Before reporting a bad ad on Neowin, read this..

It helps if you can submit a report on the ad, in Chrome, right click on the page and select "Inspect element" then the magnify glass to select the element (the ad) which then shows the code for it. I need this.

At the very least screenshot the ad, it helps if I know what company it is as well.

Don't just say "there's an ad that auto expands/plays video/audio" I can't really report that. I need specifics! :p

If it is a Google ad:

SNAG-0012.png

You can identify Google ads by the AdChoices link that appears over all ads in one of the corners. If an ad is redirecting or popping up anything, then this is a bad ad, Neowin does not allow pop overs/unders or redirecting of advertising at all, period! Alternatively you can report such ads directly to the source https://support.google.com/google-ads/troubleshooter/4578507?hl=en this is a form where you can report bad ads that appear through Google AdSense.

If ads do not have any AdChoices/Google identifiers on them, such as below:

Firebug Lite in Chrome (also available for Firefox)

post-2-0-95184000-1412587406.png

Dev tools in Chrome (opens with F12 key)

post-2-0-63317500-1412587411.png

Please do add a post here if you get bad ads, because I will also report them if I see them, and also help others since most bad ads only appear in certain locations (such as today, for me, in The Netherlands, through Google AdSense).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I understand that Neowin gets their money from adds, however, some of these adds are so intrusive and persistent that they have impacted my reading experience on Neowin.  The latest add was a pop up window showing a comparison with Macbook air and Levono.  I could not find any was to stop the add or to get rid of it.  I have had it with this site.  It was part of my daily routine to check the site, but lately, the adds keep getting more and more intrusive.  Bye all.  I won't be wasting my time on here anymore!

• Like 2

I understand that Neowin gets their money from adds, however, some of these adds are so intrusive and persistent that they have impacted my reading experience on Neowin.  The latest add was a pop up window showing a comparison with Macbook air and Levono.  I could not find any was to stop the add or to get rid of it.  I have had it with this site.  It was part of my daily routine to check the site, but lately, the adds keep getting more and more intrusive.  Bye all.  I won't be wasting my time on here anymore!

I never liked Math either.

Joking aside, it's sad to see you go. You have to understand that Neowin is a free to use website and ads is one way to keep it that way. You could of course become a subscriber and remove them completely. You also get access to a subscriber forum that is.... pretty fun :)

I never liked Math either.

Joking aside, it's sad to see you go. You have to understand that Neowin is a free to use website and ads is one way to keep it that way. You could of course become a subscriber and remove them completely. You also get access to a subscriber forum that is.... pretty fun :)

Or report them, as this thread in fact details how to, and we will get them removed. We need adverts in order to keep the site running, but we absolutely do not want pop ups/overs/unders, or adverts which play audio, or are otherwise inappropriate or obnoxious. Adverts are often geotargeted, so what you see may not be seen by staff, so the only way we know about them, and can take action, is if they are reported to us by members when they see them. When they are reported to us, we report them to the advertising company and ensure they are removed as quickly as possible.

• 2 months later...

There is an unknown ad on the front page that is redirecting my phone (Nexus 5 with android 5.1) to the market place to download farmville ( of all things ).

I seem to get a different ad each time i reload, was able to reproduce four times, but have not since. I would have edited my previous post but the android interface doesn't have that option. Also can't see the source on android so can't pinpoint the exact ad.

Found this in my history if it helps track it down. >http://ads.iconpeak.com/aff_r?offer_id=5088&aff_id=1832&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps%2Fdetails%3Fid%3Dsg.gumi.chainchronicleglobal%26referrer%3Dmat_tracking_id%253D10279f4a988f4e185977653066949e&urlauth=338439033717182824834185074054

I'm getting similar on the GTA article. Can give more info later as I am mobile now. Getting redirected to a couple of different apps.

10 posts in 12 years and you're complaining about the ads? Well, ok. I guess. I reckon you have learned a lot about tech from this site without ever spending a penny or making nary an attempt to participate in the forums. Pretty cool, huh?!

Anyway, farewell and have a good life, brah! :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I don't mind ads, but the redirects ruin the reading experience as you need to go back, back, back and end up at the home page again... Or if I'm listening to music and a video ad automatically pops up, then my listening is ruined as you have go back to the music app to replay your song, WP fault I know but hey, love Neowin and these things will make me go elsewhere for my fix...

Thanks

Adam

• Like 2

Not sure which ad redirects my browser on my phone, but lately I've been getting redirects to apps on the Google Play store.

This is the url that's in the address bar when I switch back: https://143722.api-04.com/serve?action=click&publisher_id=143722&site_id=43754&invoke_id=13560&sub_publisher=473756&publisher_sub1=406797654&publisher_sub2=104

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Razecan you hit F12 and 'inspect' the item, post/screenshot the relevant bits here. Secondly, were you logged in when this happened? If so I need to ask our advertiser for a switch for these elements (which we used to have for the old tags, and were disabled for logged in people).

16 hours ago, Steven P. said:

@Razecan you hit F12 and 'inspect' the item, post/screenshot the relevant bits here. Secondly, were you logged in when this happened? If so I need to ask our advertiser for a switch for these elements (which we used to have for the old tags, and were disabled for logged in people).

Here's the info you requested, and yes I was logged in.  Thanks

02ip6Ac.jpg

• 11 months later...

I got a full page ad a few minutes ago on the home page on the latest version of Chrome for Android (first time visiting it all day). Haven't gotten one of these on neowin.net or any other site before. I don't have remote debugging set up, sorry... 

Screenshot_2016-11-28-18-30-48.png

I will fix this today for logged in members,  it is a 'take over' campaign for desktop and mobile, nothing malicious.. I just don't have the code in the ad spot to bypass for logged in yet.

• Like 1

hehe Steven, it cracks me up the haters of any ads on neowin, how dare you try and pay for the running of this site from others who use the site heavily!

heh you should foot the entire bill yourself, or actually run the site at a personal financial loss  teeeheeee

joking aside put as many ads as you need to mate.

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, Pluto is a Planet said:

Just got redirected as soon as I browsed to neowin.net, see below:

A66B1691-C68B-4B46-AA69-05C79ACE07D2.thumb.png.e421d30c1c1017b0f0cc8d711bab167b.png

I blocked the URL, but this kind of crap really annoys me, who the hell do they think they are redirecting users away from my site?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

I blocked the URL, but this kind of crap really annoys me, who the hell do they think they are redirecting users away from my site?

IKR?

It's almost like they're trying to make some money from web hits.... :shiftyninja:

• Haha 1