Lucifer (TV)

Lucifer is actually the good guy in this pilot. Yes hes evil, yes he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him, yes hes over the top in the way he approaches things, but - its all very entertaining. Lucifer is a likable TV character unlike alot of the dribble that is currently on TV. Religious or not (and it sounds like you are somewhat) - at the end of the day it was a entertaining hour of TV. 

I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I don't know who Lucifer is supposed to be. He's The Devil. In other words, he can't possibly be a "good guy". I'm still confused as to how he can be a likable character. Maybe it's like Breaking Bad, and you watch just to see the train-wreck happen? I'll see if I can find it on-demand, and give it a shot.

Literally lucifer means the morning star, and is associated with the planet Venus.

In early Christian hymns lucifer was used to describe Jesus, John the Baptist and others as light (or enlightenment) bringers. It was also used as a synonym for King Nebuchadnezzar II, the conquorer of Jerusalem, and in the Hebrew Bible as the devil before he fell. 

Lots of meanings, varying especially in popular literature.

I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean I don't know who Lucifer is supposed to be. He's The Devil. In other words, he can't possibly be a "good guy". I'm still confused as to how he can be a likable character. Maybe it's like Breaking Bad, and you watch just to see the train-wreck happen? I'll see if I can find it on-demand, and give it a shot.

Regardless, he is not a 'bad' person in this show. I mean sure, hes the Devil but hes 'vacationing' as the devil and left hell to party it up in LA. If you haven't, I highly suggest watching that trailer I linked for you, and make up your own mind if it appeals to you.

I am not an expert in Christianity but what I remember from (Catholic) school Lucifer is not evil but was cast down to essentially be the keeper of Hell. There are many different stories of the devil though, some he is evil and some not.

Anyway this is a modern interpretation where Lucifer has just had enough of all the ###### of Hell and wants to have some fun. He is a fallen angel after all!

• 5 months later...
On 8/10/2015 at 10:54 PM, spacer said:

So, tell me again why are we supposed to care what happens to Lucifer? He is, quite literally, the worst person of all time. How or why would we be sympathetic to his plight? i.e. what is supposed to keep you coming back to the show?

He's in L.A. by comparison to its citizens he'll come off downright lovable! :p

I'd say it is a challenge to writers to make an otherwise unlikable character sympathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

binged this

Should have been called

CSI: Lucifer...

I watched for the two main leads, awesomesauce actor and actress, but shows premise is pretty much stale. maybe season 2 will move away from police stuff:

Lucifer is distracted by his mother’s escape from hell, as he and Chloe investigate the murder of a stand-in actress. Meanwhile, Chloe’s faith in Lucifer is tested by the new medical examiner, Ella. Also, Amenadiel hopes to rein in Lucifer’s wild side, as they both deal with the absence of Maze.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

binged this

Should have been called

CSI: Lucifer...

I watched for the two main leads, awesomesauce actor and actress, but shows premise is pretty much stale. maybe season 2 will move away from police stuff:

agreed.     However I like stuff like Mentalist & Elementary,  so I don't mind the investigation stuff at all -  it is a win-win for me :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

agreed.     However I like stuff like Mentalist & Elementary, however we clearly know Sherlock is the bestest show,  so I don't mind the investigation stuff at all -  it is a win-win for me :D

FTFY

• Like 2

Here's my nutshell-dump of the first season of "Lucifer" - be warned that there is a spoiler.

First off, Lucifer pulled an Edward VIII (the UK should remember that) and abdicated the throne of Hell - and for the same reason that Edward VIII did the same thing in the UK - the love of a woman.  (Couldn't have her AND his job; the job lost.)

That is why he is in Los Angeles - tracking down the woman he loved to let her know he was out of that bad job.

The pilot sees her killed - nastily - right in front of Lucifer.  Naturally, he goes all-demonic on the trigger demon; however, he's also smart enough to know that said demon is merely a link in a chain.

The entire first season is his trying to find out the motive for his girlfriend's murder.

Said first season is available via the FOXNOW app for app platforms (including Windows 10 - it's in the Windows Store).

14 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

FTFY

Sherlock is great obviously.   It's elementary, that if I like Elementary then I like Sherlock.   :p

Cannot wait to see what this season brings, in terms of Lucifer's mother :o

• Like 1

The second season should cut down on the more basic CSIy nature that season 1 started off with, will there still be the whole working the case bit?  Probably but I think in season 2 the cases will all tie back to Lucifer and so on, not like in season 1 where they really didn't have anything to do except bring the two main characters closer.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 0:25 PM, compl3x said:

He's in L.A. by comparison to its citizens he'll come off downright lovable! :p

I'd say it is a challenge to writers to make an otherwise unlikable character sympathetic.

Actually, no - his JOB sucks (which is why he abdicated); however, I'm thinking more in terms of "Incarnations of Immortality" (the Piers Anthony view of the seven (not five) Incarnations of that pantheon).

Lucifer's primary job is a sucky job for anybody - prison warden. (Lest we forget, even in the Christianity scheme, Hell is primarily a prison.)

Like other prison wardens, Lucifer's OTHER job is to determine who - if anybody - is eligible for eventual parole to Heaven.  (In Hell, there IS no death; a bit of BTDT.)

That's also how (and why) he lost his love interest - she actually qualified for parole to Heaven; however, she chose (HER choice) to be reborn on Earth.

Hence the reason his job REALLY sucked; he had to choose between the job and the girl - the job lost - and lost large.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Actually, no - his JOB sucks (which is why he abdicated); however, I'm thinking more in terms of "Incarnations of Immortality" (the Piers Anthony view of the seven (not five) Incarnations of that pantheon).

Lucifer's primary job is a sucky job for anybody - prison warden. (Lest we forget, even in the Christianity scheme, Hell is primarily a prison.)

Like other prison wardens, Lucifer's OTHER job is to determine who - if anybody - is eligible for eventual parole to Heaven.  (In Hell, there IS no death; a bit of BTDT.)

That's also how (and why) he lost his love interest - she actually qualified for parole to Heaven; however, she chose (HER choice) to be reborn on Earth.

Hence the reason his job REALLY sucked; he had to choose between the job and the girl - the job lost - and lost large.

that would be an awesome plot twist for lucifer series ending.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George P said:

The second season should cut down on the more basic CSIy nature that season 1 started off with, will there still be the whole working the case bit?  Probably but I think in season 2 the cases will all tie back to Lucifer and so on, not like in season 1 where they really didn't have anything to do except bring the two main characters closer.

There are still SEVERAL "burning questions" that need answering, though (Sounds like a pun, but it honestly isn't.)

1.  Is there a connection between Mom's escape and the death of Lucifer's original love interest?

2.  If so, what IS the connection? (If not, what was Mom's reason for escaping, and how does it tie in to his resignation?)

3.  More background on Mom herself beyond what's been shown in the teasers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

that would be an awesome plot twist for lucifer series ending.

Actually, that was the pilot's plot - the series' beginning, in other words.

Look up the seven-book "Incarnations" series - all seven were originally printed by Ballantine/Random House (DEL REY science-fiction/fantasy hardcover imprint - originally under the joint editorship of Lester and Judy-Lynn del Rey - husband and wife, and both award-winning authors in their own right; Anthony got the rights back and republished through exLibris (Random House's self-publishing arm).

My thinking of what the job of Warden of Hell would entail came a combo of "Incarnations" book six (which covers the office of Warden of Hell and "Master of Evil" - though it really isn't) and the first director of what is now the United States Bureau of Prisons to think in terms of rehabilitiation's autobiography ("I Chose Prison" - originally published in Readers' Digest, and republished multiple times in Condensed Book format - I have it in the latter in hardcover).

Piers Anthony is like the late Robert Heinlein - he practically DEMANDS that you assume absolutely nothing; his books WILL make you think. (Be warned, though - once you start thinking, preconceptions start getting thrown out of windows.)

The Piers Anthony Bibliography - http://www.hipiers.com/bibliography.html

The "Incarnations" book on Lucifer is "For Love of Evil" (book six in the series) - all except volume eight of the series (Under a Velvet Cloak) are also available as audio via Recorded Books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

Here's my nutshell-dump of the first season of "Lucifer" - be warned that there is a spoiler.

First off, Lucifer pulled an Edward VIII (the UK should remember that) and abdicated the throne of Hell - and for the same reason that Edward VIII did the same thing in the UK - the love of a woman.  (Couldn't have her AND his job; the job lost.)

That is why he is in Los Angeles - tracking down the woman he loved to let her know he was out of that bad job.

The pilot sees her killed - nastily - right in front of Lucifer.  Naturally, he goes all-demonic on the trigger demon; however, he's also smart enough to know that said demon is merely a link in a chain.

The entire first season is his trying to find out the motive for his girlfriend's murder.

Said first season is available via the FOXNOW app for app platforms (including Windows 10 - it's in the Windows Store).

Not sure what show you watched, but none of that happened on Lucifer.

1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

Actually, that was the pilot's plot - the series' beginning, in other words.

Look up the seven-book "Incarnations" series - all seven were originally printed by Ballantine/Random House (DEL REY science-fiction/fantasy hardcover imprint - originally under the joint editorship of Lester and Judy-Lynn del Rey - husband and wife, and both award-winning authors in their own right; Anthony got the rights back and republished through exLibris (Random House's self-publishing arm).

My thinking of what the job of Warden of Hell would entail came a combo of "Incarnations" book six (which covers the office of Warden of Hell and "Master of Evil" - though it really isn't) and the first director of what is now the United States Bureau of Prisons to think in terms of rehabilitiation's autobiography ("I Chose Prison" - originally published in Readers' Digest, and republished multiple times in Condensed Book format - I have it in the latter in hardcover).

Piers Anthony is like the late Robert Heinlein - he practically DEMANDS that you assume absolutely nothing; his books WILL make you think. (Be warned, though - once you start thinking, preconceptions start getting thrown out of windows.)

The Piers Anthony Bibliography - http://www.hipiers.com/bibliography.html

The "Incarnations" book on Lucifer is "For Love of Evil" (book six in the series) - all except volume eight of the series (Under a Velvet Cloak) are also available as audio via Recorded Books.

Hhuh?! I missed that! I watched the first three episodes slightly unsober.... need to rewatch.  Alls I remember is the popstar being murdered, was that her?

Aight thanks for the books as well, should be a good read!

• Like 1

Just watched first ep of season 2, slow start, episode 2 should get into the really good stuff it looks like.  Though there are some interesting things in ep1 to look out for.