• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Networking

Question

markus    0

Hi,

I currently have a D-Link 614+ Wireless router. I am thinking of increasing the coverage in my house since in certain areas the connection is crap. I know D-Link have the DWl-800AP+ repeater but a friend of mine has one and it keeps giving him trouble (such as resetting every couple of minutes).

What is the best way of increasing wireless coverage? Is there any other way then using the repeater? For instance i know that other companies providing wireless networking products dont have repeaters at all - what would you do in that case?

Thanks,

Mark

3 answers to this question

clonk    2

One way of doing this is adding another Wireless Access Point (WAP) to your network in the area that lacks signal strength. This would probably be easiest method. It could be that the area where you connection is crap is due to brick walls or other signal weakeners and a stronger antenna would not give you the increase you would hope for. Plopping a new WAP in the middle of that deadzone would. When you think about it, 80 bucks (or less) for a WAP, plug it in, 2 minutes of config, and then forget about it and enjoy your new wireless coverage.

markus    0
One way of doing this is adding another Wireless Access Point (WAP) to your network in the area that lacks signal strength. This would probably be easiest method. It could be that the area where you connection is crap is due to brick walls or other signal weakeners and a stronger antenna would not give you the increase you would hope for. Plopping a new WAP in the middle of that deadzone would. When you think about it, 80 bucks (or less) for a WAP, plug it in, 2 minutes of config, and then forget about it and enjoy your new wireless coverage.

Would a WAP require that it is constantly plugged in to another computer? It wouldnt be able to function as a "standalone" device right? Or am i mistaken?

clonk    2

A WAP would need to be connected to the physical network, yes.