SSD info shows "frozen" state. after secure erasing also shows "frozen" - BIOS probl

coolguy80

(Firstly, my query is not about how to secure erase a SSD.)
I have a new 330 SSD which is recently connected to my system aimed to install Debian Linux. SSD firmware version is 300i which appears to be the latest version. I booted gparted livecd and ran hdparm(a Linux storage info utility) and it shows that the drive is in "frozen" state. I secure erased it after power cycling(removing sata power cable for a few seconds and re-plug). But, to my surprise, SSD is again "frozen" on next boot. This is when, I suspect BIOS is locking/freezing SSD somehow. I have a Intel DH67CL1 BIOS updated to latest version.(This board has a option to enable "UEFI" -in case it helps). 
SMART shows SSD is fine. My doubt is, How to bypass BIOS detecting the drive and set lock/freeze? In another forum(can quote source if needed) a member points out below options as the solution, none of them I can think to execute myself without assistance:

BIOS's sometimes set the freeze state of a drive. Once that is set, you are stuck and cannot erase the drive. In order to "un-freeze" the drive you must 'reset' the drive WITHOUT letting the BIOS get involved. Easiest way to do this is to power cycle the drive.

Of course, hot swap must work or the drive won't be detected by the OS, which is why you had to turn on AHCI.

In summary:

If BIOS 'freeze's a drive, your options are:
1 - 'thaw' (un-freeze?) the drive by power cycling JUST THE DRIVE and not the computer.
2 - get a BIOS that doesn't freeze drives.
3 - do not let the BIOS see the drive during bootup.

This is the info shown by hdparm(note the frozen state mentioned):

Security: 
	Master password revision code = 65534
		supported
	not	enabled
	not	locked
		frozen
	not	expired: security count
		supported: enhanced erase
	4min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 
	NAA		: 
	IEEE OUI	: 
	Unique ID	: 
Checksum: correct

xendrome

Did you use some type of secure erase tool to write over your data on the SSD? If so you likely just bricked the drive. SSDs don't write-re-write data the same way a HDD does.

• Like 1
coolguy80

Did you use some type of secure erase tool to write over your data on the SSD? If so you likely just bricked the drive. SSDs don't write-re-write data the same way a HDD does.

This was a new SSD and I've no Data in the SSD. I've used hdparm to secure erase SSD since it was frozen and I can do that again. but, the problem is, BIOS locks/freeze the SSD even if I do that. BIOS sets some password or something which locks down SSD.

glen8

Yes, SSDs are always in a locked state when you reboot.

What is it that you can't do, install linux?

coolguy80

Yes, SSDs are always in a locked state when you reboot.

What is it that you can't do, install linux?

I can install Linux. I am worried about SSD info showing it is "frozen".  Shall I format with a msdos(MBR) partition table and partition the drive, install Linux? is the "frozen" message something to worry? from what I read, it is definitely something wrong with either drive or BIOS.

Freeze lock is just a security feature.  The BIOS tells the drive to lock it's security, this was introduced to stop virus's and other malware erasing your drive or setting a password and then holding you to ransom to get your data back.

"SSD freeze lock" happens  even before installing, that's what is worrying me.

coolguy80

Did you try booting up without the power to the drive plugged in then once everything is up and running plug in the drive and do the format then?

Have a look at the tips/explanation on this page

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic

yes. I've done that once to "unfreeze" the drive. the thing is, without any OS or even partition table, SSD shows "freeze locked". pls see my first post(small font).

coolguy80

I plan to do these steps:

1. Secure erase SSD after power cycling.
  2. boot gparted live cd removing my existing hard drive(hard drive, SSD and DVD drive shares the same power cable from a seasonic psu)
  3. connect SSD sata connectors
  4. if SSD is detected, partition with MBR and install Linux

If I install Linux as mentioned above, will the BIOS security "Freeze/Lock" reappear? Also, this BIOS has a UEFI mode, shall I try to use it since I don't want to install Windows on SSD.

coolguy80

Hi, Can anyone confirm if it is normal for SSD to show frozen state on every boot(even after secure erase). this is where BIOS/UEFI which I believe security freeze lock SSD each time. So please suggest a solution.

goretsky

Hello,

From what I recall of reading a Parted Magic tutorial, it is normal to see the SSD show up as frozen.  You have to suspend the computer and then resume it for it to appear unfrozen so that a Secure Erase can be done. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
Taliseian

I've have used Parted Magic several times on my SSD - occasionally I have found it to be in a "frozen" state.

There are two methods I've used, and both have worked to get it unfrozen.

1) Hibernate, let sit for at least 30sec min, then wake

2) Completely power down for at least 1min, then reboot

Hope this helps....

T

coolguy80

I've have used Parted Magic several times on my SSD - occasionally I have found it to be in a "frozen" state.

There are two methods I've used, and both have worked to get it unfrozen.

1) Hibernate, let sit for at least 30sec min, then wake

2) Completely power down for at least 1min, then reboot

Hope this helps....

T

If I boot gparted/parted magic etc, hdparm shows SSD as frozen. it was once secure erased by power cycling(removing sata power cable and reinsert). my doubt is, is it normal for SSD to show frozen without any partition table/OS/Data? My concerns are listed in post #9

Hello,

From what I recall of reading a Parted Magic tutorial, it is normal to see the SSD show up as frozen.  You have to suspend the computer and then resume it for it to appear unfrozen so that a Secure Erase can be done. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

There is a problem with suspend/hibernate in my system. It used to suspend/hibernate. now, if I run

Sep 13 00:46:23 localhost kernel: [ 1105.077074] Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze, wq_busy=0):

this is attributed to some usb interaction error which I am yet to find a solution: kernel hub daemon thread [khubd] process is not sleeping/freezing. BTW, this is needed for keyboard and mouse as both are usb devices. so, powercycling will be the sole solution.

BUT - in my case, SSD if unfreezed, still shows frozen status owing to BIOS/UEFI which security freeze locks SSD for unknown reason. So, I have to remove SSD and reinsert after BIOS boot so as to prevent freeze locking SSD. this is  my main doubt/

goretsky

Hello,

So, would enabling BIOS Legacy Mode/CSM support solve the problem for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

coolguy80

Hello,

So, would enabling BIOS Legacy Mode/CSM support solve the problem for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No. I have tried both.

coolguy80

I think, my question is not clear. for clarification, I can explain as: Attaching a brand new SSD to my existing computer. consider there are no other hard drives but, this unpartitioned SSD only.
1. I set BIOS(Intel DH67CL1) in UEFI enabled mode and booted with gparted live cd.
2. This CD does not comes with suspend/hibernate support. so, it may mean, I've to download pm-utils from repo into live cd and try suspending? yes, I've tried that and kernel "khubd" thread is preventing suspend from happening.
So, what options exists to unfreeze and install Linux into the new SSD?
If I hotplug SSD into sata port after UEFI/BIOS loads, will that work? is hotplugging ok with SSD's?

coolguy80

I have got the answers. since the hdparm shows that the SSD drive is "not locked" but "frozen". it is the mainboard/motherboard BIOS which is the culprit. this actually means that you can install/format SSD fine and it works but SSD/hard drive encryption will not work. thanks to @Seth for the answers. here:

http://sstahlman.blogspot.in/2014/07/hardware-fde-with-intel-ssd-330-on.html?showComment=1411210716807#c8848167083498438184

Updated wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Hdparm_shows_.22frozen.22_state

Intel provides basic BIOS/UEFI for mainboards and no support at all. how horrible! if the bios supported security freeze lock enable/disable and such advanced options, this problem will not arise.

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By hellowalkman
      Alleged details on Intel's Xe HP "Arctic Sound" leaked, may fail to live up to the hype
      by Sayan Sen

Back at Architecture Day 2020, Intel outlined its roadmap (image above) for its Xe (Gen 12) graphics architecture. Among the several variants of the Xe is Xe HP, which will be used to build next-gen Intel server and data center GPUs. Today a report has surfaced (via igor'sLAB) which claims it has the alleged details of those upcoming server GPUs that Intel is designing.

It was first leaked in February 2020 (via Digital Trends) that going forward, Arctic Sound, as well as other such high-performance GPUs from Intel, will feature a tile-based design, a finding that was later confirmed by the company at its 2020 Architecture Day. Adding to that, we learn today from the new igorLAB's report that each such tile will pack up to 512 graphics execution units (EUs).

For now, at least, we have the alleged details on two such Arctic Sound SKUs, the first being the Arctic Sound 1T (where the 'T' presumably indicates a tile) and Arctic Sound 2T. The 1T allegedly is a single-slot card and has 384 EUs out of the 512 EUs functioning properly, while the dual-slot 2T variant has 480 EUs in each tile working properly. So the 2T has 960 functioning EUs in total.

Image via Digital Trends In December last year, Raja Koduri, the GPU chief at Intel, had announced that his company was already sampling Xe HP to its potential customers. As such, it's possible that the information igorLAB's received today has leaked out from such a source. In his tweet, Koduri had shown the image of a disassembled Xe HP graphics card alongside its forerunner, a Xe LP-based H3C XG310 quad-GPU.

Below is a table detailing the rumored specifications of Arctic Sound alongside 2020's H3C XG310:

H3C XG310 Arctic Sound 1T Arctic Sound 2T Execution Units (EUs) 4x 96 EUs 384 EUs 2x 480 EUs Micro-architecture Xe LP Xe HP Xe HP Memory 4x 8GB LPDDR4-4266 16GB HBM2E (2.8G) 2x 16GB HBM2E (2.8G) PCIe bus width PCIe 3.0 x16 PCIe 4.0 x16 PCIe 4.0 x16 TDP 150W 150W 300W Interestingly, while Intel had mentioned up to a four-tiled Xe HP behemoth, it seems there are only two tiled GPUs in the making so far. In its report, igor'sLAB speculates that Intel may have given up on the bigger designs as the current 2T Arctic Sound allegedly already is a 300W product. And for adding another couple of tiles, the TDP is estimated to reach close to 500W.

So ultimately Arctic Sound may prove to be not much of an upgrade over the current Xe LP-based H3C XG310 offering unless Xe HP gains enormously per TFLOP and per watt over what Xe LP already offers.

Update: Added an image showing Intel's Xe HP one-, two-, and four-tiled designs.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Microsoft Threat and Vulnerability Management now supports Linux
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Threat and Vulnerability Management (TVM) suite allows organizations to improve security configurations of their devices. It offers insights to discover threats, automatically prioritizes issues, and allows companies to remediate vulnerabilities seamlessly. Previously, these capabilities were only available on Windows and macOS, but Microsoft has now extended support to Linux as well.

Currently supported Linux operating systems include RHEL, CentOS, and Ubuntu. Support will be rolling out for Oracle Linux, SUSE, and Debian soon as well.

TVM capabilities can be directly managed from Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Furthermore, its APIs can be called to get access to the underlying dataset which includes vulnerability assessments and software inventory, among other things. This also means that security partners can utilize these APIs to get access to this data and build their own custom solutions.

Microsoft went on to say that:

Apart from general availability of TVM for Linux, the secure configuration assessment component is now also in public preview for macOS and Linux. It was only available on Windows and Windows Server devices previously. You can find out more about it here.

In terms of next steps, Microsoft says that it plans to improve the interoperability of its TVM solution by partnering with other integration and solution providers. Additionally, support for TVM on Android and iOS is also expected "later this summer", although we don't have a firm release date as of yet.

• By indospot
      Intel introduces new 11th-gen H-series processors with up to 8 cores and 5.0Ghz
      by João Carrasqueira

Lining up with Nvidia's launch of new RTX-based laptops, Intel has formally introduced its new Core H-series processors today. As usual, these are 45W processors, and they're different from the H35 series Intel announced in January, though these can be configured down to 35W.

The new H-series processors are based on Intel's SuperFin 10nm process, and they include all the improvements of the Tiger Lake processors that are already available. This includes 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes for a total of up to 44 PCIe lanes (up to 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes), support for Thunderbolt 4 with 40Gbps transfer speeds, and Intel's Iris Xe Graphics with 32 execution units (EUs). There's also support for DDR4-3200 memory, H20 Intel Optane storage, Intel's Killer Wi-Fi 6E cards.

The lineup is headlined by the Intel Core i9-11980HK processor, which is unlocked for overclocking, and it features eight cores and 16 threads. It's also capable of boosting up to 5.0GHz not just on a single core, but on two of them. Its maximum all-core turbo is 4.5GHz. There's also a variant without overclocking support and with slightly lower clock speeds. You can also see that even the lower end of the lineup features at least six cores and 12 threads, and the integrated graphics run at similar speeds across the board.

Intel is touting the performance of its chips across the board, with the Core i9-11980HK beating AMD's Ryzen 9 5900HX across the board in a number of games, while also being a major improvement over the previous generation of Intel processors. Intel also pits its Core i5-11400H against AMD's Ryzen 9 5900HS showcasing comparable performance between its mid-range processor and the red team's higher-end product.

Gallery: Gaming performance on Intel 11th gen H-series
      Over on the creative side, Intel promises up to a 22% improvement over the previous generation. Comparing the Intel Core i9-11980HK to the Ryzen 9 5900HX, Intel also claims up to 24% higher performance, specifically in image editing in Photoshop Elements. It also claims 18% better video editing performance in Adobe After Effects and a 19% improvement in Microsoft Office productivity workflow.

In addition to the mainstream Core processors, Intel also announced new vPro models, as well as the new Xeon W-11000 workstation processors aimed at professionals. These share a lot of the same technologies but support Intel's vPro platform, SIPP, and TXT.

Many laptops are already being announced today with these new processors, with Intel claiming there are over 80 designs with its 11th-generation H-series chips.

• By News Staff
      Pay What You Want for this Complete Linux eBook Bundle
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted offer comes via our Online Courses section of the Neowin Deals store, where for a limited time you can Pay What You Want for the Complete Linux eBook Bundle. The 4-book guide to programming more powerfully and efficiently with Linux.

With the Pay What You Want bundles, you can get something incredible for as little as you want to pay. And if you beat the average price, you’ll receive the fully upgraded bundle! Included in this Pay What You Want deal, are the following courses:

Unlock the following eBooks with a bid over the average price:

Mastering Linux Security & Hardening
      A Comprehensive Guide to Preventing Your Linux System From Getting Compromised

Linux Shell Scripting Cookbook, Third Edition
      Do Amazing Things with the Linux Shell

Mastering Linux Shell Scripting, Second Edition
      Master the Complexities of Bash Shell Scripting

or Pay What You Want for the unlocked eBook:

Mastering Embedded Linux Programming, Second Edition
      Master the Techniques Needed to Build Great, Efficient Embedded Devices On Linux

What's the benefit:
      The bundle represents an overall retail value of $160. Bid the average price or over and you'll take home the entire bundle. Beat the Leader's price and get entered into the epic giveaway! Pay What You Want for this Complete Linux eBook Bundle
      Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other deals on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Edge Beta for Linux, a new Segoe font, and games galore
      by Florin Bodnarescu

A number of things happened in the last seven days, including the arrival of Edge Beta on Linux, the unveiling of a new Segoe font variant, and even a refresh of the Azure logo. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of May 2 - 8.

Edge Beta for Linux

We should begin with a little info regarding Edge, as not much has happened with the browser this week.

For starters, build 92.0.878.0 made its way to the Dev Channel. While this would normally be pretty exciting, Microsoft says the build doesn’t change much, given that it came out just a few days after the previous build. The changes are so minor that the company didn’t even bother publishing its usual post about it.

Moving on to the stable version, namely version 90, folks may be experiencing problems with YouTube playback, namely crashing. This bug has been acknowledged by a Microsoft engineer, who suggested users disable hardware acceleration as a workaround. The same engineer confirmed that the company is working on a fix, but that the issue may be more significant than initially thought.

And since we’re taking a tour through the various Insider channels, it’s worth pointing out that over six months after the Dev channel availability of Edge for Linux, there is now a Beta variant for the open-source OS.

Lastly, Microsoft is now testing everse image search in the Bing sidebar. This does pretty much exactly what it sounds like it would, namely allows you to right-click on an image and search for it on Bing in the sidebar which appears on the right of the Edge browser. As per Reddit user Leopeva64-2 who stumbled upon this, the capability is available in Edge Dev, though we have not seen this on any of our test devices.

A new font

For Insiders in the Dev channel, Microsoft pushed out yet another preview build, 21376, which included the usual array of fixes and, rather interestingly a new Segoe font variant.

While Segoe UI itself has been used as a default system font going all the way back to Windows Vista, a number of variants have been revealed since, including Segoe Script, Segoe Pro, and what Microsoft used for its Modern design icons, Segoe MDL2 Assets.

The new font is called Segoe UI Variable and as the name implies, it’s meant to vary slightly depending on the use case. Segoe UI itself for example was originally designed to be optimal at 9pt sizes, while Segoe UI Variable tweaks the letter weight and tracking depending on the size.

For smaller text, the letters are more tightly tracked, have more weight and are more open, while at display size, text isn’t quite as tightly tracked and has amplified letter terminals. For those not familiar, tracking refers to the overall horizontal spacing between font characters. This is not to be confused with kerning, which refers to the proportional spacing between two individual letters, whereas tracking refers to, say, an entire word.

On the subject of change, we should touch on the fact that Microsoft is set to fully remove Flash from Windows 10 in July. While support for Flash was dropped by Adobe on December 31, 2020, and Microsoft released a manual update to remove it back in October of the same year, it was, as the name implies, not necessarily mandatory. Starting in July, the Redmond giant is set to push out the update to Windows 10 v1809 and above, automagically removing the media plugin.

To that end, the firm is also removing any update blocks for versions 2004 and 20H2 (May 2020 Update, October 2020 Update), allowing folks to freely upgrade to these supported variants. We’re on the verge of a new feature update anyway, so it’s not much of a surprise that Microsoft wants folks on the latest Windows 10 version, if possible.

Last but not least, to the dismay of perhaps three people, Windows 10X is allegedly delayed indefinitely, as Microsoft focuses on Windows 10 proper.

Since its original unveil at the end of 2019 with the dual-screen Surface Neo and Duo, the former device was delayed out of its Holiday 2020 release window, and Windows 10X was repurposed for single-screen devices - in stark contrast to its initial 'dual-screen devices first' approach. For now, it seems that the Redmond firm is putting 10X on the backburner, focusing its resources on the expected Sun Valley UI refresh coming to Windows 10 later this year.

Games galore

In a rather surprising announcement, Microsoft decided to take the wraps off a sizeable selection of titles now supporting FPS Boost. More than quadrupling the number of supported games from 23 to 97, the latest additions include Dying Light, a number of LEGO games, ReCore, and more, with supported framerates from 60 to 120FPS.

There are good news on the Game Pass front as well, with FIFA 21, Red Dead Online, Psychonauts, Outlast 2 and many others either already available or joining the subscription very soon. Additionally, folks in the U.S. also get four months of Spotify Premium with Game Pass Ultimate, though this is available for new users only.

On the revenue share front, Microsoft dropped its cut from 30% to 12% on PC, and was planning to do the same on console, but it will no longer do so. An interesting tidbit about the company’s strategy relates to exactly why it lowered its split. As per the court documents filed in January, this is done “in exchange for the grant of streaming rights to Microsoft.”, in other words, xCloud. It’s not exactly clear whether the proposal was far enough along to even be discussed with console publishers, but for the time being, the revenue split on Xbox remains 30/70.

If you don’t think that’s such a great deal, maybe some of the Deals with Gold will pique your interest, like the discounts for Borderlands 3, Control, PAYDAY 2: Crimewave Edition, and others.

However, if you have no desire to buy more games and already own the latest iteration of Flight Simulator or the spin-off title Minecraft Dungeons, it’s worth checking for updates, as both first-party games have received a number of enhancements and fixes.

Dev channel
      The latest monthly Office Insider build on the Mac has added the ‘Share to Teams’ capability in Outlook, and more. Microsoft has announced its automation tool for security testing AI systems, dubbed Counterfit. Live transcriptions will soon be added for unscheduled and channel meetings in Teams. Microsoft has announced Reading Progress for Teams for education. Whiteboard now has improved Teams integration, support for rich content like images and stickers, and more. The Redmond giant has detailed more education features coming through August. Excel on the web now supports Power BI-connected PivotTables. Microsoft has delivered oxygen, ventilators, and more to support India’s COVID-19 response. New customization options are now available for Reply-all Storm Protection in Microsoft 365. Microsoft customers in the EU will be able to store all their data in the region by 2022. The Redmond firm has warned of a widespread gift card scam targeting organizations. Logging off
      We end the week with a refreshed Azure logo, an interesting Defender bug, and some Surface firmware updates.

Starting with Azure, Microsoft has decided that the logo for its cloud service needed a bit of a Fluent Design facelift, and as such unveiled a brand-new icon. Ditching the angular shape of the old logo, this one is much more reminiscent of say, the Visual Studio icon, though in some cases, it may remind folks of the Adobe or Autodesk logos.

On the flip side, what wasn’t needed was a rather weird Microsoft Defender bug, which ended up creating “thousands” of files in users' boot drives. Some folks saw small files less than 2KB in size, while other users reported multiple GBs of storage being eaten up. A fix is already rolling out, and if you’re on Microsoft Defender engine version 1.1.18100.5, you’ll be bumped up to 1.1.18100.6 following this update.

Finally, for owners of the Surface Pro 4, Studio, Laptop 1,2, and 4, Microsoft has released a slew of firmware updates meant to bring stability and security enhancements.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.