.gifv embed support

Some of you might have read a few days ago, Imgur are now pushing the GIFV format to replace GIFs: http://imgur.com/blog/2014/10/09/introducing-gifv/

All GIFs uploaded to Imgur are now converted into GIFVs. And seeing as Imgur's currently the 47th most-visited site in the world, that's a lot of GIFVs. Unfortunately, they're not supported on here at the moment (just found out when I tried to embed one).

Would it be possible to support embedding them on here using the image BBCode?

• Like 1

You can still use the orignal gif format once you click "Embed" and look at the right hand side of the image:

t3XvaJM.png

The problem with that though is the big file sizes; users will likely be uploading longer and higher quality animations to Imgur now to take advantage of the new file format, so that'll push up the old GIF sizes.

The problem with that though is the big file sizes; users will likely be uploading longer and higher quality animations to Imgur now to take advantage of the new file format, so that'll push up the old GIF sizes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure Imgur compresses the images during the upload process to decrease the size of them.

So "GIFV" is just Imgur's way of being special and trying to hide the fact that people can upload videos now (Suppose they're trying to distance themselves from gfycat, for some reason), the files themselves are plain MP4 with a WebM fallback.

I'm pretty sure we already have bbcode for normal videos, I just can't remember it off the top of my head :laugh: