Wait for 4K prices to drop or buy non-4K now?

There are some decent 4k samsungs going on sale for Black Friday. Walmart, best buy and amazon have some in the 1500-2000 range. Skip the curve bs for now... Sure it looks great sitting in your living room but it's not worth the extra $

There are some decent 4k samsungs going on sale for Black Friday. Walmart, best buy and amazon have some in the 1500-2000 range. Skip the curve bs for now... Sure it looks great sitting in your living room but it's not worth the extra $

Curved TVs are lame.... unless you use it for theater room in your home.  If you get like 10 feet wide TV... then the curved TV is best for that depends the seating location.

Curved TVs are not best for 80" or less....   only best for corner to corner in the room depends on room wall width such as 10 feet or so. Maybe you get 200" or larger for Curved TV viewing. Just like you see some curved screens at your local movie theaters...

Resolution is not the only reason to get a 4K TV. If you want quality picture chances are you'll end up in the 4K range these days. I've got Samsung's top-end and it is, naturally, 4K. There's a distinct difference on all your viewing even if it's upscaled from 1080p.

It all depends on how much you enjoy watching TV!

I just bought a 55" lg 4ktv 240hz and came from a a 2011 46" Samsung 3dtv 240hz which already had what i thought was an awesome picture and is now my bedroom tv but the 4k is so much better looking.   It upscales everything which is still not like near as awesome as seeing something ACTUAL 4k which there is next to nothing yet that does that.  The Netflix app thats on the tv has 4k and 3d movies but a very limited selection. Although house of cards is in 4k and it looked GREAT once i upgraded my crappy 6mb dsl and got on 50mb cable.   Also it does progressive 3d so the glasses are cheap and work with the theater ones and man the 3d on this tv has so much better depth than my Samsung had.

Also when i bought this tv i debated on the bigger curved tv but after sitting in a living room of a friend with one it is just not very good for anything other than watching movies in a media room or something i prefer mine.

edit:

Just wanted to add although it may be mostlly pointless right now to have 4k but we are definally moving towards 4k and why spend a grand now on older technology when in a few years it will not be so pointless anymore and now you get to spend a grand more. From what I have seen almost all the 4k tvs had a lot more features than the similar 1080 models and operated MUCH faster.   What sold me on mine was how fast the menus and stuff operated compared to the 1080 240hz model sitting next to it.  4k 240 was 1499 and the 120 was 1299 and the 1080p 240 was 799.

Resolution is not the only reason to get a 4K TV. If you want quality picture chances are you'll end up in the 4K range these days. I've got Samsung's top-end and it is, naturally, 4K. There's a distinct difference on all your viewing even if it's upscaled from 1080p.

It all depends on how much you enjoy watching TV!

Not always, it really depends on how far away from the tv you sit.

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

The cheaper Samsung 4k tvs (8550 series) gets relatively the same quality as the $1000+ cheaper 1080P tv from them (7150 series). There are some cases in which the 7150 wins out but the difference isn't much to say it's clearly better. The downside to the 4K one is the much higher input lag and that in the future you'll most likely have to buy an evolution box from Samsung to get the 4k you want...and well the cost.

If you want amazing picture quality either stick to the high end 1080P LEDs, find a plasma (the samsung F8500 is superbbbb and it's cheaper than both of those) or buy a high end 4K. The cheap 4K ones are just not worth it unless you like telling people you have a 4K tv lol.

So my opinion would be to either get a plasma (Samsung F8500 GO), get a very large 1080P tv (but only if you sit a little further from the tv otherwise it doesn't look as good) or save your money and wait for 4k to drop more in price.

I can see a lot of reasons to argue pro or con for technical justification, however....I was in the market for a new TV anyway. One of my issues was I wanted a larger display. I wanted to move the 55 inch screen. I was fortunate enough to have friends with 55 inch higher end sets to do some comparisons. One of the things that bothered me was when sitting too close to a 55 inch good quality display my eyes would begin to see "gaps" in the led dispersion which is one reason that plasma was a nice option a while back for larger displays.

I struggled with direction but having made my decision have not regretted it since. I don't think I would put myself in a bad financial situation JUST TO GET 4K but for me it wasn't a financial decision but rather one of entertainment enjoyment. I am not a fan of watching TV on PC's, iPad's or god forbid cell phones. At my age, the eyes just don't enjoy it. So I took the dive.

Ironically, this week one of the models I was looking at has dropped considerably in price. The Sony 55" XBR 55X850B is down to $1,599 which is very competitive at this point. The one I went with was the Samsung UDH 4K HU9000 Curved Screen. What I can say is live content, especially sports is incredible and nothing I ever owned looks the same. Yes, my Cable STB is still putting out 1080 or 720P programming but the Samsung uses proprietary upscaling to produce one heck of a result. I don't see the "holes" in the picture quality I see on Standard HD 55 inch screens. The smoothness is much more plasma like in it's richness.  

Again, this is all subjective and my opinion. As I said, I don't regret purchasing it as I did not pull the money out of the grocery budget. ;) I planned and saved for an upgrade.

The Netflix 4K content looks absolutely incredible and more is added weekly. I don't normally post here a lot but saw this thread and thought I would share a users experience.

I can see a lot of reasons to argue pro or con for technical justification, however....I was in the market for a new TV anyway. One of my issues was I wanted a larger display. I wanted to move the 55 inch screen. I was fortunate enough to have friends with 55 inch higher end sets to do some comparisons. One of the things that bothered me was when sitting too close to a 55 inch good quality display my eyes would begin to see "gaps" in the led dispersion which is one reason that plasma was a nice option a while back for larger displays.

Of course. If you sit closer to a larger tv then 4K is the way to go (provided you can afford it).

However if you sit something like 9 feet away from it then you won't see a difference in 1080P or 4K unless your TV is larger than 65-70".

So it's not really subjective just based on how your living/media room is set up =)