SteamWorld Dig is better on the Wii U

This isn?t the first rodeo for SteamWorld Dig -- the cute mining adventure game first arrived last year on the 3DS eshop, followed by a Steam release. Now it?s making a comeback to the Wii U this week on August 28, along the way managing to keep all of its charm, graphics, and more.

SteamWorld Dig for the Wii U combines the best of both worlds from the PC and 3DS versions. The game runs beautifully with cute, crystal-clear graphics and also makes excellent use of the map and inventory on the GamePad. Players can also use a Pro controller for a more ?traditional? feel, although the map along with the inventory are squished onto the main screen. Off-TV play on the GamePad is also an option for people who need to give up the TV to someone else, or just prefer a more hands-on (get it?) experience.

KKhZ56o.jpg

After feeling out my gameplay options, I spent most of my time with my map and gem inventory on the GamePad and the full game on the television screen. I found the gameplay to be much easier this way as it allowed for more real estate on the TV and an overall better interface. For example, instead of having to sort through my gems on the TV screen I could just easily discard them by pressing them on the touchpad. The GamePad also offered a more zoomed-in map which made it easy to view and navigate cave entrances, teleporters, and tunnels. Once I got the mineral map upgrade, gems were much easier to spot on the map as well.

Although I enjoyed using the GamePad, it could have benefited from more features. I would have also liked to see weapons and items available on the GamePad for ?quick picking? vs cycling using the triggers. I also wish the map could have been touch-friendly, allowing me to move or zoom in at will -- it would have came in handy towards the end of the game, when I found myself wanting the larger map that displays on the TV.

MA7qIOe.jpg

It?s also worth mentioning that the Wii U port holds a secret that you can?t find in any other edition. If you look hard enough, you?ll find a cute little easter egg hidden in one of the levels. I won?t spoil what it is, but I will say it?s a fun call back to a familiar NES title.

Overall I found SteamWorld Dig for the Wii U to be a super fun experience. If you don?t already have it, I would recommend buying it for this system specifically as it combines the beauty of the PC port with the functionality of the original 3DS release. However, if you already own the game it?s probably not worth the extra cash unless you?re really itching to discover the easter egg. Or if you really just love SteamWorld Dig. In which case, I completely relate.

http://www.destructoid.com/steamworld-dig-is-better-on-the-wii-u-280147.phtml

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Steam Autumn Sale kicks off alongside 2021 Steam Awards nominations
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Just like every year, Valve has now opened the doors to its Steam Autumn Sale, and there is another Steam Awards event attached to it as well. Thousands of games, their DLC, and more are currently discounted on the store, offering PC players a new chance to lighten their wallets.

Front page highlights from the first day include discounts for Back 4 Blood, Cyberpunk 2077, Valheim, Monster Hunter World, Humankind, Hades, and many other franchises. The sales will remain static throughout the event. However, prices may fluctuate in the first few hours due to server issues, continuing the tradition.

On the Steam Awards side, nominations are now available for a wide range of categories, including Game of the Year, VR Game of the Year, Outstanding Visual Style, Most Innovative Gameplay, and others. A little more unorthodox awards like 'Best Game You Suck At' are available this year too. All Steam users are encouraged to vote, and Valve is offering unique Steam profile badges for those who participate.

Going by previous years' Autumn sales, most of the discounts seen in this promotion will be the same ones that will be returning next month in the 2021 Steam Winter Sale, the store's final sale event of the year. While more games will probably be on discount then, if there's a good price available for a specific release during this promotion, there's no harm in grabbing it now.

The 2021 Steam Autumn Sale is live through December 1. Those interested in seeing what games are selected from the Steam Awards nominations will have to wait until the Winter Sale. That is when a final community vote will kick off for picking winners.

• By Asher Madan
      Halo Infinite opening cutscenes leak, contain campaign spoilers
      by Asher Madan

This article contains heavy spoilers about Halo Infinite. Please don't read any further if you don't want to know about the opening moments of the game before release.

Today, the opening scene of Halo Infinite leaked online. The video focuses on the Master Chief as he fails to defeat Atriox, the antagonist initially introduced in Halo Wars 2. The video doesn't provide a lot of context, but Atriox makes quick work of the Master Chief by tossing him into space. This is probably part of a larger cutscene that we'll watch when the Halo Infinite campaign goes live on December 8, 2021.

The leaked footage reminded me a lot of Destiny 2: The Red War, where the Cabal lay siege to The Last City and throw your Guardian off a cliff. However, there's more. Many YouTube channels are uploading snippets from the game and they provide even more tantalizing details about the story. For example, Atriox is apparently dead after defeating Master Chief, but we don't know how because it doesn't seem like Master Chief killed him.

Apart from that, Master Chief's new companion, The Weapon, can't remember what happened to Cortana, so it's up to you to recover her memories. There's also mention of a new Forerunner threat as well as The Prophets from the original Halo trilogy.

Halo Infinite takes place months after United Nations Space Command forces have been defeated on a Halo ring. The Banished are back and more powerful than ever. It's up to you, as the Master Chief, to uncover their plans for the Halo ring and rescue any remaining forces on the installation. We know that they want to make it operational again, but it's unclear to what end because the Halo rings were designed to eradicate all life in the galaxy.

Halo Infinite is an upcoming first-person shooter from 343 Industries. The free-to-play multiplayer beta launched on November 15 and the campaign is scheduled to hit PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S in December. The campaign features an open-world environment this time around, with optional objectives and collectibles.

When the Halo Infinite campaign was shown off last year, a lot of fans were disappointed by the lackluster visuals. The title was delayed by a year and has since seen major improvements based on early previews. The paid campaign will be part of Xbox Game Pass at launch and progress will carry over between consoles and PC through Xbox Play Anywhere. Are you excited for Halo Infinite? What are your thoughts on the campaign so far? Let us know in the comments below.

• By Asher Madan
      Halo Infinite campaign goes gold, launches December 8
      by Asher Madan

Halo Infinite is an upcoming first-person shooter from 343 Industries. The free-to-play multiplayer beta launched on November 15, 2021, and the campaign is scheduled to hit PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S on December 8. The campaign features an open-world environment this time around, with optional objectives and collectibles.

Today, the developer announced that the game has officially gone gold. This means that discs are being printed, but the team will continue to implement bug fixes in the days leading up to launch. However, it's ready to go.

Halo Infinite takes place months after United Nations Space Command forces have been defeated on a Halo ring. The Banished – the main antagonists from Halo Wars 2 – are back and more powerful than ever. It's up to you, as the Master Chief, to uncover their plans for the Halo ring and rescue any remaining forces on the installation.

When the Halo Infinite campaign was shown off last year, a lot of gamers were disappointed by the lackluster visuals. The game was delayed by a year and has since seen major improvements based on early previews. The paid campaign will be part of Xbox Game Pass at launch.

• By Asher Madan
      Halo Infinite features rockstar Craig the Brute Easter egg
      by Asher Madan

When the Halo Infinite campaign was shown off last year, a lot of gamers were disappointed by the lackluster visuals. The build was an early version, but that didn't stop Craig the Brute — one of the alien species you encounter in the Halo franchise — from going viral and becoming a legendary meme. Craig featured a banal expression and lacked a lot of detail. It was clear 343 Industries needed to polish the visuals.

Since then the team has revamped how Brutes look, but that doesn't mean developer 343 Industries has forgotten about Craig. YouTube channel Mint Blitz discovered a poster and album Easter egg that features Craig as a musical genius. You can take a look at it below.

This Craig Easter egg is found in the campaign on top of a high structure. You probably won't see it in the free-to-play multiplayer. The Halo Infinite multiplayer beta is available to everyone right now, with the campaign hitting PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S on December 8, 2021.

You can purchase the campaign for $59.99 on the Microsoft Store, or play it through Xbox Game Pass if you're a subscriber. The title supports Xbox Play Anywhere so you can experience Halo Infinite on PC and Xbox, with your progress carrying over.

• By Asher Madan
      Forza Horizon 5 crosses 10 million players
      by Asher Madan

A few days ago, Microsoft announced that its newly-released open-world racing game, Forza Horizon 5, crossed 4.5 million players at launch. Keep in mind that this includes early-access players who purchased the Premium Edition of the title. Now that the game has been available for a week, we just received an updated figure.

Forza Horizon 5 was played by more than 10 million gamers during its first week. This is the biggest launch in Xbox history according to the company. Forza Horizon 5 is available on Xbox Game Pass and supports Xbox Cloud Gaming as well as Xbox Play Anywhere. It's also the biggest Xbox Game Pass at launch.

Forza Horizon 5 is one of the highest-rated games of 2021. I reviewed it for Neowin and gave the title a score of 9.5, adding "Playground Games is a master of the genre at this point and the latest entry in the acclaimed franchise is one of the best racing games out there."

You can purchase Forza Horizon 5 from the Microsoft Store for $59.99. The game launched on November 9 for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.