Windows 10 Preview (How do you like it?)

Installation:

Installation was fast and error free. Took a little over 11 minutes for me. That alone is awesome. 

5/5

Compatibility:

Only program i've noticed that is incompatible so far is Avast Internet Security. Everything else works just fine.

4.5/5

Features:

The fact that i've installed this and not once have I been taken to that disgusting Metro start screen is reason alone to vote this 5/5. 
Apart from that, its great, cant wait for the consumer stuff to be added in future builds, so im rating it a 4/5 by the features now.

4/5

I'd much rather they add new features little by little so they can get feedback on them as they push out new builds to us.  Like the rumored updated build that is suppose to go out "soon", maybe 9860, they should turn on at least one new feature in that so we can use it while they tweak the others based on feedback they've seen.   

I'd hate for them to hold back on lots of things till January or February and then drop it all on us with a planned Spring/Summer RTM which is 4-6 months away, not much you can do if we're talking about 80% that's still missing that needs to get tested and tweaked.

How do I get rid of the watermark on desktop ?

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

It can be done via the Registry, but you're really not intended to remove it. It obviously won't be there on the final build.

hkey_current_user\control panel\desktop

set paintdesktopversion to 0 and reboot.

mine is already set to 0 (default) and it's showing the watermark

??

mine is already set to 0 (default) and it's showing the watermark

??

Then its probably hard coded into explorer.exe.  You can probably remove it with a hex editor, but thats a lot of work and risk for little pay off.

ate

This isn't a secret. Right now, Windows 10 only has 10% of its planned feature set implemented, according to Tom Warren. You'll get most of that when Microsoft reveals the consumer features later next year.

Agreed, just search for the word "CORTANA" and you will find evidence this feature will definitely be coming. Dig into the Cortana files and look at the text and you will find even more evidence that Windows 10 will have some major changes under the hood.

Time to go out and buy a good microphone if you don't have one already perhaps?

My question is how do I disable all of the ugly, idiotic things they did in Windows 10 so it acts like Windows 8?  I hate everything about Windows 10 so far.

Define the "ugly, idiotic things" you speak of. If you want the Start screen back, it's an option. Other things that Win8 did may or may not be possible in Win10 via various settings.

So far so good.

Install via Hyper v - flawless

CPU and Memory usage on idle, reduced from 8.1 which is nice to see.

UI - love it

Wont be installing on my main machine till RTM however.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using it as my main machine's os, and I like it. I'm still using Classic shell, and I still revert my taskbar to that of xp, but everything works just fine, and I think they are getting it right.

I'm using it as my main machine's os, and I like it. I'm still using Classic shell, and I still revert my taskbar to that of xp, but everything works just fine, and I think they are getting it right.

:|

• Like 3

Had to re-download the ISO as it didn't download properly last time.

So far I like it, still getting use to the minor changes (start menu being back, having to use windows key+c for charm bar).

However my card reader, and my bluetooth don't work. But its driver issues, ralink went mediatek and I guess it forgot about its pre-takeover devices.

Had to re-download the ISO as it didn't download properly last time.

So far I like it, still getting use to the minor changes (start menu being back, having to use windows key+c for charm bar).

However my card reader, and my bluetooth don't work. But its driver issues, ralink went mediatek and I guess it forgot about its pre-takeover devices.

If they have Windows 8 drivers, they should work on 10

If they have Windows 8 drivers, they should work on 10

In theory...the AMD graphics driver worked no problem. But just like in linux ralink's products are a pain in the butt to get working. The installer kept failing. I eventually had to resort to going to device manager and pointing it to the folder of the installer for it to work.

Installed as dual-boot with Win8.1 on a spare HDD on my desktop PC, clean install. (Upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate previously on the drive did not work). Played around with the new Start menu for a bit and 'built' my own version with a few tiles, then installed ClassicShell which gives me all I want with minimum effort on my part, keeping my own Win10 Start menu as an alternative (seldom used and never 'needed'). I find the new 'Search' and 'Task view' buttons on the Taskbar handy and use them regularly.

Upgrade to build 9860 wouldn't work until I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes - so much for Windows Defender. After the Malwarebytes scan and repair the upgrade went through no bother, took a long time (2.7GB file), but faultless.

I use Windows 10 as my everyday system now, taking the precaution of storing important files on my external NAS drive. I have had no problems with peripheral drivers or the application software I have chosen to install.

Just got around to playing with it a bit today and the thing ###### me off to no end. It took me 2 tries to get installed. Both times it hung when it came time to reboot. Had to do a reset of the VM. Next up, it just hung and hung after the screen with the Windows logo. I was going to just shut it down and forget about Windows 10 for now but decided to let it sit on a plain black screen. Eventually, I saw it had reached the first boot stage. Once it reached the desktop, it had no sound or connection due to MS not including the proper drivers so had to shut down the VM and change the hardware (something I have never had to do before). Once up and running correctly, my frustrations grew as I discovered that the idiots at MS had removed the run command that has been part of Windows since 1995! Next up, I installed Google Chrome and told the installer to go ahead and set itself as the default browser. Now I don't know if this is MS's fault or something that Google added but even after already having told Chrome to be the default, I was asked again by what appeared again to something from Windows. I also got a little rectangle on my screen informing me what I had just done...something along the lines of "You have a new way of accessing websites". No shat! I'm not a moron. I know that already you stupid thing!

Needless to say, I'm not impressed.

It get's worse. I fired it up again because I wanted to confirm a bug in VLC across different OS's and this is how slow it was in extracting the VLC zip file...

windows10.png

I then tried it on another VM running XP with 1/4 the memory and 1/4 the number of CPU's and it did it in less than a minute.

^^ Turns out the vdi was fragmented into close to 90,000 pieces so that more than likely explains the reason for the slow zip extraction.

CONSOLE_Contig.png

I'm glad they brought Quick Launch (now called Links) back by just right clicking the taskbar, etc. I prefer it way more than pinning.

^^ Turns out

I'm glad they brought Quick Launch (now called Links) back by just right clicking the taskbar, etc. I prefer it way more than pinning.

The Link toolbar is in Windows 8.1...

Once up and running correctly, my frustrations grew as I discovered that the idiots at MS had removed the run command that has been part of Windows since 1995!

You mean this?M9sN1DS.png

LW61AFL.png

I've installed it on an old laptop and what is really missing is Microsoft replacing all the icons with a set that fits in with the new look and feel. This is where Microsoft really lets themselves down when compared to Apple - fit and finish, attention to detail like making sure there is a common look and feel through the operating system. I'm hoping that we're only seeing the features with the user changes occurring some time in the next 12 months because if Windows 10 remains like this with the mishmash of Windows 8.x/7/Vista and 9x icons thrown in for good luck then it appears that Microsoft still hasn't 'gotten it'.