Question about home network

Go to solution Solved by sc302,

Question

Mr. Gibs

Hey

I was trying to get my home network set up and my plan is for it to be connected like this:

Cable modem - Xfinity wireless gateway (4 wired ports)

Linksys WRT1900AC - Connected to Port 1 on the gateway (the wireless on the gateway sucks hence why I'm going to use this)

Linksys SE3008 8 port switch - Connected to Port 2 on the gateway and all the remaining home wired ethernet cables would go through this switch.

Would that work or would I have to connect the switch to the linksys wireless router?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

sc302

that should work, but if you want the wireless and wired to be on the same network, disable dhcp on the WRT1900AC, give it a static address of something not in the dhcp range of the xfinity wireless gateway, and do not use the internet/wan port on the WRT1900AC

good to go otherwise.  You could put the WRT1900AC at the edge of good signal strength of the xfinity to get better/more coverage. 

Mr. Gibs

So I would connect the gateway to port 1 on the wrt1900ac instead of the wan port?

sc302

yessir.  then your wireless and wired would be on the same network and would not create a sharing nightmare between wired and wireless devices.

Mr. Gibs

Perfect thank you!