Dissapointed in the Windows 10 Tech preview so far

I did an in-place upgrade on my SP3.

DPI issues around some things like PowerShell console.

Have to tweak that a little.

Running just fine otherwise.  I've submitted feedback through insider forums and through feedback in the OS itself.

I elated to participate this early in the process to ensure we don't get another Windows 8 RTM.

Just a word of advice -- PLEASE submit feedback. Don't just uninstall and wait for what you want to appear. If they don't get metrics on you trying to do things that aren't there they may not put them back.

This release is about FEEDBACK -- not giving anyone of taste of what is to come.

Provide it, and help Microsoft make Windows into what you want it to be.

-Forjo

Just a word of advice -- PLEASE submit feedback. Don't just uninstall and wait for what you want to appear. If they don't get metrics on you trying to do things that aren't there they may not put them back.

This release is about FEEDBACK -- not giving anyone of taste of what is to come.

Provide it, and help Microsoft make Windows into what you want it to be.

-Forjo

Yup. First thing I'll do when I install the Preview is turn the Screen back on! Let MS know that it should remain, even if it isn't the default on stationary computers!

• Like 2

Yup. First thing I'll do when I install the Preview is turn the Screen back on! Let MS know that it should remain, even if it isn't the default on stationary computers!

It was the second thing I did. The first thing was send feedback that I couldn't find it. :)

-Forjo

• Like 2

It was the second thing I did. The first thing was send feedback that I couldn't find it. :)

-Forjo

Nice. I need to make sure I do the same.

There's a difference between 'complaining' and expecting more. I'm running the preview as the primary OS on my main pc and have already submitted feedback many times, the whole point of this preview is to provide MS constructive criticism, its not complaining.

No, it's to preview the technology for developers to work with for their apps. The consumer preview will be more to your liking.

• Like 1

No, it's to preview the technology for developers to work with for their apps. The consumer preview will be more to your liking.

Where's the developer documentation, anyway? What are the new APIs and stuff?

This is NOT a developer preview.  This version is for business execs and IT Managers to make them feel warm of fuzzy about their desktop/mouse/keyboard not being relogated to a second class citizen.

The DEVELOPER version will come in April 2015 at the BUILD conference.  As such it also is NOT representative of how Windows 10 is going to work on TOUCH enabled devices.  There is no point in complaining about how the TOUCH support got worse when it's not the focus of this build.  This preview is all about Desktop/Keyboard/Mouse.

• Like 3

I'm using it as my Main OS on my couch on a computer I spend 70% of my time on. Working great. It's been rock solid so far. I also have my old Windows 7 install on another SSD so all I have to do is things go crazy is pop the other SSD back in.

Do you really think they will possibly entertain that as the default option or take away the choice?  If so, its useless feedback.

There's probably no chance that the Start Screen will be the default on anything other than dedicated tablets and phones. Tablets will auto-switch using the continuum method they showed. But what I hope is that we can lock into a mode similar to what Windows 8 currently does. I LIKE full screen apps even on my dual monitor gaming system.  When I want to be on the desktop, I go there. I don't want to see windowed versions of my full-screen apps.  The first thing I end up doing is minimizing or closing them so I can go to the desktop app I am looking for.

Thus far, Windows 10 is less efficient for me. But I'll reserve judgment until I see how they react to feedback.  As long as we get options that allow us to tailor the experience to our workflow, I won't complain.  For example, I'm really hoping there will be a way to turn off the title bar on modern apps -- or at least force them to full-screen only by default. That thing gets in the way -- especially when using remote control tools like Remote Desktop or TeamViewer.

-Forjo

I, too, re-enabled the Start Screen.

One thing I need to check is to see if the Start Menu shares any layout with the Start Screen. I'd assume they'll share layout once continuum comes online. But I'm curious if it's two independent layouts at the moment.

-Forjo

• Like 2

I know its going to get rapid updates, but I was really expecting a new OS, not Win 8.1 with a new task switcher and start menu. Its literally the same OS underneath. There's been no news of what's changed and nothing new that I can see beyond the slight visual tweaks.

If this really is the last major Windows release, things don't look good.

It's kind of similar to the preview of a movie or tv show. Think of it as a trailer perhaps.   :)

There's probably no chance that the Start Screen will be the default on anything other than dedicated tablets and phones. Tablets will auto-switch using the continuum method they showed. But what I hope is that we can lock into a mode similar to what Windows 8 currently does. I LIKE full screen apps even on my dual monitor gaming system.  When I want to be on the desktop, I go there. I don't want to see windowed versions of my full-screen apps.  The first thing I end up doing is minimizing or closing them so I can go to the desktop app I am looking for.

Thus far, Windows 10 is less efficient for me. But I'll reserve judgment until I see how they react to feedback.  As long as we get options that allow us to tailor the experience to our workflow, I won't complain.  For example, I'm really hoping there will be a way to turn off the title bar on modern apps -- or at least force them to full-screen only by default. That thing gets in the way -- especially when using remote control tools like Remote Desktop or TeamViewer.

I agree with all of this. I'm not expecting the Screen on by default on stationary systems - I just want Microsoft to know that the demand is there for it as an option.

And the titlebar needs to be removable on fullscreen (as opposed to maximized) apps. If you're running in "full-Metro" mode, there's no need for a titlebar, even if you're using a mouse. Barring a disable option, they at least need to kill the annoying automatic dropdown behavior.

There's a difference between 'complaining' and expecting more. I'm running the preview as the primary OS on my main pc and have already submitted feedback many times, the whole point of this preview is to provide MS constructive criticism, its not complaining.

If you were "expecting more" from an alpha preview, then you probably shouldn't be using alpha /beta software. This software is barely in its alpha stage,  so I dont know what more you were expecting, except maybe more eyecandy, which we probablly wont see until 1Qtr of 2015.  I hope you can hold on till then...

When companies release beta access to programs, they should have a Captcha that forces the user to type in the dictionary definition of "beta" and "test platform"

• Like 2

This is a technology preview to show what's new in the system. The developer preview will come around BUILD most likely, and the consumer preview after the new year.

This build is only intended to be stable and upgradable. They were pretty specific about it not being targeted at touch users at release in the keynote.

• Like 2

Let's just hope that we don't need to download a 4GB file for every preview build

I hope we will get new features by downloading updates, not full blown new releases

I only have a 1Mb line

Stoffel, on 02 Oct 2014 - 14:54, said:

Let's just hope that we don't need to download a 4GB file for every preview build

I hope we will get new features by downloading updates, not full blown new releases

I only have a 1Mb line

Don't expect any major updates or patches with this release, the next big release will be CR in jan\feb 2015. Which will probable be a new iso download.

I know its going to get rapid updates, but I was really expecting a new OS, not Win 8.1 with a new task switcher and start menu. Its literally the same OS underneath. There's been no news of what's changed and nothing new that I can see beyond the slight visual tweaks.

If this really is the last major Windows release, things don't look good.

In didn't even bother because I knew exactly what was about to be unleashed as a Public Preview.

Don't expect any major updates or patches with this release, the next big release will be CR in jan\feb 2015. Which will probable be a new iso download.

Oh really?

Taken directly from the Tech Preview documentation:

Download and install the preview only if you

• Don?t mind lots of updates or a UI design that might change significantly over time.

You'll get updates automatically
  • Lots more new features are coming, and you?ll get them automatically. 

Do you have any sources to backup the assertion that we wont get any significant updates to this build? As my source, the only one that matters, says otherwise.  Your name is quite apt :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab4

• Like 3

Ryster, on 02 Oct 2014 - 15:13, said:Ryster, on 02 Oct 2014 - 15:13, said:Ryster, on 02 Oct 2014 - 15:13, said:

Oh really?

Taken directly from the Tech Preview documentation:

Do you have any sources to backup the assertion that we wont get any significant updates to this build? As my source, the only one that matters, says otherwise.  Your name is quite apt :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab4

Ya, still don't expect big updates with this build, until the move to CP. Judging by on how win8 beta was tested and release.

Tablets will auto-switch using the continuum method they showed. But what I hope is that we can lock into a mode similar to what Windows 8 currently does. I LIKE full screen apps even on my dual monitor gaming system.  When I want to be on the desktop, I go there. I don't want to see windowed versions of my full-screen apps.  The first thing I end up doing is minimizing or closing them so I can go to the desktop app I am looking for.

I can see your point but at the same time, these are all steps to remove the 'duality' for regular PC users.  To that end, they may over-react and explicitly not give the option on touch-less devices, preferring to let continuum control it.  Much like the title bar complaint, these are all items that arguably should be under the hood if it works - supporting the few users that think Metro is good with a mouse, less so.  Or maybe it will just be poetic justice for the change crowd.  Change back. ;)

I just don't understand from a developer perspective how they are going to be able to write one app that satisfies both.

post-5317-0-73779100-1412289847.jpg

Ya, still don't expect big updates with this build, until the move to CP. Judging by on how win8 beta was tested and release.

The Windows 8 beta was a totally different animal. Completely different team, and a team that didn't care one iota about outside opinions and feedback.  What you expect is pretty much irrelevant, what MS have said will happen is not.

• Like 2