SSD info shows "frozen" state. after secure erasing also shows "frozen" - BIOS probl

coolguy80

(Firstly, my query is not about how to secure erase a SSD.)
I have a new 330 SSD which is recently connected to my system aimed to install Debian Linux. SSD firmware version is 300i which appears to be the latest version. I booted gparted livecd and ran hdparm(a Linux storage info utility) and it shows that the drive is in "frozen" state. I secure erased it after power cycling(removing sata power cable for a few seconds and re-plug). But, to my surprise, SSD is again "frozen" on next boot. This is when, I suspect BIOS is locking/freezing SSD somehow. I have a Intel DH67CL1 BIOS updated to latest version.(This board has a option to enable "UEFI" -in case it helps). 
SMART shows SSD is fine. My doubt is, How to bypass BIOS detecting the drive and set lock/freeze? In another forum(can quote source if needed) a member points out below options as the solution, none of them I can think to execute myself without assistance:

BIOS's sometimes set the freeze state of a drive. Once that is set, you are stuck and cannot erase the drive. In order to "un-freeze" the drive you must 'reset' the drive WITHOUT letting the BIOS get involved. Easiest way to do this is to power cycle the drive.

Of course, hot swap must work or the drive won't be detected by the OS, which is why you had to turn on AHCI.

In summary:

If BIOS 'freeze's a drive, your options are:
1 - 'thaw' (un-freeze?) the drive by power cycling JUST THE DRIVE and not the computer.
2 - get a BIOS that doesn't freeze drives.
3 - do not let the BIOS see the drive during bootup.

This is the info shown by hdparm(note the frozen state mentioned):

Security: 
	Master password revision code = 65534
		supported
	not	enabled
	not	locked
		frozen
	not	expired: security count
		supported: enhanced erase
	4min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 
	NAA		: 
	IEEE OUI	: 
	Unique ID	: 
Checksum: correct

xendrome

Did you use some type of secure erase tool to write over your data on the SSD? If so you likely just bricked the drive. SSDs don't write-re-write data the same way a HDD does.

• Like 1
coolguy80

Did you use some type of secure erase tool to write over your data on the SSD? If so you likely just bricked the drive. SSDs don't write-re-write data the same way a HDD does.

This was a new SSD and I've no Data in the SSD. I've used hdparm to secure erase SSD since it was frozen and I can do that again. but, the problem is, BIOS locks/freeze the SSD even if I do that. BIOS sets some password or something which locks down SSD.

glen8

Yes, SSDs are always in a locked state when you reboot.

What is it that you can't do, install linux?

coolguy80

Yes, SSDs are always in a locked state when you reboot.

What is it that you can't do, install linux?

I can install Linux. I am worried about SSD info showing it is "frozen".  Shall I format with a msdos(MBR) partition table and partition the drive, install Linux? is the "frozen" message something to worry? from what I read, it is definitely something wrong with either drive or BIOS.

Freeze lock is just a security feature.  The BIOS tells the drive to lock it's security, this was introduced to stop virus's and other malware erasing your drive or setting a password and then holding you to ransom to get your data back.

"SSD freeze lock" happens  even before installing, that's what is worrying me.

coolguy80

Did you try booting up without the power to the drive plugged in then once everything is up and running plug in the drive and do the format then?

Have a look at the tips/explanation on this page

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic

yes. I've done that once to "unfreeze" the drive. the thing is, without any OS or even partition table, SSD shows "freeze locked". pls see my first post(small font).

coolguy80

I plan to do these steps:

1. Secure erase SSD after power cycling.
  2. boot gparted live cd removing my existing hard drive(hard drive, SSD and DVD drive shares the same power cable from a seasonic psu)
  3. connect SSD sata connectors
  4. if SSD is detected, partition with MBR and install Linux

If I install Linux as mentioned above, will the BIOS security "Freeze/Lock" reappear? Also, this BIOS has a UEFI mode, shall I try to use it since I don't want to install Windows on SSD.

coolguy80

Hi, Can anyone confirm if it is normal for SSD to show frozen state on every boot(even after secure erase). this is where BIOS/UEFI which I believe security freeze lock SSD each time. So please suggest a solution.

goretsky

Hello,

From what I recall of reading a Parted Magic tutorial, it is normal to see the SSD show up as frozen.  You have to suspend the computer and then resume it for it to appear unfrozen so that a Secure Erase can be done. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
Taliseian

I've have used Parted Magic several times on my SSD - occasionally I have found it to be in a "frozen" state.

There are two methods I've used, and both have worked to get it unfrozen.

1) Hibernate, let sit for at least 30sec min, then wake

2) Completely power down for at least 1min, then reboot

Hope this helps....

T

coolguy80

I've have used Parted Magic several times on my SSD - occasionally I have found it to be in a "frozen" state.

There are two methods I've used, and both have worked to get it unfrozen.

1) Hibernate, let sit for at least 30sec min, then wake

2) Completely power down for at least 1min, then reboot

Hope this helps....

T

If I boot gparted/parted magic etc, hdparm shows SSD as frozen. it was once secure erased by power cycling(removing sata power cable and reinsert). my doubt is, is it normal for SSD to show frozen without any partition table/OS/Data? My concerns are listed in post #9

Hello,

From what I recall of reading a Parted Magic tutorial, it is normal to see the SSD show up as frozen.  You have to suspend the computer and then resume it for it to appear unfrozen so that a Secure Erase can be done. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

There is a problem with suspend/hibernate in my system. It used to suspend/hibernate. now, if I run

Sep 13 00:46:23 localhost kernel: [ 1105.077074] Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze, wq_busy=0):

this is attributed to some usb interaction error which I am yet to find a solution: kernel hub daemon thread [khubd] process is not sleeping/freezing. BTW, this is needed for keyboard and mouse as both are usb devices. so, powercycling will be the sole solution.

BUT - in my case, SSD if unfreezed, still shows frozen status owing to BIOS/UEFI which security freeze locks SSD for unknown reason. So, I have to remove SSD and reinsert after BIOS boot so as to prevent freeze locking SSD. this is  my main doubt/

goretsky

Hello,

So, would enabling BIOS Legacy Mode/CSM support solve the problem for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

coolguy80

Hello,

So, would enabling BIOS Legacy Mode/CSM support solve the problem for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No. I have tried both.

coolguy80

I think, my question is not clear. for clarification, I can explain as: Attaching a brand new SSD to my existing computer. consider there are no other hard drives but, this unpartitioned SSD only.
1. I set BIOS(Intel DH67CL1) in UEFI enabled mode and booted with gparted live cd.
2. This CD does not comes with suspend/hibernate support. so, it may mean, I've to download pm-utils from repo into live cd and try suspending? yes, I've tried that and kernel "khubd" thread is preventing suspend from happening.
So, what options exists to unfreeze and install Linux into the new SSD?
If I hotplug SSD into sata port after UEFI/BIOS loads, will that work? is hotplugging ok with SSD's?

coolguy80

I have got the answers. since the hdparm shows that the SSD drive is "not locked" but "frozen". it is the mainboard/motherboard BIOS which is the culprit. this actually means that you can install/format SSD fine and it works but SSD/hard drive encryption will not work. thanks to @Seth for the answers. here:

http://sstahlman.blogspot.in/2014/07/hardware-fde-with-intel-ssd-330-on.html?showComment=1411210716807#c8848167083498438184

Updated wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Hdparm_shows_.22frozen.22_state

Intel provides basic BIOS/UEFI for mainboards and no support at all. how horrible! if the bios supported security freeze lock enable/disable and such advanced options, this problem will not arise.

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Learn Linux Quickly eBook ($27.99 Value) - free download
      by Steven Parker

Learn over 116 Linux commands to develop the skills you need to become a professional Linux system administrator. Claim your complimentary eBook (worth $27.99) for free, before the offer expires on May 12.

Linux is one of the most sought-after skills in the IT industry, with jobs involving Linux being increasingly in demand. Linux is by far the most popular operating system deployed in both public and private clouds; it is the processing power behind the majority of IoT and embedded devices. Do you use a mobile device that runs on Android? Even Android is a Linux distribution.

This Linux book is a practical guide that lets you explore the power of the Linux command-line interface. Starting with the history of Linux, you'll quickly progress to the Linux filesystem hierarchy and learn a variety of basic Linux commands. You'll then understand how to make use of the extensive Linux documentation and help tools. The book shows you how to manage users and groups and takes you through the process of installing and managing software on Linux systems.

As you advance, you'll discover how you can interact with Linux processes and troubleshoot network problems before learning the art of writing bash scripts and automating administrative tasks with Cron jobs. In addition to this, you'll get to create your own Linux commands and analyze various disk management techniques.

By the end of this book, you'll have gained the Linux skills required to become an efficient Linux system administrator and be able to manage and work productively on Linux systems.

This free offer expires tomorrow, on May 12.

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

Learn Linux Quickly ($27.99 Value) - free download
      Offered by Packt Publishing, view their other free resources. Expires May 12.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here.

Enter giveaways: Polycade Home Arcade | $5K in cash | $10K in Crypto Ivacy VPN - 5 year subscription for just $1 per month NordVPN - 2 year subscription at up to 68% off Private Internet Access VPN - subscriptions at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS - unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Neowin Store for our preferred partners. Subscribe to Neowin - for $14 a year, or $28 a year for Ad-Free experience Disable Sponsored posts · Neowin Deals · Free eBooks · Neowin Store

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By hellowalkman
      Intel's DG2 is reportedly heading to mobile first, launching later this year
      by Sayan Sen

We reported yesterday that Intel's upcoming Xe HPG-based high-end discrete gaming graphics' (codenamed 'DG2') launch "is right around the corner" which we had learned from a tweet by a Game Developer Relations Engineer at the company, Pete Brubaker. However, Pete, it seems, may have been a bit too bullish with the tweet as a report today from igor'sLAB suggests that we are still quite a while away from DG2's launch and any major announcement outside of a few teases here and there aren't going to happen anytime soon.

The report also adds that DG2 will be mobile-first which means we will reportedly see DG2-based discrete graphics cards first in laptops and notebooks in the latter part of Q4 2021 as Intel is allegedly targeting Christmas time for the launch of these. The two lowest SKUs which are SKU5 and SKU4 are purportedly launching first and they will be paired alongside Alder Lake-P processors. Production of SKU5 and 4 will reportedly start in early Q4. Meanwhile, the three top-end SKUs namely, SKU3, SKU2, and SKU1 are planned for launch next year. You can find the rumored specifications of the five DG2-based SKUs here.

Interestingly, this mobile-first approach is also what Intel took with the DG1 when it launched the Iris Xe MAX graphics for notebooks first while the desktop version came much later.

Source: igor'sLAB

• By hellowalkman
      Intel's discrete gaming graphics (DG2) is apparently "right around the corner"
      by Sayan Sen

Intel's upcoming high-end desktop gaming graphics (codenamed DG2) is set to launch sometime this year. In fact, its launch maybe sooner than we think as DG2 is apparently "right around the corner" if a tweet from Pete Brubaker, who is a Game Developer Relations Engineer at the company, is to be believed. Pete has shared a job invitation for the same position on Twitter today and is inviting interested candidates to work on DG2 development.

The DG2 will be based on the company's Xe HPG architecture, something which Intel has been teasing lately with some fun puzzles as well as GPU benchmark runs, and Intel may show more of the DG2 in action at Computex 2021.

From leaks so far, it's known that the company is working on five DG2-based SKUs and the flagship product could offer up to 512EUs and is rumored to offer performance somewhere between an RTX 3080 and the 3070, so we may see it compete with Nvidia's upcoming RTX 3070 Ti or AMD's Radeon RX 6800.

The leaked specifications of the five SKUs are listed below:

Execution Units Memory Capacity Memory Speed SKU1 512 EU 16GB GDDR6 18Gbps SKU2 384 EU N/A N/A SKU3 256 EU N/A N/A SKU4 128 EU N/A N/A SKU5 96 EU 4GB GDDR6 14Gbps Unlike the DG1, which is based on the Xe LP design, and uses Intel's in-house 10nm SuperFin process, Xe HPG will be employing some external process and is rumored to be using TSMC's 7nm lithography.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Here is Linux Advisory Board's ruling on University of Minnesota's "hypocrite commits"
      by Usama Jawad

A couple of weeks ago, we reported that Greg Kroah-Hartman from the Linux kernel development and maintenance team had banned submissions from the University of Minnesota (UMN) due to some questionable patches that they submitted. The issue received a lot of public attention particularly due to the email exchanges between Hartman and the student researchers being made public. The latter argued that the patches come in the form of "a new static analyzer", but Hartman took issue with the fact that the clearly incorrect patches had been submitted to the kernel without any warning.

After much back and forth, the department heads for Computer Science at UMN stated that they would investigate the matter further, and soon after, the student researchers published an apology giving more context to their dubious efforts.

Now, the Linux Technical Advisory Board (TAB) has published its own findings of the matter and its recommendations for the future.

In its detailed audit, the Linux TAB has described the entire timeline of events from the time when "one member of the UMN community" began a research project in August 2020 to intentionally introduce flaws in the Linux kernel with fake identities. A research paper on this endeavor was published in November 2020 after which no patches were submitted. Questionable submissions began again in April 2021 which is when Hartman confronted the researchers and eventually banned them from contributing in the future.

Linux TAB has concluded that the researchers broke several documented rules including submitting patches with false identities. Five of these changes were publicly admitted to being invalid by the researchers in their paper, but the TAB has noted that all incorrect changes were caught or ignored by developers and maintainers, which means that its review process works correctly.

435 commits from the UMN were reviewed in total. A summary of findings can be seen below:

Commits found to be correct: 349 Commits found to be incorrect and in need of fixing: 39 Commits already fixed by later commits: 25 Commits that no longer matter: 12 Commits made before the research group existed: 9 Commits the author asked to have removed: 1 In light of the above, the Linux TAB has recommended that moving forward, UMN must improve the quality of its patches. It has also indicated that it will work with researchers to document best practices for contribution to open source projects, including the Linux kernel. It has suggested that the UMN set up its own internal review team, which should consist of at least one experienced developer who validates changes before they are submitted to the kernel. The Linux TAB has cautioned that:

The Linux TAB has emphasized that the research community and kernel developers and maintainers can work in harmony, as they have done so in the past, but the goal of the community should be to create a robust kernel for production use. If efforts like this benefit only the research community, then conflicts such as this can arise, but they can be avoided if the recommendations of the Linux TAB are followed. You can read the letter in detail here.

• By hellowalkman
      Alleged slides containing all details of Intel's upcoming Tiger Lake-H leak
      by Sayan Sen

Intel announced its 11th-gen mobile chips from the Tiger Lake family earlier this year at CES. However, back then, the company only unveiled a portion of the full Tiger Lake lineup, an overview of which can be seen in one of today's leaked slides (above) from a new report by HD Tecnologia. The report allegedly has all the leaked slides which are seemingly from the launch presentation of Intel's entire Tiger Lake-H lineup unveil next week.

At CES, Intel announced the quad-core Tiger Lake H35 chips that are built for the ultraportable gaming segment and if the image above is to be believed, upcoming Tiger Lake-H chips will further cover a few more device segments, which include:

Halo enthusiast, Thin enthusiast, and Essential A slide providing a general overview of the improvements and features in Tiger Lake-H outlines features such as the new Willow Cove microarchitecture, support for PCIe Gen 4, and more:

Outside of the quad-core H35 chips previously released, the new report today says that more H-series processors with up to 8 cores are also coming. The biggest difference between these and the previously-announced chips is that they all have more than four cores, so you can probably expect more cooling to be required, thus making for larger devices. The H35 lineup is meant for "ultraportable" gaming. Below is a leaked image that lists all the alleged upcoming Tiger Lake-H SKUs:

Interestingly, while the previous-gen flagship Rocket Lake-H CPU, the Core i9-10980HK, was a 45W part, the new Core i9-11980HK Tiger Lake-H chip might offer a TDP of 65W.Intel also mentions a 35W cTDP for the remaining processors, but it's worth keeping in mind that the frequencies listed alongside that TDP are below the base frequencies that are also listed on the table. It's likely that the chips can be configured down to 35W - like how H35 chips can be configured down to 28W - but their default TDP will still be 45W.

There is another slide outlining the various features of the Core i9-11980HK in detail:

Lastly, a gaming performance comparison has also been provided. Curiously, Intel has seemingly compared its upcoming 6 core Tiger Lake-H Core i5-11400H against the flagship 35W octa-core Ryzen 9 5900HS instead of using the higher end, 35W 8-core i9-11900H. This is probably Intel touting its gaming performance as it apparently matches or beats the Ryzen part with fewer cores.

These leaked slides are all denoted with an embargo date of 11th May which is when we expect Tiger Lake-H to launch. Devices sporting these new chips like the Inspiron 16 Plus from Dell or the Galaxy Book Odyssey from Samsung have already been announced.

Source and images: HD Tecnologia