Seconds thoughts on this budget build

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/superegular/saved/XbzhP6

Just wondering if this is a decent enough build?

I'm used to using my laptop and need a desktop again. Intend on playing games, nothing too hardware consuming, but wouldn't mind being able to play on almost max settings. Play movies, etc. Maybe some Photoshop/Lightroom, Sony Vegas Pro, Ableton.

Basically just looking for second opinions. Maybe save me some money or find something wrong with it. :)

Take it from someone who, while building my first computer, tried to save on money and used AMD processors: don't. Intel's new Haswell (even the i5-4690K, albeit overclocked) beats every AMD processor on the market today in single threaded applications. Since you're using your PC mainly for gaming, movies, and the occasional PS/LR, I'd spend the extra money and go with Intel (might I recommend the i5-4690K?)

Cheers, hope that helped.

Additionally, 16GB memory is probably more than you need. You could cut that down to 8GB DDR3-1600 (which you can then overclock to 2133 or so), and then spend the extra $100 you save there on an Intel chip.

Take it from someone who, while building my first computer, tried to save on money and used AMD processors: don't. Intel's new Haswell (even the i5-4690K, albeit overclocked) beats every AMD processor on the market today in single threaded applications. Since you're using your PC mainly for gaming, movies, and the occasional PS/LR, I'd spend the extra money and go with Intel (might I recommend the i5-4690K?)

Cheers, hope that helped.

Additionally, 16GB memory is probably more than you need. You could cut that down to 8GB DDR3-1600 (which you can then overclock to 2133 or so), and then spend the extra $100 you save there on an Intel chip.

The i5's performance is not worth the price difference if you don't have the money to spend.

While I'm not sure if the 16 GB memory would be required/recommended for his editing scenarios, there's not much point in overclocking it. In any case, I would spend the "extra" money on a CPU cooler (a must if you skip the others) since the stock AMD one gets rather noisy if you don't have the case cooling to compensate, a modular PSU for cable management and improved airflow, and a case with more depth (e.g. Fractal Design R4). All these parts will take you over the budget of the original configuration, but they're worth it long term.

I have an older semi budgeted conscious computer I built a few years ago which I use for graphic design...and although I put 12 gigs memory, an i7 950@ 3.07 ghz in it...and it still works great!

Through the years I found that my weak point is the GTX 460 video card and the speed of my gb hard drives.

Switching to SSD's and an upgraded video card is worth spending the extra money on.

Thanks for the replies/opinions. Appreciate them.

I wouldn't mind going with Intel, but I can never stay under $1,000 when trying to make a configuration. Really trying to stay under that mark, preferably closer to $700-$800 if I can help it. The 16GB does seem like more than I need, at the moment anyways. I'll probably go with 8GB for now, just to get everything in and then buy another 8GB afterwards. I think I may just spend the extra money on a better/larger case too. I like the NZXT H440 as far as looks go, I'm not too good when it comes to how much room, etc. I'll need. So if you's have any other suggestions for a case, (preferably under $120) that'd be very much appreciated.

Also, going with the SSD just for a fast boot/operating system drive. Have enough internals already. Should I go for a 240GB instead of the 120GB?

Thanks again all.

Luc2k, on 25 Aug 2014 - 11:08, said:

The i5's performance is not worth the price difference if you don't have the money to spend.

While I'm not sure if the 16 GB memory would be required/recommended for his editing scenarios, there's not much point in overclocking it. In any case, I would spend the "extra" money on a CPU cooler (a must if you skip the others) since the stock AMD one gets rather noisy if you don't have the case cooling to compensate, a modular PSU for cable management and improved airflow, and a case with more depth (e.g. Fractal Design R4). All these parts will take you over the budget of the original configuration, but they're worth it long term.

Recommending a "quiet" CPU cooler and a modular cable supply for cable management...vs getting a i5 that will smoke any residential desktop application?

Well, I know where my priorities are as well as yours. I'll take a great CPU with the noise and a couple cable ties thanks.

Recommending a "quiet" CPU cooler and a modular cable supply for cable management...vs getting a i5 that will smoke any residential desktop application?

Well, I know where my priorities are as well as yours. I'll take a great CPU with the noise and a couple cable ties thanks.

Or he could go for an even beefier GPU that benefits him even more when it comes to games and some (all?) of the applications mentioned if there's no consideration for other aspects of building a PC.

Also, it's his choice to make, not yours nor mine.

Or he could go for an even beefier GPU that benefits him even more when it comes to games and some (all?) of the applications mentioned if there's no consideration for other aspects of building a PC.

Also, it's his choice to make, not yours nor mine.

A beefier GPU might be bottlenecked by the AMD FX.

A beefier GPU might be bottlenecked by the AMD FX.

It most likely will, but will the raw performance make up for it in scenarios of <60 FPS? While I couldn't find any reviews that cover FX-6300's bottleneck at typical settings (just at minimum settings, from some light googling), I will acknowledge that the i5 gets consistently better minimum FPS than the FX-8350, which is faster (than the FX-6300). Then again I wasn't actually advocating getting a +125$ GPU (price difference between the 2 CPUs).

Personally, I favour a 2/3 price ratio for CPU/GPU, so the i5 4690K would be in with a GPU at 350$, give or take. In fact, an i5 4460 might be better than both although the issues raised in my first post remain. Anyway, I'm sure the debate will help the OP make a more informed decision, whatever that decision may be.

It most likely will, but will the raw performance make up for it in scenarios of <60 FPS? While I couldn't find any reviews that cover FX-6300's bottleneck at typical settings (just at minimum settings, from some light googling), I will acknowledge that the i5 gets consistently better minimum FPS than the FX-8350, which is faster (than the FX-6300). Then again I wasn't actually advocating getting a +125$ GPU (price difference between the 2 CPUs).

Personally, I favour a 2/3 price ratio for CPU/GPU, so the i5 4690K would be in with a GPU at 350$, give or take. In fact, an i5 4460 might be better than both although the issues raised in my first post remain. Anyway, I'm sure the debate will help the OP make a more informed decision, whatever that decision may be.

He could probably get an r9 280X and OC it for $240

In other words, OP: you could save ~$85 from going from 16GB to 8GB memory, then put that towards an i5-4690K (which retails for $230); the motherboard would cost the same, and you can get an r9 280X by sapphire for $240, OC it, and have a MUCH better pc than you have now for literally the same cost.

The problem with buying your components at many different retailers is that you end up paying a lot on shipping. It's worth paying a few more dollars here and there so you minimize the shipping costs.

I have 120GB SSD for my living room HTPC but it's just a movie/games machine, and there aren't that many games on it. It fills up VERY quickly. I personally wouldn't go for less than 250GB for a PC you're going to be using for everything. You mention video/image editing, that would benefit from a larger SSD. Being able to put your most used games on the SSD really helps with loading times too. The Crucial MX100 256GB is the best value right now and it's 120$ at various retailers in Canada.

Your choice of CPU makes sense for video editing or photoshop, less so for video games, although considering the price of the CPU + motherboard it's a solid value all around. Have you considered low-budget Intel CPUs as well? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-5.html The G3258 will perform about as well as the FX-6300 for less money, although it's a dual-core without hyper-threading so will suck in compute heavy workloads. Good idea in general of saving money for a beefier GPU, that will make the most difference.