Lucifer (TV)

On 9/16/2016 at 2:37 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

Hhuh?! I missed that! I watched the first three episodes slightly unsober.... need to rewatch.  Alls I remember is the popstar being murdered, was that her?

Aight thanks for the books as well, should be a good read!

Yes - the pop star was her.  His investigating was all about find who ordered her murder.

If you want to re-watch, grab the FOXNOW app from any of the "usual suspects" - including the Windows App Store, Google Play, iTunes, and the Mac App Store.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2016 at 1:42 PM, Zathras5 said:

Not sure what show you watched, but none of that happened on Lucifer.

Actually, ALL of it occurred in the very first episode (which was also the series pilot).  The murdered pop singer at the very beginning was Lucifer's ex; they met, in fact, in Hell - in his old position of warden and running the equivalent of the Parole Board. (That is, in fact, typical of wardens at prisons everywhere; it's not unique to the United States.  If you look at the definition of Hell in Christianity ALL of them speak of Hell as a prison - and prisons need wardens.  When Lucifer specifically is spoken of, he was a fallen angel (NOT a demon) and was cast down to Hell as a punishment basically for blowing off his boss; in fact, some Christian religions do NOT see Satan and Lucifer as the same being.  Prisons need wardens (that is, in fact, a given), so the idea of Lucifer and his fellow Fallen being prison guards and wardens (as the equivalent of a punishment detail) makes a ton of sense - even, if not especially to a LOT of Christians.  If you have ALSO read "For Love of Evil", the idea won't be all that far-fetched, either.)

Second - think of it in human terms; you were in a sucky job that played absolute HECK with your love life (the equivalent has certainly trainwrecked enough marriages; the latest to be victimized is, in fact, the Power Couple of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt).  You quit the sucky job and are willing to go to the trouble of winning back your ex.  Before you can do so, your ex is murdered - and right in front of you.  Big-time anguish (why did she have to die?) followed by being big-time horked off (especially since it was no accident - she WAS, in fact, the intended victim).  Now, being Lucifer, you have certain capabilities (Lucifer can make Absatively Positlutely Sure that Nobody Can Lie (which he uses during the entire investigation - think of military-strength truth serum without having to inject, inhale, or any other methodology) - this capability is inherent in who he is (I can think of many ways it would be useful to a warden, investigator, or member of a Parole Board - which is the job Lucifer gave up).

I just don't remember anything about a girlfriend he met in hell... I get the other stuff. Wasn't it some girl he only met like once. Perhaps I need to rewatch that first episode.

On 9/20/2016 at 3:52 PM, PGHammer said:

Yes - the pop star was her.  His investigating was all about find who ordered her murder.

If you want to re-watch, grab the FOXNOW app from any of the "usual suspects" - including the Windows App Store, Google Play, iTunes, and the Mac App Store.

Little rusty. 

Spoiler

But was the girl (mom) at the end of S2E1 the same woman who died in S1s first episode?

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/9/2016 at 3:18 PM, PGHammer said:

Actually, ALL of it occurred in the very first episode (which was also the series pilot).  The murdered pop singer at the very beginning was Lucifer's ex; they met, in fact, in Hell - in his old position of warden and running the equivalent of the Parole Board. (That is, in fact, typical of wardens at prisons everywhere; it's not unique to the United States.  If you look at the definition of Hell in Christianity ALL of them speak of Hell as a prison - and prisons need wardens.  When Lucifer specifically is spoken of, he was a fallen angel (NOT a demon) and was cast down to Hell as a punishment basically for blowing off his boss; in fact, some Christian religions do NOT see Satan and Lucifer as the same being.  Prisons need wardens (that is, in fact, a given), so the idea of Lucifer and his fellow Fallen being prison guards and wardens (as the equivalent of a punishment detail) makes a ton of sense - even, if not especially to a LOT of Christians.  If you have ALSO read "For Love of Evil", the idea won't be all that far-fetched, either.)

Really? what would be their key differences?

• Like 1

Just got around to seeing the 3rd episode, very interesting, I can't quite tell where they're going to take it for this season but I have a feeling things are going to get very serious.  They really need to start answering a few questions though, before they drag it on too long and people get tired.

1 hour ago, George P said:

Just saw episode 4, very good ep, can't wait to see where it goes with 5.

Yeah, I am really enjoying this show. A lot.   I like the criminal investigation (I like Mentalist, Elementary, Luther, Mentalist, Sherlock and such) so this twist on the genre is really working for me :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2015 at 9:26 PM, spacer said:

I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I don't know who Lucifer is supposed to be. He's The Devil. In other words, he can't possibly be a "good guy". I'm still confused as to how he can be a likable character. Maybe it's like Breaking Bad, and you watch just to see the train-wreck happen? I'll see if I can find it on-demand, and give it a shot.

I think you need to brush up on history of the Lucifer character in mythology/religion.

• Like 2

I'm getting concerned. Chloe/Lauren German keeps looking sick (red swollen eyes) to me. Is that part of the show and her increasing response to being around Lucifer, or is Lauren the actress sick??? I think it is very noticeable and I would think if it was part of the show it would be commented on. Is the actress OK?

• 2 weeks later...

So finally caught up!

Tom Ellis sure does have it in him, he alone fills in for what the series lacks. The ending after uriel, was awesomesauce.  The latest two, feel like "filler" episodes though.

On 9/11/2016 at 4:20 AM, MissKaraB said:

I'm getting concerned. Chloe/Lauren German keeps looking sick (red swollen eyes) to me. Is that part of the show and her increasing response to being around Lucifer, or is Lauren the actress sick??? I think it is very noticeable and I would think if it was part of the show it would be commented on. Is the actress OK?

You know, I didn't notice until now, if you ask me, she's doing something, either crack, MDMA, etc. :rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

So finally caught up!

Tom Ellis sure does have it in him, he alone fills in for what the series lacks. The ending after uriel, was awesomesauce.  The latest two, feel like "filler" episodes though.

You know, I didn't notice until now, if you ask me, she's doing something, either crack, MDMA, etc. :rofl:

MDMA doesnt give you red eyes :p pupils like dustbin lids yes, red eyes no :p mary J on the other hand  :- so ive "heard" ;);) 

on Lucifer, I tried to watch it via amazon and tbh i got bored 3rd episode in, the actor annoys me, his accent is comical, gimme Sleepy Hollow over this any day :D so gutted due to subject matter, its an interest of mine.

And as my learned friend Nefarious has indicated, Lucifer is not Satan, its a common misconception. Yes hes a demon, but not Satan.

Lucifers name as an archangel was Samael/Azreal (dependant on what scripture and religion you read/accept), "when" he fell from grace of the almighty (in various religions actually) he was cast out of heaven by the almighty to the underworld, made to keep the lost souls in Hell as punishment for all eternity (including Satan). Think of him as a bad assed bouncer for the gates of hell (if it was a nightclub, with Satan as the Nightclub owner :P) and your not far wrong. That was Azreals punishment from the almighty.

The inaccurate latin/christian interpretation is Lucifer (meaning morning light or light bearer, a term for the planet Venus also) this is where the mixup is believed to have occurred, with the casting of Samael/Azreal from heaven as an Archangel, it was likened to the morning star which only appears in the early light of morning (the planet venus aka Luciferous) but thats actually an incorrect translation of ancient Hebrew scripture and old testament, Azrael/Samael was his real name (depending on what scriptures and lore you believe), originally a Seraphim, the highest class of angels (gods right hand men, so akin to the Arc-angel Gabriel, Loki & Bartelby etc) who inflict his will & wrath in his name.

And yes, Azrael, Bartleby and Loki  of "Dogma" fame :) they are of the same ilk, all alleged Seraphims. Satan is not and was already in Hell.

Ofc IMO this is all fiction :) but interesting none the less.

There has actually been christian bishops & saints called "lucifer" throughout the ages & the word Lucifer crops up in most religions and a lot of mythology around the world, but its inaccurate for Christianity to use it as a term for Satan.

Edited by Mando
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mando said:

MDMA doesnt give you red eyes :p pupils like dustbin lids yes, red eyes no :p mary J on the other hand  :- so ive "heard" ;);) 

on Lucifer, I tried to watch it via amazon and tbh i got bored 3rd episode in, the actor annoys me, his accent is comical, gimme Sleepy Hollow over this any day :D so gutted due to subject matter, its an interest of mine.

And as my learned friend Nefarious has indicated, Lucifer is not Satan, its a common misconception. Yes hes a demon, but not Satan.

Lucifers name as an archangel was Samael/Azreal (dependant on what scripture and religion you read/accept), "when" he fell from grace of the almighty (in various religions actually) he was cast out of heaven by the almighty to the underworld, made to keep the lost souls in Hell as punishment for all eternity (including Satan). Think of him as a bad assed bouncer for the gates of hell (if it was a nightclub, with Satan as the Nightclub owner :P) and your not far wrong. That was Azreals punishment from the almighty.

The inaccurate latin/christian interpretation is Lucifer (meaning morning light or light bearer, a term for the planet Venus also) this is where the mixup is believed to have occurred, with the casting of Samael/Azreal from heaven as an Archangel, it was likened to the morning star which only appears in the early light of morning (the planet venus aka Luciferous) but thats actually an incorrect translation of ancient Hebrew scripture and old testament, Azrael/Samael was his real name (depending on what scriptures and lore you believe), originally a Seraphim, the highest class of angels (gods right hand men, so akin to the Arc-angel Gabriel, Loki & Bartelby etc) who inflict his will & wrath in his name.

And yes, Azrael, Bartleby and Loki  of "Dogma" fame :) they are of the same ilk, all alleged Seraphims. Satan is not and was already in Hell.

Ofc IMO this is all fiction :) but interesting none the less.

There has actually been christian bishops & saints called "lucifer" throughout the ages & the word Lucifer crops up in most religions and a lot of mythology around the world, but its inaccurate for Christianity to use it as a term for Satan.

Yeah, she's clearly doing something.

Wow, really insightful.

Never cared for christianity or religions for that matter, but these things do make for an interesting read. "The more you know"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Yeah, she's clearly doing something.

Wow, really insightful.

Never cared for christianity or religions for that matter, but these things do make for an interesting read. "The more you know"

im the same mate, im kind of wedged between being agnostic and atheist. And a firm believer in evolution and origin of species, heck how else do you explain the human appendix and our coccyx remnants from our mammalian ancestors.

I do get and appreciate why religions are here, a good way to show believers how to live their life as a good decent human being, I personally try to live by treating others in the same way I expect to be treated back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mando said:

im the same mate, im kind of wedged between being agnostic and atheist.

I do get and appreciate why religions are here, a good way to show believers how to live their life as a good decent human being, I personally try to live by treating others in the same way I expect to be treated back. 

+1

Yeah, what I don't like about abrahamic religions is the general sinner/punishment/repent garbage. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Season 3 is finally here, saw the first episode, solid start.  More questions though, not many answers but I figure that's going to be the norm for the season.  We'll get answers and little clues to things with each episode probably.