The problems with a new build and misinformed boneheads

I am worried about the 120GB SSD, right now it only has Windows 8.1 & Office 2013 installed with all the updates and that alone is 50GB ...

Something besides 8.1 and Office are using space. First, free up 16GB on that SSD by opening an admin cmd prompt and typing "powercfg -h off"

After that, use TreeSizeFree and figure out what else is using space.

I'm using 23GB with Windows 8.1 and Office on my C: OS partition.

Something besides 8.1 and Office are using space. First, free up 16GB on that SSD by opening an admin cmd prompt and typing "powercfg -h off"

After that, use TreeSizeFree and figure out what else is using space.

I'm using 23GB with Windows 8.1 and Office on my C: OS partition.

OK, I have a portable windirstat on there - I'll run it - thanks

the powercfg cmd -- is that just a Windows 8.1 thing ?

Same, couple of my systems here only have 128GB SSD's as the primary and space hasn't mostly been an issue -- the only thing that gets saved elsewhere is games (about 1.5TB worth....) and videos, also a couple TB.  Office, Visual Studio (plus a crapton of libraries and other language stuff like Python and Ruby), Photoshop, etc etc.. it all fits.  And ditto the powercfg suggestion, with 16GB memory it's a big file, personally never use hibernation anyways. And no, powercfg isn't specific to 8.x.

No its a windows vista+ thing I believe.  It just turns off hibernation and deletes the hiberfil.sys file.  You can also move the swap file to the mechanical drive.  It doesn't really do much anymore like it used to.

No that goes back to Vista I believe, it turns off the Hibernate file, which will be the same size as your RAM capacity.

Same, couple of my systems here only have 128GB SSD's as the primary and space hasn't mostly been an issue -- the only thing that gets saved elsewhere is games (about 1.5TB worth....) and videos, also a couple TB.  Office, Visual Studio (plus a crapton of libraries and other language stuff like Python and Ruby), Photoshop, etc etc.. it all fits.  And ditto the powercfg suggestion, with 16GB memory it's a big file, personally never use hibernation anyways. And no, powercfg isn't specific to 8.x.

But that goes back to my post about only experienced users using a 120GB.  You know about powercfg which puts you into that category.

But that goes back to my post about only experienced users using a 120GB.  You know about powercfg which puts you into that category.

Not really, even with it enabled I'd still have enough room to spare.. with all the crap I have installed that a non-programmer wouldn't have, there'd be plenty of room, barring a bunch of 40GB+ game installs of course, and even my 10 year old daughter knows that.  Novice doesn't necessarily mean "idiot."

But since you don't know the OPs motivation for this build, let me quote him:

I hope he does appreciate this, I know his hot Dr mom does  :D

See? He's hoping to be "paid" :)

Honestly, i've build too many computers in my lifetime to know that true friends wont make you waste your time for fixing their stuff and leave you unpaid for your time. Iit's just unpolite. :)

I don't know, but I would have just made them get a prebuilt one by dell, hp, or lenovo.

You could have gotten an i5 or an i7 in the price range.  If they aren't gaming then they don't need gaming stuff, if they are gaming they can always upgrade it.

http://www.frys.com/product/8297516?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://www.frys.com/product/7852689?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You could get better pricing if you used an online store or amazon in some cases.  I don't build stuff for anyone, not even my parents.  For my kids I might build one when it comes time, but only if I have easy access to it without driving.  Otherwise dell, hp, or lenovo can warranty and support it.  It has nothing to do with being lazy, it takes about an hour to physically build a system and about 3 hours to load on an os from scratch with drivers, updates, and whatever other software they want on it...that is 4 hours of pay that I would be missing out of my life or 4 hours of free time that I would miss with my family.  I can have a prebuilt computer up and running within an hour, including updates and removing preinstalled stuff.  Under an hour or 5 hours...I don't like anyone enough anymore to spend 5 hours with a computer. 

I gave a friend a surface, he tried to come back to me regarding an issue with the screen...I told him to go to the microsoft store, it is not my problem.

I think that is a bit exaggerated.  I can have one built in 30 mins, using an updated windows installer, installed in 1 hr total with little to no updates and whatever software has to be installed on either.

Not really exaggerated. 30-45 min to install os and get to desktop. Drivers may need to be installed, another 10 to 20 for that. Office about 15 min depending on version. And if you don't have any disks with slip steamed updates, ill see you in an hour or so. How are you grabbing your updates? Wsusoffline only grabs critical not recommended. I do all recommended and critical. I don't use hacked disks, I slipstream everything myself

Well I delivered the system last night.  He couldnt stop saying Thank You.  He was very grateful.  I asked him about his reservations in regards to his friend's comments & he said that his mother gave him good advice, and that was "you dont ask your plumber to do heart surgery"

I said, "good advice" - his friend was a waiter, where as - well me being in IT made me a better source of info.

So with that aside, I showed him what software I put on there, and how fast everything was - he was freaking out, and by the time I got back to my house, he had already sent me some grfx & a video he was working on.  Said his laptop wouldnt even open the software where this thing did the job instantly.

So all is well.  

Thanks for the comments previously. :)

• Like 2

Well I delivered the system last night.  He couldnt stop saying Thank You.  He was very grateful.  I asked him about his reservations in regards to his friend's comments & he said that his mother gave him good advice, and that was "you dont ask your plumber to do heart surgery"

I said, "good advice" - his friend was a waiter, where as - well me being in IT made me a better source of info.

So with that aside, I showed him what software I put on there, and how fast everything was - he was freaking out, and by the time I got back to my house, he had already sent me some grfx & a video he was working on.  Said his laptop wouldnt even open the software where this thing did the job instantly.

So all is well.  

You are very welcome, glad all of MY help paid off :p

So all is well.  

so, did his mom thank you too?  :rolleyes:  :shifty:

• Like 1

so, did his mom thank you too?  :rolleyes:  :shifty:

No... right before I left their house, she said "Im gonna be in the bedroom so let me know before you leave" --  Hmmmmm

But I wouldnt try anything, she is my fiance's coworker.  But the thought was ...... entertaining.

• Like 1

No... right before I left their house, she said "Im gonna be in the bedroom so let me know before you leave" --  Hmmmmm

But I wouldnt try anything, she is my fiance's coworker.  But the thought was ...... entertaining.

You could always tell her about this funny feeling you have in your shorts and ask her for her medical opinion... :shiftyninja:

So sc302 was right, you went all the trouble and didn't even got paid!  :laugh:  :woot:  :rofl:  :uberhump:

jk

• Like 2

You make chippy shots, state your "opinion" and say you are out.  Interesting tactics, a bit immature.  It's a signs of modern times.  Everyone wants to say their peace but have no interest in listening (not saying change your mind).

I'm more than happy to discuss this topic but the "facts" You pointed out earlier in this thread were just laughable, that's why I wasn't really in the mood to discuss it any further.

Never once did I say AMD is better choice for high-end than Intel (not that it's a bad choice - Piledriver is what? 2 years old now? And mostly can still keep up), the TDP is a worn out choice to bring up, on electricity prices at 0.05cents it doesn't even make a dent. Your whole system eats more than the CPU does. It's cheaper. Not to even mention APU's. That's why I said, go with what You like and stop bring up fud from Anand And Toms which do not show any real world usual workloads. People don't buy PC's to benchmark all day long

Gaming, 1-2 FPS difference. Yeah, that will kill me.

• Like 2

As for the 120 gb ssd being filled up too quickly, just disable hibernation, either reduce the size or disable page swap, and I recommend installing wise disk cleaner to clean out any temporary files as well as all the windows update installation files

I realize electricity is an issue for people in other countries, but its not something people around here even think of, consider, care about.  And I would imagine the difference between the 2 might equate to .10 cents over a year.. think about it

As far as heat - you might want to check again - their temps are not high.

The case  - yeah its pretty ugly.

But I am getting some weird issues, stalls, strange things like USB stuff not getting recognized, but it was recognized last boot...

So I need to see if I can find the culprit... fun fun

I'm in the USA and I try to shave every watt off anything I can :rofl:

My upgrade from my Ivy Bridge i5 to my new i5-4690k shaved almost 10 watts off idle power, which saves me about $8.50 a year in electric... doesn't sound like much, but over an entire house things add up fast... in the past year I cut $200 off my electric bill per year... at around $0.15 per kilowatt hour it can add up.. (15 cents after all fees and taxes, etc)

I'm in the USA and I try to shave every watt off anything I can :rofl:

My upgrade from my Ivy Bridge i5 to my new i5-4690k shaved almost 10 watts off idle power, which saves me about $8.50 a year in electric... doesn't sound like much, but over an entire house things add up fast... in the past year I cut $200 off my electric bill per year... at around $0.15 per kilowatt hour it can add up.. (15 cents after all fees and taxes, etc)

That is admirable for sure.  We pay .09 cents/kilowatt - and try to turn lights off when we leave a room, but thats about it... we leave animal planet playing on big TV for the dogs when we leave :)

I never once cared about gas mileage when looking @ cars either.  Its just the way I was raised, that little things like that dont matter.

I need to redo some of my hard-wired thinking because I am no longer a trust fund baby playing golf for a living, and no longer considered wealthy...LOL

Im too old to latch on to my family's status.  I'd like to be more cost-conscious but it is hard to switch on.

My fiance handles all of the bills, all of the budgeting, etc -- I just know as long as I have my bank card - its all good :blush:

The only reason I know my G37 gets 18mpg is because it was lower before I started using Royal Purple, otherwise ....meh.

I admire you for sure, need to be more like you.

That is admirable for sure.  We pay .09 cents/kilowatt - and try to turn lights off when we leave a room, but thats about it... we leave animal planet playing on big TV for the dogs when we leave :)

I never once cared about gas mileage when looking @ cars either.  Its just the way I was raised, that little things like that dont matter.

I need to redo some of my hard-wired thinking because I am no longer a trust fund baby playing golf for a living, and no longer considered wealthy...LOL

Im too old to latch on to my family's status.  I'd like to be more cost-conscious but it is hard to switch on.

My fiance handles all of the bills, all of the budgeting, etc -- I just know as long as I have my bank card - its all good :blush:

The only reason I know my G37 gets 18mpg is because it was lower before I started using Royal Purple, otherwise ....meh.

I admire you for sure, need to be more like you.

My $200 doesn't sound like much, but not far from me in Pittsburgh this last year some people got hit HARD with electric bills... a lot of people signed up for variable rate plans... and the coldest month of the year I paid $100 in electric... similar KW/h usage bills made it to the news paying over $2,000! for that same month... I can not imagine getting a electric bill higher then $200, let alone $2k! :|  I think some of them ended up paying up to $0.40 a kw/h which is just pure robbery since it costs no where near that to produce

People can be a pain in the ass.  Had someone the other week question the type of system he would need to do his job.  I pretty much told him he wasnt getting a 3k system when a 1k system would do him just fine.  He went on a little about the recommended specs to use the software from the companies website..blah blah blah.  The model files he was opening were no bigger than 5mb in size.  Finally convinced his boss, gave him the laptop, and have not heard one more complaint.

Idiots are everywhere.  Just have to keep your cool and stand your ground.  Which can be hard since all you want to do is bash them in the head with a tack hammer.  But best way to silence these people is to prove them wrong.

• 4 months later...

I have yet to see a water cooling build that is actually silent. Pumps, initial turn on noise etc.

Agree with most of the posts here, can be built for less, no need for many of those parts and it's obvious you haven't been doing this long and are looking to make a buck off your doctor friend.