Bought a 4K Monitor!

Looks very cool... what is the viewing angle like? Not had positive experience with TN panels...

Why the heck would anyone run AA on 4K resolution? Isn't AA at this resolution a bit pointless considering the monitor is only 28 inches?

because even at 4K polygons can still be jagged... that's like saying why does Pixar do AA on their render farms when a movie res can be up to 8K?.... (yes I am aware that it's not 100% the same situation because they do ray tracing and all that other stuff, but they still do anti-alias edges to make them appear smoother in their renders)

Cool!  My work laptop (ThinkPad W540) has an almost 3K screen (2880x1620).  It is pretty nice.  I use it along with two external monitors at work for a three monitor setup.  The externals have a much lower resolution than the laptop :)  Getting the scaling right was tricky.  I wanted the 3K to scale but the two externals to remain at 100% - instead Windows 8.1 wanted to scale on all three monitors.  Made a lot of stuff look blurry on the externals (mostly older apps and alternative web browsers).  Went with setting all 3 to 150% DPI.  Not perfect, but does the job.  I need higher resolution externals!

Looks very cool... what is the viewing angle like? Not had positive experience with TN panels...

On this display the only position I've noticed the colours going off are when the monitor is a maybe 1-2 feet above you, then the colours gets darker.

Why the heck would anyone run AA on 4K resolution? Isn't AA at this resolution a bit pointless considering the monitor is only 28 inches?

It's still slightly present in some games on fine lines. 2xAA takes care of this though.

What games run in 4K to justify purchasing?

i don't know, but if i was doing video editing, i would have loved it.   i could the doing video edit in the bottom with 2 x 1080p streams, and still have space to watch news, check email, music player and any other stuff.

did the OP get this for gaming AT 4K?   maybe he wanted to be able to multitast, without running 4 different 1080p monitors...

What games run in 4K to justify purchasing?

Well if you mean native 4K textures I don't know. However settings the res to 4K in games without 4K assets it still looks fantastic.

i don't know, but if i was doing video editing, i would have loved it.   i could the doing video edit in the bottom with 2 x 1080p streams, and still have space to watch news, check email, music player and any other stuff.

did the OP get this for gaming AT 4K?   maybe he wanted to be able to multitast, without running 4 different 1080p monitors...

that use case would work just as well on a 1440 monitor though. Having the video in  small "window" in full res has no inherent benefit when editing. having a 1440 monitor with a IPS or VA panel that shows better colors/contrast would be of better use in that case. 

On this display the only position I've noticed the colours going off are when the monitor is a maybe 1-2 feet above you, then the colours gets darker.

Use a camera im front of the monitor and look at the resulting video, it will show you the true color shift, your brain fools you into not noticing it

that use case would work just as well on a 1440 monitor though. Having the video in  small "window" in full res has no inherent benefit when editing. having a 1440 monitor with a IPS or VA panel that shows better colors/contrast would be of better use in that case. 

yeah,  i forgot that this monitor is not IPS....        i switched to IPS years ago, and never used TN panel since.  so i always forget others use it. 

yeah, video/photography is out of the question then.     i messed up quite a few things when i tried to edit graphics (for fun - making business cards for friends) because i was at work, and only had TN panel

after years on IPS, you forget, just how untrue colors can be on TN... especially if the monitor is at an angle.

Use a camera im front of the monitor and look at the resulting video, it will show you the true color shift, your brain fools you into not noticing it

My old monitor was IPS, I can see the difference for now until I get used to it. I've used some truly terrible TN panels in the past, namely on laptops. My first HDTV was a tn panel. Compared to those it's still a great screen. Colours aren't as vivid as my old Dell Ultrasharp U2711 though. But it's good enough for me.

I can't wait to see someone with a gtx titan showcases their 4k monitor :p

A Titan is nothing special these days, since it came out in early 2013. It would struggle @ 4k in anything above High in the latest games.

The following cards are now faster than the Titan:

• GTX 780 Ti (?470)
  • GTX Titan Black (?700)
  • HD 7990
  • GTX 690 (?770)
  • R9 295X2 (?1000)
  • GTX Titan Z (?2100)

However, PC Gamer have stuck 4x Titans in their machine, which is insane:

http://lpc.pcgamer.com/

A Titan is nothing special these days, since it came out over a year and a half ago.

• GTX 780 Ti (?470)
  • GTX Titan Black (?700)
  • HD 7990
  • GTX 690 (?770)
  • R9 295X2 (?1000)
  • GTX Titan Z (?2100)

The advantage Titans hold is they are more efficient than non-Titans in SLI. They are designed with SLI in mind. 

A Titan is nothing special these days, since it came out in early 2013. It would struggle @ 4k in anything above High in the latest games.

• GTX 780 Ti (?470)
  • GTX Titan Black (?700)
  • HD 7990
  • GTX 690 (?770)
  • R9 295X2 (?1000)
  • GTX Titan Z (?2100)

4x Titan Zs overclocked, will that do?

Did you know you can adjust the global DPI in Windows so everything doesn't look tiny, or do you really want everything to be as small as possible? Hell, I can't stand the default DPI on a 28" even at 1080p. (Even less so on smaller screens of course).

Did you know you can adjust the global DPI in Windows so everything doesn't look tiny, or do you really want everything to be as small as possible? Hell, I can't stand the default DPI on a 28" even at 1080p. (Even less so on smaller screens of course).

That slider makes all the Windows bigger.

You can also change the font in areas of the UI to be bigger. I had to change the font in the right click menu to 12 to even be able to see it.

post-350302-0-71675300-1409689349.jpg