American cereals are unhealthy!

The problem is your "risk" isn't based off any objective standard its based off the completely fallacious assumption that natural = safer. A belief that is founded in ignorance and clinged to as strongly as any religion in spite of any evidence that is presented.

Sugar is Sugar thers no there is no recommended daily allowance of HFCS because its Sugar. We don't determine if something is safe by its origin hell something can be beneficial at small dosages and lethal at high dosages so this entire notion of "safe" is childish. 

pretty much this; being labelled as "natural" doesn't mean it's good or safe; in fact Ricin is all natural, yet even in small doses it's pretty lethal  :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricin

Also i pretty much prefer to eat something my mother can recognize as food instead of some crap that tastes better but is full of crap.

• Like 1

Your body doesn't care its all broken down by stomach acid.

True, but i think MStefanik meant that an Apple has better sugars (fructose) then a donut (processed sugars); the fact that a human body will assimilate one more faster than the other means that one is less bad for a human then the other.

• Like 1

Eating an apple is healthier for you than eating a donut, even though they both contain sugars.

The reason for that is because donuts don't contain vitamins; sugar isn't the only thing to consider.

That's laugh out loud stupid, Your body doesn't care its all broken down by stomach acid.

To my knowledge fruit actually contains 'chains' of sugar molecules, making them better for long-term energy storage.

• Like 1

That's laugh out loud stupid, Your body doesn't care its all broken down by stomach acid.

the joke is on you.   the speed of sugar absorption varies a lot from apple (that comes with fiber) to donut (white flour)   -   and the speed of absorption matter more then the total amount of sugar.

also,  i do not think calling someone elses opinion laugh out loud stupid is appreciated or even approved here.     so i will not call you or your opinion the same.

The reason for that is because donuts don't contain vitamins; sugar isn't the only thing to consider.

That what I was trying to get across with my "the delivery system matters" comment, although perhaps I wasn't being as clear about it. My assertion is that simply saying that "sugar is sugar" creates a kind of nutritional false equivalence, when it's far more complex than that.

• Like 1

That what I was trying to get across with my "the delivery system matters" comment, although perhaps I wasn't being as clear about it. My assertion is that simply saying that "sugar is sugar" creates a kind of nutritional false equivalence, when it's far more complex than that.

yeah, but people are hard to convince.    even though common sense should, in principle, tell them that apple and a donut with the same total sugar are vastly different,

someone will try to prove it is not, with foam at their mouth...

just because "sugar is sugar" :no:

it is like saying "fat is fat"  or "protein is protein"      when there is a huge difference in the sources of both of those!

My assertion is that natural foods are healthier. Eating an apple is healthier for you than eating a donut, even though they both contain sugars. If you can find apples that haven't been constantly hosed down with pesticides, all the better for you. But I also want to be clear that this is how I choose to eat, and I have no interest in dictating what foods other people should or shouldn't eat. I'll give my opinion, but ultimately what you put in your mouth is your own business.

More nutritious doesn't mean healthier, necessarily. That would suggest that less nutritious is less healthy, which is nonsense. You only need a certain amount of nutrients and having more of them doesn't make you healthier.

Eating habits are what are healthy or not, not the foods in your example. (Though some foods are unhealthy).

The sugar in the apple is a less complex sugar than the sugar in the donut. Your body should burn simple sugars (carbs, etc...) faster than complex sugars (carbs, etc...). The more you burn, the less your body will store.

The sugar in the apple is a less complex sugar than the sugar in the donut. Your body should burn simple sugars (carbs, etc...) faster than complex sugars (carbs, etc...). The more you burn, the less your body will store.

Sure, so dessert sugars are more fattening and you have to eat desserts more sparingly than fruit. But then, if you have a dessert a day and you still remain in good shape, and aren't getting any fatter from it, I don't see how its a health concern. Your body is still breaking down and using the sugars.

I checked some cereal companies are Post, Kellogg's, and others don't have that Trisodium phosphate at the store. I believe it is General Mills cereals only.

Eat right, exercise, stay positive. Don't stress, don't smoke, don't drink, don't have anonymous relationships and... you'll die anyways.

You know the worst thing for you health, wasting the time you have to worry about it by worrying about it. You don't live very long regardless. An Apple is better for your body than a Candy bar, a Candy bar makes you happier than an Apple.

Everything in moderation, enjoy life, don't worry so much, it'll all be over soon.

The problem is your "risk" isn't based off any objective standard its based off the completely fallacious assumption that natural = safer. A belief that is founded in ignorance and clinged to as strongly as any religion in spite of any evidence that is presented.

Hey, don't forget about that all important detoxing regiments. Colon cleansing, ionic foot baths, and the like. A real MD would never send you for anything like that, but who wants to trust medical professionals who dedicate their entire life to medicine?

• 2 years later...

I wanted to reply to a bunch of the comments here but i will sum it up with one line..

Because it TASTES GOOD !

We like sweet & salty foods and we also like a long shelf life on products.

Although the story here is interesting.. and who says small doses is safe for you ?

Studies are often limited and the FDA is notorious for pushing through stuff they know is harmful.

And this if course applies to my Canadian cereals here LOL

Myself i am a taller sort of thinner guy and a but older so i remember how food *was* in the past.

Back before everything was about Granola eating nature boys.

I look for packaging that says LOTS of sugar and extra fat.

For one i won't eat the whole box at once.. i take it with moderation.

Second i can stand to gain some weight.. unlike some people.

Isn't there a preservative that was demonized BHT or BHA that was used on cereal box plastic linings declared bad ?

Stories like this are typical.

Take for example Teflon.. it was known from day one that it causes cancer under some circumstances.

It was created for the purpose of making carpets that were easy to clean.

It was sort of accidental that they found out it make s slippery frying pan.

I have seen pans with the Teflon chipped off and where does it go ? In your food.

And what causes cancer with it ? High heat.. they knew all along that heating it causes a toxic gas emission.

You may think well.. it has to be hot *enough.. true, fair enough.. BUT !

How many frying pans have you seen burned really really bad over & over ?

As long as it is not harming the environment like damaging the ozone layer or killing off our bee populations i am fine with it.

If it trims down our population then fine.. there is plenty of us and we are disposable.. our planet is not.

And as a bonus i get delicious food that last for ages on the shelf then bonus.

I won't be getting in line at the health food store for weirdo FLAX cereal etc.

Although i am know for making my own Oatmeal at home with a variety of ingredients (instead of cereal)

Peter said put Butter on your Pop-Tarts but i say put Nutella one there.. it says it's great fr breakfast right on the container ROFL

Oh and the guy who said it's just natural salts..

So is bleach LOL

Bleach is made from salt & water guy.. so is the date rape drug GHB.

My breakfast is the same every day (and my doctor approves). I eat a 1/2 cup of cereal every morning. Its an organic, high fiber (11 grams) with only 4 ingredients. I throw in a few fresh raspberries or blueberries and a splash of organic soy milk. With this, an organic three egg-whites, scrambled and seasoned with a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper.  I've been eating that same breakfast for at least the last 8 years (with the exception being when vacationing).  

I can't say how good or bad regular cereal is, I'm not a chemical engineer nor am I a nutritionist. All I know is MY cereal gets a big thumbs up from my health care provider and that's good enough for me. 

For the sake of transparency, For the first 3 or those 8 years, I ate what was basically the same cereal with 5 ingredients (raisins) but they stopped making that variant so I'm proud to say I've be raisin free for 5 years...