American cereals are unhealthy!

-=Obligatory=-

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide!

The Invisible Killer

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

• is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
  • contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
  • may cause severe burns.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
  • has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination Is Reaching Epidemic Proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

• as an industrial solvent and coolant.
  • in nuclear power plants.
  • in the production of styrofoam.
  • as a fire retardant.
  • in many forms of cruel animal research.
  • in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
  • as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The Horror Must Be Stopped!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

Many products with ingredients that are not easy to pronounce have the possibility to be very unhealthy for you especially since the percentage of the ingredients are not listed. The biggest issue is that there is no percentage listed in daily value for sugar on any box, candy or bag.  Max amount of sugar per day for men is 36 grams or 9 teaspoons or 3 tablespoons.  For women it is 24 grams or 6 teaspoons or 2 tablespoons.   There is also the issue that very few people eat the recommended serving of cereal but normally 8x the amount, as 3/4 a cup of cereal is a small amount of cereal to the average person.

Since the industry switched pushing for low and calories to make up for the removal of the ingredients that added flavor they have substituted it with sugar so it still tastes good even though excess sugar is turned into fat once processed by the body.  What you will see from the USDA link is that they have slowly been increasing the recommended amount of sugar over time unfortunately.

The only way to make things more healthy here in the USA is to ban all this extra processed food and bad practices for food production.  The reason this has probably not been done is because it is cheaper to produce processed food and preserve it for longer periods of time then to only allow natural food that is brought up naturally.  As if the prices increases then it is possible that sales go down in multiple industries as eating healthy is more expensive than eating unhealthy due to the lower cost of processed goods vs the cost of maintaining and producing natural food.  For those that have have fresh food vs the processed food can instantly tell the difference in the higher quality of the natural food.

I noticed obesity rates increased once the processed food rate went up.  There are a large amount of chemicals and other elements added to food that the human body cannot properly process at maximum efficiency.  You can still eat processed food but it should be limited to in quantity and large breaks should be taken between intake. 

Reading Material:

http://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Gluten_Free_Ebola

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363283-recommended-daily-allowance-of-sugar/

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sugar-per-day/

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=49231

I didn't know anyone still ate cereal.

I suppose grade school children do sometimes if they have lazy parents.

unfortunately, no. lots of people eat it.  if they did not, we would not have shelves of it in the supermarket!

Last night, I was shocked to see truth about this General Mills cereals! I will not buy them anymore!

:rolleyes:

Do you drink water? Did you realize that too much water can kill you? How about oxygen?

Dumbest thing I've seen posted in a while.

• Like 3

:rolleyes:

Do you drink water? Did you realize that too much water can kill you? How about oxygen?

are you comparing the one natural resource, which no living being is able to live without?  to a highly processed sugar laden snack, which also contains unsavory ingredients?

:x

I don't get the juxtaposition between TSP and cereal. Many chemicals are multipurpose, and their effects on human health vary greatly with respect to the amount. Salt, for example, is used to melt ice on roads in freezing conditions. It, mixed with water, is horribly corrosive to many metals. It can also be used as an abrasive for scrubbing and cleaning. Yet, we also use it as seasoning. Baking soda can be used to help smother fires, yet we use it frequently in toothpaste, where it does not deprive us of air. Water, drowning, etc. I can't imagine any material that isn't lethal given sufficient amounts.

Maybe the FDA really is out to get you, but they are as responsible for the warning labels that are there as the ones that aren't.

I don't get the juxtaposition between TSP and cereal. Many chemicals are multipurpose, and their effects on human health vary greatly with respect to the amount. Salt, for example, is used to melt ice on roads in freezing conditions. It, mixed with water, is horribly corrosive to many metals. It can also be used as an abrasive for scrubbing and cleaning. Yet, we also use it as seasoning. Baking soda can be used to help smother fires, yet we use it frequently in toothpaste, where it does not deprive us of air. Water, drowning, etc. I can't imagine any material that isn't lethal given sufficient amounts.

Maybe the FDA really is out to get you, but they are as responsible for the warning labels that are there as the ones that aren't.

And people also react strongly to the idea that ammonia might be used in modern meat production, but ammoniac salt was used in baking for centuries, still eaten in licorice. Its good to know what's in your food, and organic food is good, but people freak out about this too easy I think.

As for sugar: its fine if you don't eat too much. I tend not to buy these highly processed cereals simply because I don't think they taste very good compared to more natural cereals. A tiny bit of sugar added to natural cereals doesn't hurt though. I don't drink sodas normally, either, so...

I think we need to make a distinction between those chemicals that we cannot avoid ingesting (e.g.: most food and water naturally can naturally contain trace chemicals that are toxic in large amounts) and those that we choose to add to our food for non-essential purposes such as modifying texture or shape, or extend it's shelf life so that it can sit in a shipping container or gather dust in a grocery store for longer periods of time, thereby increasing the manufacturer's profits at the (potential) expense of health and nutrition.

One way to look at it is this is all about risk mitigation, maximizing your intake of nutritious foods while minimizing your intake of toxic substances that can damage your body over the long term. The better you are at it, the lower the risk that you'll be kicking over at 50+ from a stroke, heart attack or cancer.

why skip the honey?    unpasteurized honey is one is the natures most healthy and nutritious foods!

not all sugars are created equal.   buckwheat honey is my favorite health foods!!!

aspartame (which i assume you are referring to, with your "nutrisweet" comment)   is way worse.

seriously, natural, unpasteurized honey is one of the best things to consume!

ps. cranberries.....    unless you are using the freeze dried or frozen kind.... the cranberries you are consuming are most likely not that great for you.

if you are using freeze dried... then HIGH FIVE.   freeze dried foods are amazing.  almost all the nutrition available at your easy convenience!

(costly though... but i still think it is worth it!)

I try to keep sugar down as much as possible. Just my own preference. Cranberries are loaded with vitamin C and fiber, so I put a couple of teaspoons in for that. Oh, I also drink coffee.... way to much in the morning. Sorry, I'm 58 so I need that or jumper cables to get started in the morning. :p

Most cereals are full of sugar. In fact most fat free products are full of sugar or artificial sweeteners that are worse

Which was one of the dumbest things we ever done. We took out the fat because we were all terrified by it, but just replaced it with sugar. We should have invested in reinforcing the message of moderation, but we went all quick-fix.

Later, I'm going to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Like 1

I try to keep sugar down as much as possible. Just my own preference. Cranberries are loaded with vitamin C and fiber, so I put a couple of teaspoons in for that. Oh, I also drink coffee.... way to much in the morning. Sorry, I'm 58 so I need that or jumper cables to get started in the morning. :p

i understand.     actually honey can give you a boost too.      and don't call it sugar.  it is sugar for purposes of diabetics... but if you are not a diabetic, eating honey (unprocessed) is actually great for you.

and you did not say what cranberries you use?      cannot be fresh ones, since it not really likely at all.

as for the ones covered in vegetable oil, and with added sugar (most likely named grape juice in the ingredient list)... i am not a fan either.   

cranberries are AMAZING... but eating this is NOT:

Original-Dried-Cranberries-6513.png

frozen, or freeze dried -   trust me, this is the only way to get full benefits. unless you live in a region that allows you to collect them fresh.. (but i seriously doubt it)

PS.   depending on how you make coffee and where you get the beans... coffee can be totally amazing for health too.  so don't worry about that then. ;)

I didn't know anyone still ate cereal.

I suppose grade school children do sometimes if they have lazy parents.

I'm a young adult now and I still eat cereals from time to time, although I generally go for the healthier choice over the popular ones when I do.

When I was a kid and teenager my breakfasts used to be either cereals, or milk + toasts with either olive oil (or tomato + olive oil), margarine or marmelade; or "Mar?a" style cookies (I don't really know the English way of saying it). Now that I think, probably going for a piece of fruit would be better...

What would be an appropriate breakfast?

What would be an appropriate breakfast?

eggs :)      amazing superfood (if you can find free run ones, from the farm that you trust)

eating 3 eggs a day is totally cool!    i eat 3 eggs for breakfast with some tomatoes everyday!

makes me feel good.    it basically has everything you body needs!   very few food are as versatile.

in the order of preference (poached, sunny side up, scrambled)

add fired sweet onions there with tomatoes, and we have a WINNER BREAKFAST.

Yeah, so I have at least 3 boxes of Lucky Charms in my pantry.  Got them on sale, like $1.15 a box.  Whohoo!  I can't wait to eat up.  Yes I know it has sugar in it, but I also run about 25 miles a week and stay active.  Staying active lets me eat lots of cereal and cookies, well not to much but I do enjoy them when I get them.  

are you comparing the one natural resource, which no living being is able to live without?  to a highly processed sugar laden snack, which also contains unsavory ingredients?

:x

I never said that cereal was healthy did I? I was pointing out that just because you see an ingredient which is toxic in large amounts doesn't suddenly mean it makes the food product toxic.

TSP in small amounts (like you'll find in cereals) will do you no harm. TSP in large amounts will do you some harm. Likewise water in normal amounts won't kill you, but if I suddenly made you drink 200 gallons of it in 1 hour you'd most likely die.

Now if he made a post saying how unhealthy cereal is because of the amount of sugar it has, then it's not a stupid post. But he made one containing a single ingredient, hence "stupid post"

I never said that cereal was healthy did I? I was pointing out that just because you see an ingredient which is toxic in large amounts doesn't suddenly mean it makes the food product toxic.

no, it does not make it toxic, as in seriously damaging...  but it certainly is toxic, as in safe for most people unless they have liver or kidney problems.

thing is,  why eat the stuff that is toxic to unhealthy people?     surely you understand that it is nowhere near healthy?  and, as such, why bother eating it? when there are tons of better alternatives?

sorry, but this "it is ok in small amounts in food" bullcrap has being slowly poisoning peoples minds for way too long.

unless i am in a dire situation, or completely out of options, i make a rational decision to avoid this "acceptably healthy" garbage!

. Likewise water in normal amounts won't kill you, but if I suddenly made you drink 200 gallons of it in 1 hour you'd most likely die.

A very very bad allegory!!!  Shame on you. I cannot believe you still insist on comparing WATER consumption to toxic additives!  :|   There is no relation and no comparison is appropriate in any way!

Hell, the only harm water can do -  is explode you from the sheer volume.    200 gallons!   are you even listening to yourself!????

Hmmm.... Lets simplify the ingredients now:

Whole grain oats, sugar, probably sugar, sugar, carbs, carbs, sugar, salt, sugar, trisodium phosphate, oil, colors.

"TSP is used as a buffer to adjust the acidic nature of the cereal dough. In home cleaning products TSP is used in large quantities. In our food products we use very small amounts. Theoretically, any food grade base could be used: sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, ammonium hydroxide, ammonium phosphate, etc. At General Mills we have found that TSP works best in our particular products, and has been approved as safe for use in food by the Food and Drug Administration." - General Mills statement on TSP. TSP is a strongly alkaline (base) product. That's part of why it is used as a cleaner; it is very effective at removing grease. But being a source of phosphorous it is not used in detergents much anymore. It certainly is harmful to ingest by itself or in any concentrated form. But apparently cereal makers have found that in small amounts it is useful to balance the acidity of other components of the dough.

You do realize that you use a mild alkaline chemical all the time - sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)? Often it used in combination with an acid to produce CO2 (a gas).

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=108;t=000685;p=1

This has been happening for quite a while

A very very bad allegory!!!  Shame on you. I cannot believe you still insist on comparing WATER consumption to toxic additives!  :|   There is no relation and no comparison is appropriate in any way!

Hell, the only harm water can do -  is explode you from the sheer volume.    200 gallons!   are you even listening to yourself!????

No. He's making the point that toxicity by definition is always discussed in relation to effect on an organism given a certain amount.

Also, excessive water intake can be damaging or lethal. One condition is hyponatremia in which a person, for whatever reason, has insufficient blood sodium levels. This can be due to excessive water intake, and has led to the death of many athletes who drink too much water without replenishing other electrolytes. The water essentially dilutes the salts in their circulatory system, to the degree that their hearts fail.

No. He's making the point that toxicity by definition is always discussed in relation to effect on an organism given a certain amount.

Also, excessive water intake can be damaging or lethal. One condition is hyponatremia in which a person, for whatever reason, has insufficient blood sodium levels. This can be due to excessive water intake, and has led to the death of many athletes who drink too much water without replenishing other electrolytes. The water essentially dilutes the salts in their circulatory system, to the degree that their hearts fail.

yeah yeah yeah.... i know exactly what he meant.     

still, it is not an acceptable comparison.           water, by definition is not toxic.      

diluting elements what are potentially essential, is not the same as intake of substances that are poisonous, in anything other then minute amounts!

there is a difference!  so, it is a very bad comparison to base you argument upon! and i am sick of people using WATER as an excuse to approve the consumption of toxins!!!

So,

Is there anything that's healthy to eat now a days? Is there anything health now a days, might be a better question?

yeah,   

rewind back around 200 years and think of what people were eating before the mass industrialization.   

cannot go wrong.    everything that is unprocessed is good.

processed stuff for mass consumption and steady long term shelf life is not!

anything animal, grown on a farm, not at an animal plant/fabric!  

and organic vegetables.    stuff that usually expires reasonably, and is not expected to lie on a shelf of a supermarket for month looking all the same

good quality oils/fats are great too.  nothing bad about eating healthy fats! only good.   it is the sugar that makes you fat, not fats!

Many products with ingredients that are not easy to pronounce have the possibility to be very unhealthy for you especially since the percentage of the ingredients are not listed. The biggest issue is that there is no percentage listed in daily value for sugar on any box, candy or bag.  Max amount of sugar per day for men is 36 grams or 9 teaspoons or 3 tablespoons.  For women it is 24 grams or 6 teaspoons or 2 tablespoons.   There is also the issue that very few people eat the recommended serving of cereal but normally 8x the amount, as 3/4 a cup of cereal is a small amount of cereal to the average person.

Since the industry switched pushing for low and calories to make up for the removal of the ingredients that added flavor they have substituted it with sugar so it still tastes good even though excess sugar is turned into fat once processed by the body.  What you will see from the USDA link is that they have slowly been increasing the recommended amount of sugar over time unfortunately.

The only way to make things more healthy here in the USA is to ban all this extra processed food and bad practices for food production.  The reason this has probably not been done is because it is cheaper to produce processed food and preserve it for longer periods of time then to only allow natural food that is brought up naturally.  As if the prices increases then it is possible that sales go down in multiple industries as eating healthy is more expensive than eating unhealthy due to the lower cost of processed goods vs the cost of maintaining and producing natural food.  For those that have have fresh food vs the processed food can instantly tell the difference in the higher quality of the natural food.

I noticed obesity rates increased once the processed food rate went up.  There are a large amount of chemicals and other elements added to food that the human body cannot properly process at maximum efficiency.  You can still eat processed food but it should be limited to in quantity and large breaks should be taken between intake. 

Reading Material:

http://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Gluten_Free_Ebola

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363283-recommended-daily-allowance-of-sugar/

http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sugar-per-day/

http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=49231

36 grams? There are 22 grams of sugar in 8 ounces on orange juice.