How to setup webhosting on a router running Tomato (Shibby)?

Go to solution Solved by BudMan,

Question

Class

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a router (ASUS RT-N66U). Have Tomato firmware running. The question is, can I set it up to run websites? (PHP, HTML, JS, etc.) For example can it host wordpress?

If yes, then comes the more difficult part, how can I set it up to do so? Where to start?

I guess I will definitely need SSH directly to into the router, so I will set that one up. Then I have command line acces to Tomato.

Thanks in advance,

14 answers to this question

+BudMan

^ Agreed!!! hosting web sites or pretty much any services off your home connection is pointless and more costly no matter how little elec the device uses.

Only when its something that is local to your site and for personal use does even hosting http locally make sense - for example, I vpn in and access my cacti and syslog stuff via a web site - can view my house electric use off a webpage hosted on one of my VMs, etc.  But my family sharing of videos and pictures is hosted off site where there is actual bandwidth to make it useable for family members to view vs my limited upload pipe.

To be honest you can prob even debate cost of doing stuff like transmission..  I run that off a seed box that cost less than $14 USD a month..  I get speeds that make a home connection look like freaking dialup!  And I have 50/10 home connection which isn't all that shabby in this part of the world.  And now I don't have to worry background services sucking up my bandwidth when I am wanting to browse neowin ;)

Other then local file/machine access via a vpn - I really see no value to hosting anything to internet off a home connection..

• Like 2
+LogicalApex

You should host the site on a server machine or a web host. I am not sure Tomato will run Wordpress, but even if it could it wouldn't be a good idea. Your router has very weak hardware and can't handle doing both. Not to mention the security issues it would create since a wordpress vulnerability could lead to your router being compromised.

Hosting is dirt cheap if you go that route. Otherwise, setup a server machine to host it and forward the ports.

+BudMan

That would be a really bad idea actually - even if possible.. Your router firewall should be just that a router/firewall - not every other service you need..  Especially if open to the public.

Tomato is very limited in scope of what it does actually.. it does it well - but its not as full featured as say dd-wrt -- here is how you would do it on dd-wrt, most anything that will run tomato would run dd-wrt, so if this is what you want I would go that route

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WEB_server

I still would suggest hosting your site on the actual public internet, or for that matter pick up a raspberry pi of you want something small to host a small use site for your local use other than your router/firewall ;)

edit: wordpress sites can be hosted for free here https://wordpress.com/

Class

I see, so it's not really a good idea. Well, then I'm not gonna pursue this. But this is a 600Mhz chip really to weak to run all this? Because I've actually have an old Intel P3 (800Mhz) PC actings as server, but i'm not running it, because it eats a lot of electricity. Considering, "it could" I was thinking to cutting that old metal for this all-in-one solution, this was the original idea.

(1) Also, since security is a factor: is the build-in Transmission on Tomato also not recommended to use? Like to seed files and stuff?

(2) Also, I've seen a setup of "OwnCloud" on this system, is that also not recommended then?

+BudMan

To be honest no - unless it was not being used as your edge router/firewall.  While its handy and convenient to pile such services on one device.  Putting all these types of services on your edge firewall/router lowers the security of that device.  More things that could have exploits, etc..

If want to run stuff like transmission and webservices/nas/etc on a low power device - then do so.  Raspberry pi for example is like $35, you can pick up a pogoplug for like $20 that can run arch linux, etc.  Or sure pick up a a router that supports 3rd party firmware and use it as your AP and switch that also runs your website, etc. at 15W..

But putting it on your actual edge device - no not really good idea from security standpoint.  If the article I linked too on how to run web services on dd-wrt states "Please remember that opening WEB server to the world could be potential security problem."

game_over

Every possible option available to host it yourself is more expensive than just buying a ?2.50 ($4) web hosting account and running it off that.

• Like 1
Dale-Kurt Murray

Take a look at the Merlin firmware, I also own the Dark Knight router and have had good result using that firmware upgrade. All the recommendation you have gotten so far are sound. If you are planning on doing any hosting of your wordpress site, consider Digital Ocean, they offer reasonable hosting in the cloud.

• Like 1
Class

^ Agreed!!! hosting web sites or pretty much any services off your home connection is pointless and more costly no matter how little elec the device uses.

Only when its something that is local to your site and for personal use does even hosting http locally make sense - for example, I vpn in and access my cacti and syslog stuff via a web site - can view my house electric use off a webpage hosted on one of my VMs, etc.  But my family sharing of videos and pictures is hosted off site where there is actual bandwidth to make it useable for family members to view vs my limited upload pipe.

To be honest you can prob even debate cost of doing stuff like transmission..  I run that off a seed box that cost less than $14 USD a month..  I get speeds that make a home connection look like freaking dialup!  And I have 50/10 home connection which isn't all that shabby in this part of the world.  And now I don't have to worry background services sucking up my bandwidth when I am wanting to browse neowin ;)

Other then local file/machine access via a vpn - I really see no value to hosting anything to internet off a home connection..

Well, Wordpress was just a side idea. Owncloud and VPN tunnel will be the other things that I will soon need. So for now, I think I will close down this topic and move on to the others. :)

Thanks a lot everybody.

+BudMan

Well a vpn nto your network makes lots of sense -- even owncloud as a way to access your files remotely (via the vpn) great -- if you want tlet your devices sync to your owncloud even sure. 

But to be honest I would prob host the owncloud actually in the cloud ;)  Now it not only will your speeds be faster!!  How much is your home upload speed?  Pretty much any webhost will allow you to run owncloud, my seedbox does even.  Or any vps for sure - shoot there is packages just for owncloud now, etc

Class

Well a vpn nto your network makes lots of sense -- even owncloud as a way to access your files remotely (via the vpn) great -- if you want tlet your devices sync to your owncloud even sure. 

But to be honest I would prob host the owncloud actually in the cloud ;)  Now it not only will your speeds be faster!!  How much is your home upload speed?  Pretty much any webhost will allow you to run owncloud, my seedbox does even.  Or any vps for sure - shoot there is packages just for owncloud now, etc

Well, there is a side story also, because I'm soon moving to a country where it's not allowed to P2P. So that's why. I seriously don't like if some1 pisses into my cup. And to picture the how I imagined this, is that this router will be my gateway. That's why I need an SSD (which I asked in another topic, which is the best for the money currently), which I will connect to this and will download stuff through this. SSD will temporarily store the data and later I will suck it to my PC via a VPN tunnel.

+BudMan

And what country is that? the US??  hehehehe

They have seedboxes in lots of different countries - mine is in NL.

Class

And what country is that? the US??  hehehehe

They have seedboxes in lots of different countries - mine is in NL.

What's a seedboxes? That's no good. It's Germany. They prolly bill me if I touch my seedbox. I need to get the stuff totally encrypted. Otherwise the internet provider will bill you the stuff.

+Frank B.

What's a seedboxes? That's no good. It's Germany. They prolly bill me if I touch my seedbox. I need to get the stuff totally encrypted. Otherwise the internet provider will bill you the stuff.

You're being overly paranoid. You can use P2P in Germany, as long as you're careful.

That said paying for whatever you need is the only good karma option. :shifty:

• Like 1
+BudMan

A seedbox is just a vps, shared hosting, etc that is geared towards p2p.  Web interfaces into choice of client for example, openvpn connection couple of clicks, file manager gui, etc.  And yeah all traffic between you and it should be encrypted I agree ;)  Or whats the point..

• Like 1