css for the avatar, change this:

.nav-user .toggle-nav-user-menu .nav-user-avatar

to

background-size: 113%; 

Otherwise square logos with dark backgrounds look like they have little half moon white borders around them.

Anpther thing that irks me: Use transparent PNG if the picture has no background(i.e app/software icons)

tMH4NuL.png

That is due to legacy images, you expect them to go through every image and update, from now on, the images will probably be HD and formatted 16:9 or whatever vs the square that they were.

yeah list view should be the default view and more articles should load up initially. I was surprised on how few articles were listed.  It should auto load more pages as you're scrolling down and not annoy us with 'click here for more news' bs.

Nothing stands out and everything looks the same. Also everything takes up more room than before, I now have to scroll down in order to see latest software stuff - whereas it was visible at first glance on previous design.

The gallery, below, has blurry thumbnails in all browsers. In IE the gallery width is 759.92 (significantly smaller, and leaving a large gap on the right) while maximized on 1080.

HMkesZV.png

Don't really like,

1. huge pinned articles - on this 1366x768 screen, it's taken almost half of the browsing space. (screenshot below)
  2. not a fan of two column layout (don't like it on wpcentral, verge and the likes of it)
  3. Auto hide top nav bar is a definite no-no

otherwise feels fresh and nice.

post-62693-0-37699300-1408932273.png

Don't really like,

1. huge pinned articles - on this 1366x768 screen, it's taken almost half of the browsing space. (screenshot below)
  2. not a fan of two column layout (don't like it on wpcentral, verge and the likes of it)
  3. Auto hide top nav bar is a definite no-no

otherwise feels fresh and nice.

Wow, your screenshot demonstrates why the new layout is terrible. You're not fitting a lot of content into one of the most popular screen resolutions out there - in fact I would call it unusable. We're not old - bring the font size/tile size down!

• Like 3

Does anyone else's look messed up on Google Chrome? I'm running the latest release of Chrome and the backgrounds for Latest Stories doesn't look good at all. Internet Explorer works fine, but the developers should definitely test on multiple browsers to confirm.

Yup, same way for me on the latest Chrome. It looks like they didn't add the Webkit specific CSS values in there. Shouldn't be a hard fix, but it probably also looks awful on Safari and Opera.