My new Haswell-E build

So, it's finally time to upgrade my old 920. Here's what will be here Wednesday:

Intel 5930k

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5

16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800

Corsair AX1200i 1200W PSU

2x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSDs

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

Pioneer 16x Blu-Ray burner

NZXT Phantom 820 case

To that I'll be adding my two Sapphire 290x Vapor-x cards.

Should be pretty sweet.

• Like 2

So, it's finally time to upgrade my old 920. Here's what will be here Wednesday:

Intel 5930k

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

NZXT Phantom 820 case

Should be pretty sweet.

why not 5820k ? $200 for 12 pcie lanes isnt worth it imo 

Intel 5930k

Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

NZXT Phantom 820 case

Should be pretty sweet.

I hope the NH-D15 isn't an issue for you if it makes the 1st pcie x16 slot unusable.

For SLI or Crossfire the extra  lanes allow to run the cards at 16x by 16x and not 16x by 8x if the other slots connected to the CPU are not used not much of problem but thats one reason. Plus 200MHz

• Like 2

PeterUK pretty much answered this for me. I don't want to be limiting my graphics cards to 16x/8x in Crossfire. The difference may be marginal, but I'm not going to spend this kind of money and get hardware that will limit my performance right off the bat.

I hope the NH-D15 isn't an issue for you if it makes the 1st pcie x16 slot unusable.

I don't think I've seen a cooler that blocks any pci-e slots, maybe one or two of the RAM slots though. Either way, if it doesn't fit (and it may not, it is huge), I won't hesitate to return it for something else.

That is one beastly machine, although bound to be somewhat noisy. A lot could be done to reduce the price considerably without significant sacrifice to performance, but looks like you've already ordered, so I won't bother. Enjoy, hopefully that'll last you a while ;)

well since you got everything pretty nice going into it how about a card reader for sd cards or somthing unless you have an external one you want to use

Well, I rarely have to deal with SD cards, but I do have a couple USB adapters for them already.

That is one beastly machine, although bound to be somewhat noisy. A lot could be done to reduce the price considerably without significant sacrifice to performance, but looks like you've already ordered, so I won't bother. Enjoy, hopefully that'll last you a while ;)

Yeah, I kind if splurged :P I've been wanting to upgrade for over a year now so I've been pinching pennies so I could get what I really wanted. Can't wait for it to arrive!

The i7-920 wasn't a bad CPU back in the day! I had the Lynnfield i7-860 (similar in performance to i7-920), and since that build died (Thank you crappy OCZ PSU!), I have upgraded to a i5-4670, which is faster/efficient than the i7 860. Of course I had no reason to upgrade, as the i7 was good enough, but it's nice to have USB3, SATA3, etc. You'll be more than thrilled with that upgrade, and you get DDR4, enjoy! 

The i7-920 wasn't a bad CPU back in the day! I had the Lynnfield i7-860 (similar in performance to i7-920), and since that build died (Thank you crappy OCZ PSU!), I have upgraded to a i5-4670, which is faster/efficient than the i7 860. Of course I had no reason to upgrade, as the i7 was good enough, but it's nice to have USB3, SATA3, etc. You'll be more than thrilled with that upgrade, and you get DDR4, enjoy!

Yeah, I have a couple secondary computers that are running i5 4570s and they're at least as fast as my 920. Plus with uefi and all that good stuff they boot in just seconds compared to the couple minutes it takes my PC to boot and be usable. This build has certainly done well in it's time, but there are so many new technologies that I can't take advantage of like you mentioned. At this point it's really not just about the CPU.

Nice build, but why didn't you get a M.2 SSD instead of the 2 850s?

Well to be honest I haven't been completely impressed with the m.2 SSDs. Perhaps as the technology matures and more choices come out I'll take another look at them.

Hello,

I had an i7-920 up to earlier this year.  Very good system.  I would imagine this new one will excel quite well at whatever tasks you throw at it.

One thing I noticed seemed to be a lack of a hard disk drive.  Will you be recycling one (or more) from your existing build?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

I had an i7-920 up to earlier this year.  Very good system.  I would imagine this new one will excel quite well at whatever tasks you throw at it.

One thing I noticed seemed to be a lack of a hard disk drive.  Will you be recycling one (or more) from your existing build?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Ah yes, I didn't mention that. I currently use 2 1TB drives in RAID 1 for storage and whatever and will be moving those over to the new build as well.

So, quick update. The parts came in yesterday. Put everything together and it was up and running like a champ. Everything just flies with this thing from the moment you push the power button. Very happy with the results so far, but only had a few hours to play with it.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was that my storage RAID 1 moved over with no work on my part. I set my SSDs up in RAID 1, then plugged in the two HDDs that were in my previous system and the array was recognized by the BIOS immediately and worked without any input or configuring. Thought I was going to be copying data over most of the day.

• Like 2