UK PS4 RMA woes (and happy ending)

Read your story after the Destiny post.

Glad you got it sorted in the end. I guess I'm still king of the horror stories around these parts :p

We back on for Destiny?

Yup :)

It's a not for resale copy and I'm happy with the difference I'm now pocketing from sending back the launch KZSF bundle to keep it.

• Like 1

God, I hate returning faulty products. My TV has some dead pixels/lines running through it and I have put off trying to see if I can get it fixed because of the rigmarole the people you have to talk to put you through. 

God, I hate returning faulty products. My TV has some dead pixels/lines running through it and I have put off trying to see if I can get it fixed because of the rigmarole the people you have to talk to put you through. 

Same. Some companies are such a PITA.

Amazon really are amazing for customer service. I remember when Beyond didn't show up for launch even although I pre-ordered it they sent another copy courier for next day and said if the other one shows up from royal mail just keep it (and it did 2 days late).

Tesco seem okay. Normal 28 days complete swap and then they have their own tech support team for the following 12 months for any issues, they'll repair or replace no issues. And my friend who got me the discount says don't worry 9/10 they will just replace, their tech support CS is good.

Sony were great for me years ago with my PS3, this time I was left feeling disgusted at the way I was spoke to, and 1 hour 15 minutes is shocking to wait to speak to them. On a Thursday as well. Not even the weekend. I'm really polite and nice on the phone as well and got made to feel like an idiot repeating myself 10x and being treated like I was technically retarded.

The T.V. I have is about 2 1/2 years old. Statutory consumer rights guarantees 12 months, but we also have legislation that deals with expectations of a products lifespan & reliability. Essentially, if you pay a certain amount for the product your expectations of a longer life is reasonable and companies are expected to honour a replacement or repair.

They pretend they don't understand this (being in a call centre in India helps this because how would an Indian know about Aus consumer law) and try to fob you off.

The T.V. I have is about 2 1/2 years old. Statutory consumer rights guarantees 12 months, but we also have legislation that deals with expectations of a products lifespan & reliability. Essentially, if you pay a certain amount for the product your expectations of a longer life is reasonable and companies are expected to honour a replacement or repair.

They pretend they don't understand this (being in a call centre in India helps this because how would an Indian know about Aus consumer law) and try to fob you off.

It sucks it's usually a lottery draw when you call a call centre. I've had many awesomely helpful and great members of staff and others who are right douchebags given how polite and respectful I always am talking to another human being (I'm just a dick online :P). One reason buying from a large store is sometimes best, but as you know online deals cannot be passed up sometimes :/

This PS4 seems to be slightly quieter than my last, still fairly noisy. I don't think we'll get whisper quiet until the first internal hardware revision where they can shrink the chips and get the head output down - PS4 will probably always run hotter than the XB1 with the internal powerbrick and faster GPU.

My DS4 analog nubs seem to be a bit rougher as well, possibly Sony did redo the molding process after some initial batches wore down.

Got my confirmation email from Amazon this morning that the refund is being processed :)

And done :)

FZ8jYuT.png

Stuff you Sony CS. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

That other topic sparked my brain into remembering to post this. When at Eurogamer I found out from one of the PS staff I'm really friendly with since The Last of Us Game lock-in (and one of the only Scots in the ranks \m/) what caused my issue.

Pulse headset is USB2, PS4 is USB3. They had to patch in support for the USB dongle to work correctly. SOME PS4s for whatever reason didn't patch correctly, and the PS4 was trying to run on USB3 speeds on a USB2 device, hence my headset randomly cutting out every 30 seconds to a minute and reconnecting. Apparently happened to one or two in the office. Easy fix for Sony, but not something the end-user can do sadly. He empathised with me, and we had a laugh. Meeting up with him again at a Driveclub event in East Kilbride next weekend. Awesome guy, big racing fan, hence running a Driveclub event.

He let me have my Last of Us prop I have in my room as well. Love that thing. Hell of a task bringing it home in the car lol. I got a load of PS staff t-shirts from him at Eurogamer and other goodies. The staff always spoil me for appreciating their work at the big events and just chatting to them. Hollie and Leigh Baker from Playstation Access/UK are two awesome people as well, spoke to them quite a bit.

But yeah I would describe my CS phone experience as a nightmare  :rolleyes:

edit: For anyone worried, I was told it was a very small number of PS4s that glitched during update. And to add to that about the PS4 nubs, it was a batch issue, something went wrong with some of the batches when moulding. The material itself is not to blame. It apparently took Sony a while to track down what went wrong, so they stopped selling the coloured controllers for a while to narrow it down. Then once they knew they added a new test to the lines for the moulds. So yes, you can happily have a launch DS4 and never ever have an issue. And I was told any that did crumble are covered for replacement indefinitely if it can be proven from a faulty batch (and not end-user abuse). The tests on the manufacturing line have long been implemented, and it was again a fault in some batches, NOT an issue with the material used. My two controllers from launch KZ bundle I sent back to Amazon were absolutely fine.

• Like 2

LOL Larry I'll hunt you down :p

I'll take a picture today been really busy last few days (and with a meme at stake you know I will!)

• Like 2