Issue with iCloud Restore - only some photos restoring

Hey guys, 

Don't know if anyone has seen this problem before or had any issues with this. 

I have around 1800 photos and videos that I've taken had sent to me on my iPhone. I had activated iCloud backup and looking through my phone I can see that I have 1791 photos and 19 videos stored in iCloud. 

After the release of iOS8, I installed and attempted to restore via iCloud, eveything seemed to work fine but photos from when I first had my phone didn't seem to restore. 

When I view the photos via collections they seem to display the thumbnails, but when selecting the photo to view it there's a tiny white exclamation point in the bottom right corner. I've had a look online but haven't had any luck with the restore (trying multiple times) 

Any ideas, thoughts suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I'm not currently using iCloud to backup iOS, but I think you can check and see what the size of the backup is by going to Settings->iCloud->Storage->Manage Storage. I recommend using iTunes for backup as then you can safe guard your backup by backing it up. Does iCloud let you go back to previous backups or is only one available? Never seemed like a good setup for critical data as a new backup may have a problem that overrides the previous one.

See if the size of the backup was consistent with having photos in it.

Short of calling Apple on the problem, I'm not sure you'll find much in way of solutions here.

Thats a WHOLE LOTTA photos in one spot. Hate to be so critical (as you are already having a bad day), but why didn't you back these photos up to a computer or use OneDrive or DropBox to automatically back them all up for you?

• 8 months later...

Anyone know more about this?

I don't think that's strictly true as the data will only be on iCloud, and not on iTunes.

I would back up your phone to iTunes, and completely restore it with iOS 9 to begin with. See if that flushes something out.

OK, so a bit of googling shows that it's this: 

"icloud photos couldnt download the high resolution copy of the image. Try turning the phone off and on. If that doesn't work make sure you have a good network connection and also try toggling iCloud photos off and on."

Try resetting your network connections, then going onto WiFi and seeing if that works.

Woops I'd  forgotten about this topic!

I had a tried all of the the above but with no luck, so that was toggling the backup on/off, attempting via wifi, resetting phone etc. Backup size on iCloud was about 1GB below the limit. 

I do/did have another copy of the all the photos, phone automatically backs up to OneDrive and a local copy is made. 

Anyway, no longer an issue for me. I saw the light and bought an Android phone ;)

Woops I'd  forgotten about this topic!

I had a tried all of the the above but with no luck, so that was toggling the backup on/off, attempting via wifi, resetting phone etc. Backup size on iCloud was about 1GB below the limit. 

I do/did have another copy of the all the photos, phone automatically backs up to OneDrive and a local copy is made. 

Anyway, no longer an issue for me. I saw the light and bought an Android phone ;)

That would have also solved the problem I guess :laugh:

• Eric locked this topic