Color & Graphics Help

Question

My extreme lack of ability for all things artistic is beginning to irritate me. So I'm asking for some inputs. This is my personal website for blog, family pics, etc. Nothing ambitious or anything but I don't want people running away from their monitors screaming either. I'm looking for comments, suggestions, rants, whatever on this, uh, design regarding colors, header, etc.

Here it is

If you're feeling froggy, feel free to dive in.

9 answers to this question

OK I changed to some courier and a little monospace for fonts. I was thinking of ditching the whole big pic header and adding in maybe one or two with transparent or color-matching backgrounds instead. What do you think?

As for symmetrical, what exactly do you mean? I know the meaning of the word, but do you mean balancing items left/right? Maybe reworking the nav/link menus?

Sorry for the noob style questions, but I really have no clue on the design aspects.

Everyone, keep the ideas coming!

Edited by FBody24

Like the rollovers they look pretty neat. Few things, are you still going to use that Header I made you a while ago? Cause, no offence but it looks like you could do with it? Please compare...

OS Unix Current Header

and my one I made for you, any suggestions? It is your site and it is obviously upto you but it was just and idea.

JMann :whistle:

EDIT: Sorry the size mucked up the page, so I made a link to it instead. :D

post-31-1071256631.jpg

Thanks for the compliment on the rollovers.

As for the image, yes I agree yours looks much more polished compared to my crude header. The basic reason I tried my own was to try a little scaling of the image size, hence the larger (uglier) version that I did.

What I'm thinking, and maybe you could give some input on this, is something with maybe two smaller images one each aligned right and left. This would allow my header size to scale without the nasty pixelating of a simgle image. Does that make sense?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about

GIMP.

Notice the two smaller images that match the bckground of the header section? What do you think?

I didn't mean in any way to infer that my image was better at all. We can all plainly see how nasty mine is :D