2 Years With Linux

I use my home computer for internet, watching movies, etc... so Linux is enough.

Every few years however, I miss Winamp :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use my home computer for internet, watching movies, etc... so Linux is enough.

Well, you know.....it really whipped the llamas ass. So i feel your pain.

• Like 2

OK, this conversation is not productive lol

It never will be.  Unfortunately its hard for most people to look at something objectively.  Everyone takes everything personally.  They actually align with brands. I use both Linux and Windows.  I personally feel the only real comparison is that they both run on x86 hardware.  Beyond that they are pretty much like apples and oranges.  I don't see Linux ever taking a sizable chunk of windows.  I don't see Windows losing market share.  I feel the products are used by the people that can and should use them already.  It just won't change much.  As someone who has enjoyed technology all his life, I really like having the choice of Linux.  I'll never use it as a main OS though.  I have honestly tried for just the sake of doing it and there always seems to be a compromise.  The fact is I just don't seem to have any limitation or compromises with Windows.  This was true in the past but it's just not anymore.  Since I know how to avoid malware and junkware, that doesn't really apply to me.   I don't even have to reinstall anymore.  Everything stays fast and works well. Either way figured I'd chime in.

<snip>

I don't always agree with you, but I applaud your post. Objectively viewed, well-stated without misrepresentation.

I love Linux personally, and really want to get back on board with trying to use it daily, as opposed to just live CDs/USBs or Hyper-V / VMWare installs.  My only problem currently is that I need to get my main OS drive imaged (as you stated) to ensure I don't run into any issues, as reading about GRUB/UEFI being finicky does worry me a bit.

Nonetheless, tim_s is absolutely correct in saying that having only one toolset may not be ideal. Being in IT, it goes without saying that it's best to keep your mind sharp. Knowing more has never been a bad thing, and easily increases your worth in this career field. (Y)

same here. mostly browsing the web, programming a bit, watching movies, doing some bit of office and email. for the things i need and am doing linux is a perfect fit. additionally i have stopped to worry about viruses, adware, spyware and so on. and i have learnt quite a bit more of how computers and os works than i would have with windows where in comparison everything feels just thrown together in an uninspired way. plus lately i have long thought about the advantages of open source software and not just from a money point of view but also generally. i like the idea behind it and it's really better and a sign of modern society.

as a winamp alternative you might have a look at qmmp which should suit your needs very well.

• Like 1

Its doesn?t beat 25 years or help your argument kicking a dead horse like this. It?s pretty clear both OS?s have had exploits that span two decades and likely have many more that have not been discovered, its inevitable.

I fail to see the point in nit-picking at stuff like this, it?s a pointless argument.

Both closed source and open source software have bugs and exploits, if we have seen one thing in the last few years its how insecure any device connected to the internet really is. It doesn?t matter if its running Linux, Windows or any other OS. If someone wants to hack it badly enough they probably will.

• Like 4

I am the type of person who loves supporting the underdog, I really love a challenge and couple this with the fact I moved out of home and have always been a little cheap - Linux became more important.

I left the company to start my own venture in 3D environments and the cost of using pre-built machines did not make sense in the early days and a lot of the software within Windows was superior and filled the gaps created within the universities teaching VR.

Please, by all means, go for it and use HP-UX, if you like a challenge.  :laugh:

This days, while i still like to invent, discover and study, i give more priority to have a good toolset of software/os and be more productive, having more time for things that are more important to me. And fiddling with an obscure app isn't.

Its doesn?t beat 25 years or help your argument kicking a dead horse like this. It?s pretty clear both OS?s have had exploits that span two decades and likely have many more that have not been discovered, its inevitable.

I fail to see the point in nit-picking at stuff like this, it?s a pointless argument.

Both closed source and open source software have bugs and exploits, if we have seen one thing in the last few years its how insecure any device connected to the internet really is. It doesn?t matter if its running Linux, Windows or any other OS. If someone wants to hack it badly enough they probably will.

I agree and they were fixed anyway so we are safer now.

I think the main issue is the lack of aggressive automated testing suites. I can't but feel those exploits are only being found when someone is intentionally looking at a particular place.

actually it's 2:1 now...  :D

but i agree and always said that probably all os still have many undiscovered bugs we will only hear in the next years.

This day marks my second year using Linux 100%. Didn't even once go back to Windows.

The main reason I left Windows, was the price. And the fact that 90% of my software was already open source.

I started out like most of you, Ubuntu. I tried different distros, and settled for a good year with Debian and its derivatives. (Crunchbang, Mint Debian, etc.)

Debian just, works. Apt-get... Greatest thing since sliced bread... Plus that Orange and Haggis uses it also.

Using Linux for so long, I get to repairing Win 7 on my Mom's computer. Took like 20 minutes to install. Oh, and then 100+ updates.... Takes a good 3 hours after many resets. :angry:  I can install Linux like 10x in that time...

Then about a year ago, my Dad started to like it, he asked me to install it along side of his Windows install. A few months later, he wiped his Windows partition out. It just is 10x easier with no antivirus, no malware to worry about, no defragging. He can easily reinstall Linux and be back to his humble self in about 10 minutes...

It just.... works for us....

Your time wasted setting Linux up and fighting with its numerous bugs costs a lot more than $99 which Microsoft asks for Windows 8.1. Sounds you have just too much time to waste.

It just doesn't work, sorry.

I mean, yeah, sometimes it does work. But that's like every other Friday.

That is the most brutal anti Linux article I have skimmed thought. Ever.

I actually think it's quite constructive but criticism isn't for everyone (read the positives listed as well if you'd like).

You could draw a list of damning points for any system - this one is just relevant for people that can't grasp that for all the different solutions out there (majority and minority), they all have their failings.

Do you develop for any distro?  Your post seems to imply GNU/Linux is bug free, which is clearly false.

I don't think he said Linux is bug-free, just that, a bug fix will be 10x faster than any Windows app.

I cleaned the thread a bit

Lets keep it civil or i will hand out warnings

All software has bugs, whether it be known ones or ones that no one knows about and will find X years down the line

Windows has its advantages and disadvantages

so does Linux

If you don't like either OS then its simple don't use it, but don't act like a child and slag others off for using something you don't like.

• Like 3

And how long did the number generation flaw in the Linux kernel remain unpatched for? These things happen, software occasionally has bugs.

i read today, that also ms works on the linux kernel which might explain one or two things. i would do it like with the russians. better keep them out!  :)

Do you develop for any distro?  Your post seems to imply GNU/Linux is bug free, which is clearly false.

Funny comment regarding dictatorships, they actually will go to GNU/Linux before Windows.

i don't directly develop for any distro, but i released my own distro, called Snapshot-Linux which includes a nice little tool programmed by myself in python language

i read today, that also ms works on the linux kernel which might explain one or two things. i would do it like with the russians. better keep them out!  :)

i don't directly develop for any distro, but i released my own distro, called Snapshot-Linux which includes a nice little tool programmed by myself in python language

What does it do?

What does it do?

adds some ppas, installs some software not in the default repos, updates the kernel, patches the kernel i/o scheduler, offers several ram tweaks and the creation of a swap file. 

Good for you OP

I began my migration from Windows around 8 years ago and have been completely Windows free for roughly 5 years, I will never go back to Windows. Sometimes I will get the feeling I might be missing out on something but then a call from a relative or friend will come to fix their Windows machine and after a few minutes with Windows I remember why I left in the first place. 

• Like 2

I decided to be a hypocrite and put mint 17 XFCE on a flash drive, thats what Im running right now.

First thing I noticed is linux finally figured out that some mice have more than 1 or 2 buttons - my Logitech Anywhere MX's sidebuttons (fwd & back) work for the 1st time.

I always thought that was ridiculous it wouldnt support that OOB...
Technology is supposed to make things better/easier. 
I will say that I am on my T430 right now, and no need to drop into CLI yet. :)

First thing I noticed is linux finally figured out that some mice have more than 1 or 2 buttons - my Logitech Anywhere MX's sidebuttons (fwd & back) work for the 1st time.

*buntus have supported those side-mouse buttons since years. at least for the several logitec mices i had there was never a problem. 

same with touchpads. i don't know about the implementation on ubuntu (used that only several years ago) but on kubuntu scrolling and touchpad guestures are no problem, while on windows i always had to install these synaptic driver, you know that one with the ugly systray icon. 

Good on you OP, I wish I could use Linux full time. Its just gaming for me, which isn't there yet unfortunately.

I dislike Linux distro's in general for laptops and desktops, mostly due to lack of commercial software and triple A games. For mobile it's different since Android has all that but mobile serves a different use for most as well. Since computers come with an OS installed I fail to see the value in changing it to any particular distro of Linux for most general users as there has for many years been some kind of resentment from the Linux crowd and hopes that it would overtake Windows on the desktop but if it didn't happen with Vista then it never will. Operating systems are first an foremost, platforms to run software so usually the choice of OS comes down to the specialized needs of the individual. If you need open source for customizing code....etc then Linux as an OS is as functional as any other. More so for some and less so for others. The whole OS vs OS debates is moot, they all basically do the same things, from spreadsheets to printing. Some want to tinker with code, others want to use iTunes or whatever so there ya go.

I use OSX as my main use computer and Windows on my gaming rig for the obvious reason. Hopefully SteamOS will have the same library that Windows has but I don't see that happening anytime soon even after it's released officially but maybe a year or so down the road afterwards. But then the issue for some like me is compatibility for the collection of old games. It will ultimately come down to how many gamers out there buy a Steam machine, which will help influence more developers to make a linux version and EA needs to get Origin natively on it as does Ubi. I'm surprised EA hasn't tried to make an Origin OS but that would really further fragment the market more so than it already is.